• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas t maxx trouble

Skettbomb

So I bagged two traxxas t maxx's today for peanuts. The 3.3 and the older smaller engine one. Problem is the ez starts are knackered on both. Now I know the wiring is a mess on both but I'm not sure if the ez start wand is broke too. Do I go out and pay for a couple of brand new ez start systems or is there a cheaper way to get them running??? Maybe just a simple pull start system. Help plz guys I'm stuck and any help would be appreciated

check the wiring on the ezstarts first

take glow plug out so no compression and connect a battery to the ezstart motors see if they turn (the wand has protection built in to prevent frying the ezstart motor if the engine is locked). If they do then re wire first and check the wands again, the contacts can get corroded so try cleaning them up. I would say its unlikely both wands are broken but if it does end up being that just get one second hand one to start both models. One thing to do is not use the wand for the glowstart, use a seperate glowstart.

the traxxas pullstarts are rubbish in my experience (i managed to break a brand new one within 20 pulls on a tmax 2.5) so if you go down that route get a different make.

• Like 1

The wands have a habit of breaking internally which then doesnt power up the glow plug. I used a separate ignitor with the wand on the ezstart.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys iv only just logged back in and saw your comments and I'm greatful. I decided to try and get the 3.3 going first so I took the engine out and took the wires off the ez start and removed the hole lot to see if the one way bearing had broke or become jammed. That seemed fine so I wired it back up with the engine still out of the truck. I tried it again and it started turning the engine over so I now know the ez start motor and wiring are ok. Then the wand wouldn't work so I wired it to a battery and again it turned over. So I know now I need a new wand lol. Anyway if u are still patient enough to be reading.... Now when I try and get it running it's spitting fuel out of the carb. This may seem stupid to most t maxx owners but I'm not a nitro beginner as I have a s50 sledgehammer and hpi hellfire. But the carb on a t maxx is different lol. The high speed needle u can't miss ass it sticks out and also the idle needle on the side is obviouse. But am I missing something or am I just dumb lol ??? Where is the low speed needle ??? And surely that can't be why it's spitting fuel out of the carb. I. Heard so many good things about the t maxx and now iv got one I don't want to give up on it before I get to bash it lol. Be a shame to strip and sell them before I see what they are really capable of. Lol anyway thanks guys

Hi

traxxax carbs only have low and high needles

the mid range is factory set and doesnt need adjusting.

if fuel spitting out carb im thinking rotating engine wrong way check on the ezrun motor for a little red dot near one the terminals and that would be the positive.

im not 100% but i believe the engine should be turning clockwise viewed from the rear so anti clockwise from the front.

If it is doing that and spitting out the fuel you might need to do a full strip down and clean up looking for some form of blockage or the sleeve not in the right way causing a blockage (though it shouldnt be possible to do that)

Lol nice one Carlton tuned out u was rite mate. Got it up and running now so just waiting for some nicer weather so I can give it a proper tune and bash lol. Thanks again mate

• 1 month later...

guys I'm new on here an need help I have a Tmaxx 2.5 it was tuned to the point where it just wouldn't start when I first got it (3.5mm carb gap lol) so I managed to find out that the HSN should be 4 turns out from fully in and the LSN should be flush with the disc around it on the carb slide

iv now set it to this and it starts and runs but it's not right - can anyone tell me what there needles are at on a tuned Tmaxx 2.5 I know it varies from engine to engine but It should still b better than the rich stock settings for break inn