• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ's Tamiya Leopard 2 A6 Tank Build

.AJ.

These are excellent bits of kits, at Modelsport it was my goal to sell one, as nobody ever buys them partially thanks to Hobby Co putting a ludicrous price on them, it is impossible to compete against prices outside the UK. In my last month, I did it, I convinced a guy to get a Leopard A2 instead of a HPI Baja. :lol:

The box is awesome. I would get one of these myself, probably the King Tiger or other WW2 era tank though.

How many hop-ups are available? I saw there are metal tracks and sprockets/wheels (though not sure on their performance being the scale it is), any other cool things? I knew of a good site for them once but can't find it now, I will keep looking!

There are plenty of parts about if know where to looks, Welsh Dragon Models can get hold of most parts ,I've been using this site for my parts

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/

And also this one

http://afv-model.com/4711shop/index.php

Forge Bear on eBay is a also great seller

It was this site, so many goods! http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/tam_l2a6.htm

:D

I would stay well clear, they are known as a problem seller on a Tank forum I'm on, they drop ship most stuff from suppliers in china and delivery times can be stupid :(

Edited by .AJ.

The amount of times ive said to myself "Nope" whilst reading through this is rather astronomical 

..i couldnt dream of building one of these, knowing me id build it upside down or something lol 

great work AJ ..looking forward to seeing you raid your local tesco with it 

• Like 1

Certainly not a build that can be rushed, or should be, and clearly isn't being :) Appetite firmly whet, when I know there is the proper time to devote to a tank, lol ;)

Yep not something to be rushed, I reckon I've done 12-14 hours in the last week not including the countless hours of waiting for paint to dry, at the moment I've run out of paint, so I'll get a pic of where I am and then that will be it for a few days :)

Oh I did make the inboard light boxes

20140517_135333-1_zps60lkncsh.jpg

These bolt to the inside of the upper hull and then sends the light via optical fibres to the clusters

The amount of times ive said to myself "Nope" whilst reading through this is rather astronomical 

..i couldnt dream of building one of these, knowing me id build it upside down or something lol 

great work AJ ..looking forward to seeing you raid your local tesco with it 

You'll be fine Purce, tanks don't have pop-up headlights  :whistling:

• Like 1

There's one, built and rtr on eBay at the mo.....always WW2 stuff going too, though they seem to need more work, and seldom have the sound and light modules etc...

Edited by Noj

Depends what wrong with them really, some spare parts can be hard to find and expensive if you need to replace broken/missing bits. But there is good saving to made if you can find the right model :)

Turret looks great!

How many hours has it taken from you so far? And what gearbox does it use, does it have multiple gears?

I built a Tamiya Bruiser for a customer and it was so awesome, the quality is unmatched and the manual like all Tamiyas is so perfectly detailed in each step. The Bruiser was mostly metal though, how do you feel about the tank where it uses a lot of plastic (I know for good reason), does it take away from any of the quality or feel?