• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MTA4/MGT Owners thread

jari

30 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

have you tried backing off the idle screw ?

I can take the idle screw out the carb completely. The idle screw is set to a 1mm gap, but when the linkage is connected it cannot close the carb in its current setup. in order for the carb to be closed, the linkage arm has to bend down as you see in the third picture. 

ahh ok mate 

maybe the linkage to the carb is to short  or the bit that goes to the carb has slipped round a bit and everything needs to move a 1/4 turn round been long time since i messed with nitros mate 

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

ahh ok mate 

maybe the linkage to the carb is to short  or the bit that goes to the carb has slipped round a bit and everything needs to move a 1/4 turn round been long time since i messed with nitros mate 

Yeah, i'm sure it was running really rich because the carb was open so much that it drives off if you lean it out at all. The previous owner must have messed up the linkage i think, but i'm just not sure exactly what hes done. There are hardly any pictures of this truck to see what it normally looks like or was like from the factory :P 

the black arm onto the carb i think that is on a square shaft into carb . you could slacken the nut and see if you can turn the arm 90 degrees then move rest of linkage round and see if that helps 

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I know not exact same yours but idea similar

Yeah mine doesnt even close at all even when I brake XD That linkage on his is no binding and fighting itself.  I think its because the arms on mine dont move in line with each other the carb is moving in the vertical axis up and down, whereas the linkage arm is moving in the horizontal axis and the little arm between them isnt long enough to make up the difference. 

13 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

the black arm onto the carb i think that is on a square shaft into carb . you could slacken the nut and see if you can turn the arm 90 degrees then move rest of linkage round and see if that helps 

i'll go take another look at it now :)    

it definately looks wrong mate and thinking the servo arm carb linkage is on should rotate 90 degrees but then carb linkage needs rotate as well sorry  i am not more clear or certain about this 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I had a quick search but couldn't find an owners thread, so I created one, and now I've seen this one, which is well old.  So thought I'd post here instead

I've had my MGT since 2004, ragged it to death, raced it at Maxbashing.  Then when the engine (yup, still original .21) got tired some years later, I converted it to brushless and 6s.  It was undriveable.  Then the 6s went up and took the shell and esc with it, and stained everything in a horrible smokeyness, including a patio slab.

Then about 5 years ago I found a set of OE wheels and tyres for a bargain, and a piston/liner set, and that's where I got to.....UNTIL NOW.

Exhaust found, put back on, engine warmed and fired up to run it in.  4 tanks later I have dug out a servo and ordered a body and paint, and a steering servo.

New episode here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i8XwY0xFX4

• Like 1

I would like to add also, which I forgot to mention in my vids, is that although the engine is the stock .21, but wears a Thunder Tiger .28 head, I had to modify the head to fit, as the pcd of the mounting holes are larger on the .28.

On 21/02/2021 at 20:33, Jumper said:

Yeah mine doesnt even close at all even when I brake XD That linkage on his is no binding and fighting itself.  I think its because the arms on mine dont move in line with each other the carb is moving in the vertical axis up and down, whereas the linkage arm is moving in the horizontal axis and the little arm between them isnt long enough to make up the difference. 

i'll go take another look at it now 🙂   

hjave you got any further forward wiith this mate ?

• 2 months later...
On 21/02/2021 at 19:11, Jumper said:

Got a Mini MGT, the manual for both this and the S18 suck. Is this linkage on here correctly?

It doesn't seems right to me as everything is bending all over the place and the carb doesn't close to a normal idle gap. 

IMG_20210221_143852.thumb.jpg.1923c4e294548fe624a37ecb567f8da7.jpg

IMG_20210221_143900.jpg

IMG_20210221_143921.jpg

Yeah, that isn't right surely.

Looking at the 1st photo, is that with the throttle closed?   if so, I would have thought the  90 degree arm you have needs to be another 45 degrees anticlockwise, so it is parallel with the carb.  Looks wrong as you like.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 21:58, Stormbringer said:

hjave you got any further forward wiith this mate ?

2 hours ago, Crazy L said:

Yeah, that isn't right surely.

Looking at the 1st photo, is that with the throttle closed?   if so, I would have thought the  90 degree arm you have needs to be another 45 degrees anticlockwise, so it is parallel with the carb.  Looks wrong as you like.

Its fine I got it fixed a while ago now. The arm on the carb needed rotating round so the arm was in the same position as the carb opening. It had been turned round another 45 degrees or so. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy L said:

Good work Jumper, always frustrating when there's an issue that spoils your RC fun.

yes, it was bugging me but i got it set up ok now. just need some free time and good weather to run it :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

got the new body on looks great :D hopefully i'll get some action shots later. 

IMG_20210603_133323.jpg

IMG_20210603_133401.jpg

IMG_20210603_133425.jpg

I had to replace the exhaust gasket as well as the old one had blown out. 

• Like 1