• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo Storage

DesertForce

I think most people use old ammo boxes with a few holes drilled in them.

Look at this on eBay:

30 7.62 Cal Ammo Box Genuine Army Surplus Ammunition Storage Box Container EMPTY

http://bit.ly/1eqIB7x

Why the need to drill holes in them? Asking as I asked my missus to get me an ammo box for lipo storage for my birthday.

Why the need to drill holes in them? Asking as I asked my missus to get me an ammo box for lipo storage for my birthday.

just put some red hearts on there and an I love you. She will let ya xD.

But ya, why the holes? the hole idea was to keep the fire contained should the decide to blow up for any reason.

I store mine in an ammo box, I bought 2 50cal boxes.

I keep mine in the house without any holes drilled in. Can get all my batteries in one.

In the very unlikely event that a battery fails while in storage, I'd rather hear the ammo box pop open, then I'm half way to chucking the whole box out the window. :)

I'm still trying to find a use for the other ammo box.

Yer just to let some presure out if they vent or do go up.

I've read that people tape plastic sand bags to the lids, so if they do go up it melts the bag and the sand puts the fire out.

• Like 1

Yer just to let some presure out if they vent or do go up.

I've read that people tape plastic sand bags to the lids, so if they do go up it melts the bag and the sand puts the fire out.

Like the sound of that idea :thumbsup:

Will be using that on mine when i get an ammo box...

I dont think a sandbag is going too much help as a lipo fire is, as TiM said, selfsustaining. So it only can be put out out once it burned out. By then the sand may have been forged into glass, you never know :) Apparently appropriately stored LiPos can not just catch fire so the danger should be minimal anyway. I think I will try a mixture of ammo box, a hole drilled in and a sandbag cable tied to the lid :) Oh and Lipobags are helpful too.

Lipo failure : 

a lipo battery is a kin to a bomb, very stable until its damage, by either external or internal.

usual a short happens in the cell pack via external/internal factors, be it human or just age or a bad cell.

as the battery starts to discharge all at once, heat is produced. 

NOW a lipo battery is stable upto a certain temp area, once this is passed the battery starts to go into a thermal runaway. 

the heat builds up and gasses are released, your cell starts to puff up. sometimes they just puff up.

BUT !!! they can go as far as exploding/popping. as this happens the lithium and gasses catch fire.

this huge burst of heat sets of the next cell, it to starts to burn and a chain reaction happens. 

now lest say you have 3x 3s lipo in a biscuit tin, sealed up, and those lipos go poof.

all 9 cells ( 3 cells per pack) go up. they vent out into the sealed tin.

that tin now becomes a bomb its pressurized by the internal venting and BOOM that tin gives up.

the sealed rims let go and the whole tin peels open. 

THATS THE REASON YOU HAVE VENTED LIPO BUNKERS !!!!!! 

AS tim states lipos still burn under water, THIS IS TRUE , also the fact it is a CHEMICAL fire.

i have seen tests where a small 3.7v lipo has been submerged in water then shorted out.

the lipo puffed and then started to produce a burning hot plasma while still submerged.

SO a very good STURDY ammo case or something simmilar, i would not use alloy as it melting temp is fairly low

so stainless steel / steel is a better medium for storage.

why sand ?, sand a inert medium, it wont catch fire it should not cause a short, so is a safe medium to use as a base

hence why we use sand to lay our batterys on.if lipos still burn in water its not a good idea and water is a conducter of electric to. 

the aim is to contain the fire/venting fumes, but NOT put us in danger. a sealed box is not a good idea to store lipos in.

a few holes will help release any build up of gases inside the bunker to.

WATER is only used with SODIUM aka salt, this saline mix will DESTROY contact terminals in the battery rendering it safe to dispose

of at your local waste/recycle center, a months bath in salt water should be fine, 1kg salt to a bucket of water.

• Like 1

I use an ammo box, but wouldent drill holes in it, the idea is not to give the fire access to oxygen

Exactly what I was thinking, fire needs oxygen to keep burning so putting holes in it will give it just that won't it? 

Edited by RCAdam