• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

kyosho Scorpion XXL thread.

Tug

• 2 weeks later...

Gave her a good run this afternoon, all holding up well. Handles quite well, a little twitchy, but that's to be expected from a 2wd buggy. No grip roll, hugs the ground nicely.

Sup guys, 

It was me that had Big Gaz's scorpion off him :)

What can i say? I love it, top end is a bit lower than i'd like but it's the first deliberately rwd rc i've had so that's a whole new level of fun for me :D :D

I'll agree that the rears are poo though so looking back through the thread it seems that truggy wheels would be the way forward(mt look to big to me in that pic), any suggestions/links to anything suitable at all please? The meatier and nobblier the better lol. I've not kept any of the truggies i've had for very long in the past(don't like the drive) so i've never actually looked much into truggy wheels :)

Only other bad things i've noticed so far are that i had one of the nyloc's on the front hinge pin disappear, god knows how as they are recessed. And some of the paint is coming off the centers of the wheels(front and rear) where they are flexing i guess. Other than that it seems all good  :thumbsup:

Sup guys,

It was me that had Big Gaz's scorpion off him :)

What can i say? I love it, top end is a bit lower than i'd like but it's the first deliberately rwd rc i've had so that's a whole new level of fun for me :D :D

I'll agree that the rears are poo though so looking back through the thread it seems that truggy wheels would be the way forward(mt look to big to me in that pic), any suggestions/links to anything suitable at all please? The meatier and nobblier the better lol. I've not kept any of the truggies i've had for very long in the past(don't like the drive) so i've never actually looked much into truggy wheels :)

Only other bad things i've noticed so far are that i had one of the nyloc's on the front hinge pin disappear, god knows how as they are recessed. And some of the paint is coming off the centers of the wheels(front and rear) where they are flexing i guess. Other than that it seems all good :thumbsup:

Make sure you get off-set rims or you'll need to get hub extensions. XTM Grinders are awesome spikes, but sadly discontinued. Not much else out there, hence my choice with the Badlands. The Badlands are very soft, which is typical Proline, but on mud and grass they perform well. Just don't use them on road as they'll be bald in minutes.

Swap the ESC and the car really wakes up! I've yet to try 6s, but 5s is proving a good choice. I've lowered the punch considerably, this helps get off the line quicker.

Go over the car and threadlock everything, most notably the pillow balls, these are forever working loose! (Not now I've threadlocked them!)

Enjoy it!

Yeah I've been looking about and I'd decided on badlands as well, just need to get me some :)

Cheers for the heads up about the pillow balls, I'll check them before I run it next. The standard new car rebuild is on my to do list but you know how it goes.

As for the esc I might be tempted to go 5/6s with it to be honest considering it just needs like a

Yeah I was really surprised with the motor temp on 4s, it wasn't even noticeably warm. So I guess there's plenty of room to play with gearing/voltages :D

I'm sure I read somewhere that the motor was like a 2250kv or something but I think that was just a forum post somewhere, couldn't seem to find anything official though.

One of the promo videos has one running 6s with the "optional esc upgrade" or something no mention of the motor though so in theory kyosho say it'll handle 6s :D

Edited by Ross9999992

Oh yeah, you don't change the can, it's 6s compatible. So as you said, 50 quid ESC and job done. I think it's a 2000kv, I'm sure that's what I read, but I'd need to check.

Am I right in thinking that's just a new shell, red springs and thinner rear wheels?

Pretty much, nicely designed shell with wheel wells that keep the dirt out.

Well that sucks, if it's done that on 5s then that doesn't bode well for 6s :(

Someone elsewhere said they've used mp777 gears in their scorp....part number if102 so that should save a few quid, now where to get an alloy diff cup from?

We're the screws still tight? Thinking about getting some machine threaded ss ones in and rebuilding the whole thing, seems like the standard screws don't like staying in anywhere.

I'm not sure what failed first, but I'd reckon the diff gears. Then the ensuing mayhem of bits of metal getting thrashed about is what caused the cup to split. If you can find where you read about these alternatives, that'd be well worth looking into. An ally diff cup would also be handy, I'm gonna dig through my spares box and see if anything else will fit.

I won't give up on her yet, when she's running she's an amazing ride! ;)

I don't think you need to change the screws, they're made of a seemingly good quality steel. Just threadlock the metal to metal fixings.

I'd look at Savage or Hyper diffs and see what's what.

I replaced all the internals on my MF with Savage gears, I looked at swapping the diff cups as well, and both were close. Hyper case was a better fit.... but a Savage one would have if it was ground down a bit. Alloy Savvy one with Hyper internals maybe :)

I got a selection of diff bits from both if yo uwant to experiment!

I'd look at Savage or Hyper diffs and see what's what.

I replaced all the internals on my MF with Savage gears, I looked at swapping the diff cups as well, and both were close. Hyper case was a better fit.... but a Savage one would have if it was ground down a bit. Alloy Savvy one with Hyper internals maybe :)

I got a selection of diff bits from both if yo uwant to experiment!

You're a diamond, I'm sure there's a simple fix just waiting to be discovered! When it's fixed, you get to have a damn good drive and see what you think! ;)

I've not read the whole thread all the way through but post 138 of linky says that he has been using them for 10 runs without issue.

Been years since I had my savage but what you said nitro made a little light bulb go off in my head about the sawy, back in the day I think those same kyosho gears were the suggested upgrade for the savage , could be wrong but if so maybe whatever people are using nowadays in savages would fit as well.

Edited by Ross9999992

I've not read the whole thread all the way through but post 138 of linky says that he has been using them for 10 runs without issue.

Been years since I had my savage but what you said nitro made a little light bulb go off in my head about the sawy, back in the day I think those same kyosho gears were the suggested upgrade for the savage , could be wrong but if so maybe whatever people are using nowadays in savages would fit as well.

Didn't read it all either, but the if102 sounds reasonable. Just need a decent cup to complete the repair. The rest of the car seems sound.