• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

kyosho Scorpion XXL thread.

Tug

3894587b5e8e526f7436a190fba41178.jpgb724ffea62377b525f2c295c76b8c86e.jpg

What you reckon, I've replaced the offending cracked wishbone with a new one, but thought I'd have a go with a soldering iron to repair it. I can twist it hard in my hands and feels OK, it had 2x cracks previously, perhaps OK as a spare.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Is the BL version waterproof?

Yes, they went to great lengths to waterproof it. A great car, but only with the CEN diff mod. 

30 minutes ago, Tug said:

Yes, they went to great lengths to waterproof it. A great car, but only with the CEN diff mod. 

Is that fella, Dan, who did yours selling them? It's the only thing holding me back really, I love the look of them, with the wing I think they look fantastic, I do have an issue with spending £30plus quid straight off on a diff though!

Just now, Bigjimknickers said:

Is that fella, Dan, who did yours selling them? It's the only thing holding me back really, I love the look of them, with the wing I think they look fantastic, I do have an issue with spending £30plus quid straight off on a diff though!

Those that have tried contacting him have had no luck, so he's probably been inundated with requests. 

You might as well look elsewhere then cos the ESC needs changing too, 4S just ain't enough. 

1 hour ago, Noj said:

Jim, have you tried sourcing the kit version? No electrics of course, comes with some nicer parts included....

I've not, last I read of it was in this thread, I saw you bought one, but I've only come across RTR & rollers so far..

i figured they'd stopped selling them?

9 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

The 1st video on this thread by you, was that on 4s? Looked nippy!

Probably, but I swapped the ESC pretty quickly. I find 5S, 1800kv and stock gearing is the sweet spot. Despite being 400kv lower than stock, the extra voltage really makes up for it and wakes the car up. 

It shames me to say it, but my XXL +ve has has about 10 minutes use since I bought it brand new a few months ago. If I'm really honest I just cannot see me finding the time to justify keeping it. I feel a classified ad coming up, unless you lot can talk me out of it!

9 hours ago, pstruck said:

It shames me to say it, but my XXL +ve has has about 10 minutes use since I bought it brand new a few months ago. If I'm really honest I just cannot see me finding the time to justify keeping it. I feel a classified ad coming up, unless you lot can talk me out of it!

Is it the hobby in general that's not floating your boat, or just this one car? 

9 hours ago, pstruck said:

Arrgh!!

just bought a new car yesterday, one of these was on my want list!!

7 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Arrgh!!

just bought a new car yesterday, one of these was on my want list!!

I love mine, but I'm stubborn and refused to let a diff ruin a great drive. The rest of the car is tougher than I expected and handles well with decent rear tyres. 

On 7 May 2016 at 23:05, Tug said:

Is it the hobby in general that's not floating your boat, or just this one car? 

Nothing wrong with the car, in fact from the limited run I have had with it I would say it is a very capable and enjoyable model. Nothing wrong with the hobby either, but I just cannot see me finding the time to it justice. Kids, DIY, real cars and work mean I'm just too busy these days.

11 hours ago, pstruck said:

Nothing wrong with the car, in fact from the limited run I have had with it I would say it is a very capable and enjoyable model. Nothing wrong with the hobby either, but I just cannot see me finding the time to it justice. Kids, DIY, real cars and work mean I'm just too busy these days.

I wouldn't want to be telling people "it's an awesome basher", but mine has shrugged off some terrible crashes without a scratch. It's also an engaging drive, it handles, but it is what it is, a 2wd buggy that demands proper driving, not just "point and squirt". 

Once I've finished sorting the X2 out, the Scorpion will get some TLC. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I love my scorpion. My dad did the diff mod for me on his lathe, I'm sure if you got the diff he'd do more for a small fee. Here's my latest addition... I've stuck to 4s which gets 40mph and plenty for me, but the diff is a necessity.

f7e79a6c183305ae65e99d1090ed9430.jpg

2b1f5e7abf977b6e15deccee8f9627bb.jpg

If I can source another diff (links please!), could you ask him to do the mod for me? I like having spares of everything. 

Me too I badly need a diff upgrade

I'm sure he'd be up for it, just left him a message.