• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bigfoot - build has started.

atom3624

• 1 year later...

I've been revisiting this over the last 12 months.

Initially I wanted to run it with dual 1410 Castle motors through dual ESC's - not totally successful, but no blood!

I changed this for a MMM I had lying around and purchased one of 'those 2650 kV 1512 Chinese CC' motors - brilliant - no problems ... but ... every so often, particularly when turning / giving steering instructions through the twin 1256TG Savii, it goes a bit feral for a few seconds ... !!

I'd indicated a HK S-BEC installation and mentioned I'd purchased a few at the time, so decided to fit one to the Bigfoot.

Solved, instantly.

Steering is still an issue, making it 'direct' through a saver, so I'm going to look at how to connect a tie rod across the wheels, and one pull rod to the servo - may improve things.

Archive photos:

BF%202014-03-02%2022_zpshxd45343.jpg

BF18%2020140226-04_zpsy8c4hvfc.jpg

I have a few ideas in progress. It should make it operate better. I still want to keep the steering / servos on the inside, so clearing will still be an issue if I'm not careful / lucky / both!!

Al.

Fazakerley!!

The problem I have is the force required - with those wheels it weighs a ton - almost literally, so I may have to consider something I don't normally do, and directly connect.

I already have the uprated springs inside the savers.

Options also include laying the servos flat, which I think is possible.

Main thing is to avoid the links, but they don't actually MOVE that much.

Not sure if they fit, but I'm going to try these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Steering-Extension-Arm-Set-for-RC-Sakura-D4-1-10-Sakura-D4-CS-Sport-Car/171935598740?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37140%26meid%3Dc4df9cde0ef3419599975ab165975d40%26pid%3D100103%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D361379166948%26clkid%3D8138225627058817793&_qi=RTM2065550

If they fit, I'll 'de-anodise' to fit in with the 'clean alloy' look.

Never realised I had accumulated SO MANY rods of different lengths with this build!! Reckon I could make a tent frame! LOL!

Al.

Thanks for the info John - it took me about a day but I had arrived at the same idea as you presented.

The 1256TG with the 20A S-BEC I've now got fitted should serve OK, but 'in case' it doesn't, I've got a Blue Bird 50C on the way - conveniently no 50B's anywhere, which are also helically geared but just SLIGHTLY more torquey - torque and speed are ridonculous! >2x the 1256TG.

Need to look at servo saver options - not much more I can do as I have the strongest spring inside, if it'll stay ... may directly gear the Blue Bird - ~600 oz in at 6.0V should steer it OK!! It's never going to be hammered the way the Maxx, MERV and Raminator have been.

Raminator has to be careful now - body is rarer than hen's teeth. I'm starting to see a couple of 'as new' complete Raminators on the market, but don't want to go there just yet!!

Wish I hadn't had so much fun sometimes - but that's what they're there for! Ram rides brilliantly - so smooth.

Nice work with the C/F - bit longer than my alloy option ... I'll get there in the end, but that's what's so great about this hobby ... 'tinkering'!!

Al.

The Savox 1210SG servos have given me no problems at all. I did fit an SBEC as well. But have to admit it's never been really bashed at all. Just grass running with very small (gentle) jumps. Those wheels do indeed weigh a ton.  ;)

This has made me think about redoing the links and improving things a bit. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

John

So you'd recommend the fake castle?   Then again there's hardly any threads saying I wish I never brought this fake castle lol. So they probably are good.

Once esc 's all come with data logging analytics ect, then we'll easily be able to test motors. Leppard is my go to choice but the chastle would be cheaper.   

• 3 months later...

Bit of  chequered history to this truck.

I wasn't convinced the MMPro / 1410 5 mm x 2 was the way to go, so removed them and replaced with a MMM / Chinese Castle 2650 Kv 1512 motor - more than powerful enough.

I was never happy with the linkages, and probably a result of the heavy RC4WD alloys, I kept 'popping' the heavy duty RC4WD alloy M4 rod ends.

Also the Savox 1256TG servos at each end had problems turning the wheels - with upgraded savers, which didn't help.

In the last 6 months I've been getting in replacement Vanquish Products 3/16 M4 titanium links to replace the Tamiya alloy ones, and after perusing the internet for weeks, reckon the G-Made M4 rod ends look the heaviest duty - apart from the more expensive Hobbythek alloy items - budget didn't stretch that far.

I wanted the Bluebird H50B servos, but none were left when I found funds, so purchased the very-slightly-second-placed helical-geared Bluebird H50C's.

Front and rear as it has 3rd channel rear steering.

I've fitted turnbuckles on the steering to permit fine tuning - more to centre the rear steering better - front can be 'trimmed'.

I have a longer throw servo horn on the front, shorter on the rear. I have another longer throw one if needed, but rear is more to shorten the turning circle than to tip it over!!

Underside - front - longer throw horn:

TXT-2%20Bigfoot%20-%2020161230-02%20Fron

Underside - rear - shorter throw horn - 3-way switch on radio gear:

TXT-2%20Bigfoot%20-%2020161230-01%20Rear

Archive photo - view of 'look' - black links now replaced by titanium ones:

BF18%20-%2020150823%2004_zpswwdhp2jp.jpg

BF18%20-%2020150823%2006_zpszgcmhtmy.jpg

Hope to have a little run tomorrow. If successful, might post a video ... maybe not!!

Al.

Nice to see progress on the " never ending project" I want to see it land from a 10 foot high jump.  :D

I've has a few of the RC4WD rod ends come apart on me. Don't trust them any more. On the Psycho TXT-2 I'm still using the plastic Traxxas M4 ones with no failures.  Have been using the Savox 1210SG which have the same internals as the 1256 and they have no problems at all with the heavy wheels. However my steering linkage set-up is a bit different to yours. But then again I'm not running brushless so not abusing things as much.  :rolleyes:

John

Yeah.

Ended up the simplest solution and was tired of popping the RC4WD alloy rod ends - look great, but .... not cheap after 5 or 6 pop and not fun starting to show it off to somebody, lift it out and realise before they do that several linkages are loose.

Those Bluebird servos have humongous torque!!

Using the S-BEC, I can increase the voltage as well, which they can take, certainly up to 8.4 V - 752.8 oz in!!! I'm using a Spektrum radio set, with SR300 which can handle up to 9.6 V it says .... might try it for a laugh but not necessary and may give 'a smoky moment'!!

Latest photos:

Body off:

TXT-2%20Bigfoot%20-%2020161230-03%20body

Body on:

TXT-2%20Bigfoot%20-%2020161230-04%20body

That's all paint on the body - no stickers. Mark of Outlaw Graphics did it for me a couple of years ago - fantastic job.

(He's working on my X-Maxx body as well.)

Al.

Charged up the battery last night - HK Nanotech 5Ah 65-130C 2S.

Motor is 'Chinese CC 2650Kv' - runs great.

Playing with the gears permitted running Mod 1 in the gearbox, and increasing the gearing perhaps 30%.

It's not mega-fast - perhaps 25-30 mph maximum but powerful.

I think I can put the longer throw servo arm on the rear steer - this is with the shorter throw on rear, longer throw on the main / front wheels.

Servos operating in reverse to Savox ones, so there's a 'pregnant pause' 3/4 through when I reverse the steering then give it more throttle near the end.

Running as well as possible I reckon!!

TXT-2%20Bigfoot%20-%2020161231-01_zpshhf

Al.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

How heavy is this? Be interesting to compare to my Barbarian 

8.2 - 8.3 kg all in - just weighed now - 7.9 kg without battery - those RC 4WD wheels are really heavy.

Al.

6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

8.2 - 8.3 kg all in - just weighed now - 7.9 kg without battery - those RC 4WD wheels are really heavy.

Al.

More than I was thInking, the Barbarian is only around 4.2kg with a 4000mah 3s onboard, as you say the alloy rims probably make up 3kg of your final weight 

Just turned up the voltage one step - I think it's from 6.0 to 7.4 but it's not that clear.

I noticed that carbon fibre can flex!!

Just had a quick butcher's at the RC Mart site. 7.4 V equates to 50 kg cm / 696 oz in torque!!!

Full specifications - as listed:

Torque At 6.0V 42.2 kg-cm / 586.2 oz-in
Torque At 7.4V 50.1 kg-cm / 695.9 oz-in
Torque At 8.4V 54.2 kg-cm / 752.8 oz-in
Speed At 6.0V 0.13 sec / 60°
Speed At 7.4V 0.11 sec / 60°
Speed At 8.4V 0.09 sec / 60°

I think I'll have to be careful!!

Al.

Anyone interested in this servo, or its higher specced - not available when I ordered - brother, they're on sale at RC Mart:

H50C Bluebird servo - same as mine:

http://www.rcmart.com/blue-bird-bmsh50c-full-aluminum-helical-coreless-digital-servo-p-67627.html?cPath=1099_1030

H50B Bluebird servo - higher spec:

http://www.rcmart.com/blue-bird-blsh50b-full-aluminum-helical-brushless-digital-servo-p-67626.html?cPath=1099_1030

Al.

• 1 month later...

5 mph?

This is 3S through a MMM into a Chinese Castle 1512 2650 KV - motors a little, and I swapped a couple of gears around in the gearbox - it's all Mod 1 inside - about 30%+ higher geared.

TBH I forget what I did but it works, and takes the power without problem.

Al.