• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommend a small 3D Heli, RTR

Leeds savage

Hi,

I have had a heliguy Atom for a while, but I finally damaged it. I want a small RTF 3D Heli to get started in 3D. Indoor, but capable of outdoor on a still day. What models would you suggest ? Cheap but reasonable quality!

Thanks

Cutty,

Can you PM me some more detail - spec? Batteries? Rtf? Etc and what a sensible offer is? I will be on the proper pc next week to do a bit of research on suggestions.

Cheers

• Like 1

I've got a Blade Nano.

Quite a fun little beasty. Not really had enough stick time on it yet to master it, but it is pretty lively and responsive. Hasn't broken yet either :)

Quite a handful indoors, but better outdoors than my SR120 as it has a lot more power

I've got a Blade Nano.

Quite a fun little beasty. Not really had enough stick time on it yet to master it, but it is pretty lively and responsive. Hasn't broken yet either :)

Quite a handful indoors, but better outdoors than my SR120 as it has a lot more power

Assuming it is the same as linked above in post #3?

What are the fly times like?

I'm thinking about getting one myself.

Hi,

I have had a heliguy Atom for a while, but I finally damaged it. I want a small RTF 3D Heli to get started in 3D. Indoor, but capable of outdoor on a still day. What models would you suggest ? Cheap but reasonable quality!

Thanks

Hi.

Can I ask, the heli you have now, is it a coax or a FP heli?

I only ask as 3D flight will require a 6ch CP (collective pitch) heli. And if you are coming from a coax, then chances are you aren't ready. CP's are not easy to fly and there really is little in common with a coaxial one, very different flying experience.

If you are coming from an FP heli and you've mastered it, then it's still a giant leap to a CP. But a lot less than from a coax.

I can recommend these:

WL Toys V922

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WLtoysV922-2_4G-Flybarless-3D-6CH-Helicopter-With-Gyro-RTF-Blue-Black-p-64748.html

You really aren't going to a get a more complete and capable RTF CP heli for anything close to the money. Spares are good for this and it genuinely flies well. Just allow 2-4 weeks for delivery due to the nature of buying from China/Hong Kong.

If you are only used to flying a coax heli, then I highly recommend you learn how to fly an FP (fixed pitch) first.

The WL Toys V911 is well respected and very affordable at

Well they certainly look like a bargain, free shipping as well. How the hell do they manage to knock them out for that sort of money

Not entirely sure, but they are great value for money. The only down side is the wait for shipping. I've bought a few and they have been superb, also at this price it matters less if you crash them, most are available as bind n flys too, so despite good parts supply, it may be easier to buy an entire new heli rather than repair.

If you want more info, there is a wealth on here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-helis-217/

For the 6ch WL Toys V922 CP heli there is this 101 page thread of info on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1795419

• 1 month later...

OK Folks. The WL V922 arrived today. Looks good so far, just charged up and done a few basic tests until I can get outside.

I noticed the TX has an output for a simulator. Are there any free/cheap sims that are any good and what sort of cable does one use to connect it?

thanks

Another vote for the MCPX V2 here.

I have a nano which was my first CP heli, and I find it a handful. Too twitchy for indoors (unless you happen to be lucky enough to have a big house), and just hard work outdoors with any wind at all. It is very fast and twitchy, even with toned down settings, and although very robust it is hard work to learn on.

Just got an MCPX V2 and it is a whole different experience. Much more stable and less twitchy, and much easier to fly. Such a difference I was shocked, and glad as as I can fly this with ease meaning my learning curve has sped up ten fold!

Doh! Just noticed you have just taken delivery of your new heli, but the info might help someone else! Enjoy your flying dude and good luck.

Edited by mattmussett