• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How hard is it to master flying a model helicopter

Stu9

I got a Syma S107 from Santa and can't fly it good at all....very very tricky, I can get to lift ok but anythings else is to hard, if I've crashed it once!. I got a spare set of blades ect with it and believe me, the way i'm going i'll need them, i really like it and don't want to break it. I've watched a few videos on Youtube ect and most make it look easy'ish.....why can't i?

Its always best to learn on a flight sim, i used to fly helis alot and the best thing i purchased was phoenix flight sim. there are others out there but phoenix is the best in my opinion

I haven't been flying long but I can offer you two bits of advice.

Make sure your trims are set properly. If they are out the heli will want to go off on its own making it very difficult to hold it steady, especially for a noob.

Dont try to run before yo can walk. Start off by practicing simple manouvers ie : taking off, hovering, then landing again.

Dont worry too much about crashing. You will crash, crash and crash again. Its all part of learning to control the heli.

My kids got some airhogs fixed pitch co-axial Helios for chistmas they are only 2 channel though but what I have taught them is to get them up to about 3-4ft above the ground as they are far more stable at this height because at lower levels you are fighting against ground effect this is where the air is being forced to the ground to give you lift but at lower levels the air will bounce back up off the ground and push the heli in all sorts of directions!!!

So I taught them to give it full throttle till it's about 2-3ft then to back off the throttle slowly until it comes to a hover

Hope this helps a little :)

Its always best to learn on a flight sim, i used to fly helis alot and the best thing i purchased was phoenix flight sim. there are others out there but phoenix is the best in my opinion

Thanks, i had a look at them but mine's not there an don't know if another similar model would do, I also downloaded the tial version but not having much luck with it.

I haven't been flying long but I can offer you two bits of advice.

Make sure your trims are set properly. If they are out the heli will want to go off on its own making it very difficult to hold it steady, especially for a noob.

Dont try to run before yo can walk. Start off by practicing simple manouvers ie : taking off, hovering, then landing again.

Dont worry too much about crashing. You will crash, crash and crash again. Its all part of learning to control the heli.

It seems ok as it's new, it's just that after iving full throttle to lift, after that i find it hard just to hover and keep still, it usually allways wants to either go backwards or fordwards and hits the wall or smothing else :angrymad:

My kids got some airhogs fixed pitch co-axial Helios for chistmas they are only 2 channel though but what I have taught them is to get them up to about 3-4ft above the ground as they are far more stable at this height because at lower levels you are fighting against ground effect this is where the air is being forced to the ground to give you lift but at lower levels the air will bounce back up off the ground and push the heli in all sorts of directions!!!

So I taught them to give it full throttle till it's about 2-3ft then to back off the throttle slowly until it comes to a hover

Hope this helps a little :)

Yea I was reading a few things online in general and some videos on Youtube, mine's a 3 ch, but a few I watched said that 4+ channels were usually easier to operate due to them more bigger and more stable. But yes, i'm giving full throttle to lift, but as said above, once it's up seems to have a mind of it's own and very hard to control.....it's just as well i got a packet of spare blades ect....i'll need them before long :angrymad:

Then again, there's now a whine from somewhere on the blade shaft from when it hit the wall last night but i'll ask about a tech section

Hello stu and welcome to the forum. 

i self taught myself to fly nitro and electric helis, it is not easy as you have found

but it does take a little time. 

so lets start right at the begining. a nice open area !!! not much wind and nobody to annoy you or make you loose focus. 

Master hovering : take off and have the heli hover about 4ft of the ground, well away from any blade wash

use slow and sure throttle and cycilic (right) stick movement. once you have hover under control things become easyer

you understand that slow sure control lets you fly, and being focused helps heaps.

i will not say its easy , it is NOT but its possible, it take time to learn, it is a bit like learning to pat your head rub your belly and

unwrap a marsbar with your toes all at once, its possible but you have to learn how.

Now, why does your heli act funny, it is not what is happening is the air thrown down from the rotor blades,

rebounds of the floor/surface back into the rotor blades, this causes a slight upset in lift, and inturn

you see this as errant movement. 

The trick with hovering is breaking the ground force , dont faff around COMMIT to take off or abort.

best to commit to the lift off, power up and break the ground but DO NOT stop there, get some distance from the ground

about 3ft-4ft should be fine, here you have less turbulance and blade wash to worry about.

Never panic if in doubt let go off the right stick and slowly lower throttle, never shut it off fast ( flying bricks break)

just lower it slowly and just before you get to ground shut it off ( 6 inches to a foot )

Thanks for that....it's house heli though, i thought it could be used outside but was told no as it's to small and light, i can get up ok, it's the keeping it there and keeping it stable. I know what you mean about letting it drop, i've did that a few times, that's why i've now got whine from the blade/shaft area :angrymad: . I find it VERY tricky to master, but like most things....keep at it

I know i've got this, but i was also looking at a Esky belt cpx, but to honest....as i find it difficult sometimes to look up and turn my head quick'ish to the left or right, I think flying something oustide and having to look up all the time might be out. So might just get used to the wee S107 and maybe try and get rc car....but again, it's trying to keeping focused on it as it flies about, as they move quick, VERY quick at times

Edited by Stu9

Hard.

lol but worth it if you stick at it, i've just given up the heli's due to lack of time to get to the field, plus the weather.

Had a Blade 450 3D and a Blade 450X

Start with something collective pitch but small, like a Blade Mcpx, this is a good little heli and can take a lot of crashes, when your comfortable with a small heli, move up to something bigger, like a Blade 300X.

Plus as said get a sim like pheonix, or similar 

this is my first go at a collective pitch heli:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llsWedZgh8w

and my mcpx after a 8 months lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMBrh5AH5qc

I know you say get a flight sim from Phoenix, i downloaded their demo but won't play, say something about being currupt and to try and download again. I also downloaded one for the Blade 300 (just for the hell of it to see what downloaded) but it won't open....i'm kind of stuck

Is it the syma s107g you've got? I have one of these and found it very stable. Set the trim by hovering slightly and adjusting left and right until the heli stops turning. Also its worth noting the the controller is infa red so using in direct sunlight/bright lighting will cause issues.