• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lets talk motors...

danzul90

Hi folks, I hope some one can help me out here.

My wife today bought me a Maverick Strada Evo sc.

I charged it up and took it out with excitement as I was looking into getting something electric and more suited to big jumps.

The battery lasted no more than 5 minutes. I am assuming this is due to being new and just needs cycling a few times?

More importantly at the moment however is this.

ITS JUST NOT QUICK ENOUGH!!!!

Now I don't know much about electrics but the info on the box says it is a 540 motor... this does about 25 mph but I am more used to my nitro touring car which goes a hell of a lot faster.

I would like to change the motor for something with more grunt and speed!

I had a look on MS but the motor specs are listed 2000kv to 9000kv. so does that mean my current motor is far too small to be listed or am I missing something?

does changing the motor mean I need to do the ESC as well?

I don't have a very big budget but would need something quicker.

If I change the motor rather than change the car it should save my wifes feelings... it was a much thought about present after all.

Many thanks, and sorry for the essay lol.

Danzul90

540 is the size (rather like you might describe a real engine as 2 litre) whereas 9000 is the KV (a measure of RPM's) - all the motors that fit the Strada are 540 sized, but come in different KV's

The supplied motor is a cheap basic brushed system - brushed motors aren't normally listed with KV values but something in the region of 1500KV is about right. You can't run brushless without changing the ESC, but you can do the following:

Check your esc is the MSC22 model - it should be.

If it is you can get a lipo battery. This will both increase the speed and make it run longer - 3 or 4 times longer in fact. You'll need a new charger as you must NEVER charge the lipo with your current charger. There are lots of packs to choose from but this one will do nicely. Oh, and the new charger can recharge that pack in about an hour, so expect 20mins+ running, 1hr wait and do it all again.

So

• Like 1

The included battery pack (1800mah) will never last long, the bigger the mah, the longer the runtime. A NiMH pack delivers its peak performance and then gradually tails off, you will be used to constant power delivery from the TC. Buying a pack of say 4800mah will give better run time, but no power increase.

You may be able to upgrade the stock motor, with a more 'tuned' replacement, however the ESC will have a specific turn limit that must be adhered to.

Or purchase an ESC that is lipo compatible, and run that with the stock/new motor...you will get better run times and more speed, and these escs tend to have much lower turn limits...

Swap the ESC and motor out for a brushless set up, as bl is more efficient and much more powerful than a brushed set up.

Either way, you need to budget for electronics, lipos and a lipo charger, and ditch the NiMH stuff, as it is old hat now really....going to cost, whichever route you choose...

Thanks for both replies. Extremely helpfull.

I think to start with i shall go for tje option suggested by Si Coe For now with a view to going with Alex97 in the future.

Unfortunatly the last link in your post SI COE takes me to the main screen. Maybe you can send it to me again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Danzul90

Edited by danzul90

Not sure why that is.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32229__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5400mah_2S2P_50C_Hardcase_Car_Lipoly_UK_Warehouse_.html

In any case any hardcased 2S car lipo will work. You might need to fit the right connectors for your car, but I don't know what you have as standard.

The chassis tub battery area is shaped for nimh packs so you might want to remove the raised edges before fitting a Lipo to avoid damage to it. A sharp chisel flattened it out easily.

I'd replace the connector on the esc asap as even on a nimh I melted the Tamiya stock one.