• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Budget-Maxx.

Tug

Ran the ally-Maxx tonight, c/w UE diffs. Ran perfectly, but needs longer gearing to compensate for the diffs which lower the overall ratio. I'll change pinions for the next run.

Peace out.

When I reinstalled the UE diffs, the car ran backwards, no biggy, I just swapped two motor cables and all was well. something was bugging me from back when I bought the diffs, they're reversible depending on nitro or electric. However, the original electric Maxx had the gearbox facing the other way! Lightbulb moment! I'm using a 3905 box! So out came the diffs again and reversed them to nitro configuration, swapped the motor cables back and now we're ready for another test session.

Upped the gearing to 24/68, this should be OK for this set-up, the motor is a long can 1800kv, the diffs lower the gearing etc. So it needs a tall ratio.

Now it's raining! It wasn't supposed to do that today! :(

Just had ally-Maxx out for some testing, five mins of speed runs saw temps hit 60 Celsius on both the motor and the ESC. It's not that hot, but perhaps I'll drop the pinion down two teeth and try again. Other than that, all's good!

Handling is really quite good considering it's on Traxxas Chevrons! That front diff has 60k, the rear 7k. She tucks in to turns nice and tight, oversteer is kept under control too.

Happy days!

This truck needs a thread of its own!

No, sorry. I tend to just keep a good stock of 3mm screws, countersunk and cap head, 6mm to 25mm. That covers a Maxx.

How are you doing on the diffs? I've seen you on URC struggling to source the right parts.

No, sorry. I tend to just keep a good stock of 3mm screws, countersunk and cap head, 6mm to 25mm. That covers a Maxx.

How are you doing on the diffs? I've seen you on URC struggling to source the right parts.

Ah,I see...The diff's are going crap mate,I can't get a housing to fit and FLM arent answering.A few of the boys from URC are trying to help.Do I need a trade account for Orbital??

ta

That's bonkers, someone must know the answer! When you do figure it out, tell the whole world about it! Start your own website about it! Spread the word!

I don't know if you NEED a trade account, but the prices are probably better if you have one.

• Like 1

Jennys is your best bet, don't know of any UK breakers.

Both trucks are runners, just trying to sort more reliable diffs. UE in the Ally-Maxx, aftermarket crown gears for the Budget-Maxx. I've got a pair of Crown gears from eBay, just not fitted yet. They look reasonable, just got to fit and test. The UE diffs are great, but I'm struggling to find spares for them. Suicideneil is helping me with that.

Dude, I've got a few different diff parts sat here now. Do you want to send me one of your Hybrids and I'll see if I've got anything that'll fit?

• 2 months later...

Gave the Budget-Maxx another run tonight, her current set-up is; CC 3M ESC, Losi Xcelorin 1700kv and 6s!

I was going to wait until the rear diff gave up and then replace it with the GPM crown gear. I've decided to swap the crown gear over now and save the Traxxas crown gear for the front diff, they last OK up front as they're under far less strain.

She handles quite well and speeds are pretty good.

Light bulb moment! Over the years I've read a lot of threads where people say that the plastic diff housing allows too much flex and thus causes early diff failure. I've remembered that deep in my spares bin are a pair of ally housings. Got them with the ally-Maxx and never really used them as that car was treated to UE diffs.

I've just dug them out and will be fitting one to the rear of the Budget-Maxx ASAP. I'll fit it with the diff that's currently in the rear of the car, the diff that's just had the hardened crown gear fitted. I'm not too concerned with the front as it doesn't carry anywhere near as much load, that can be changed later on.

I'll post some pics of this when I do it. Gotta love a parts bin!

• Like 1

I'd go higher intensity LED mate!!

Cheaper and more efficient.

Joking aside, yes.

I default to metal casings whenever possible.

One of the first upgrades on largescale is the aluminium sleeve on FG's, before you carry on with the other 15 or so levels!!

Al.

I'd go higher intensity LED mate!!

Cheaper and more efficient.

Joking aside, yes.

I default to metal casings whenever possible.

One of the first upgrades on largescale is the aluminium sleeve on FG's, before you carry on with the other 15 or so levels!!

Al.

I tried to fit them, unfortunately they're so old that they're for the old design of diff. Idea duly binned.