• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tugs take on the S5!

Tug

During the summer a lot of bashers will lower their gearing to compensate for higher temps. Racers don't bother because they're racing in short heats, so the high temps of "battle" aren't sustained for long periods.

Good fans do make a difference by forcing cooler air over the heatsinks, this speeds up the heat transfer and dissipation into the surrounding air. So yes, active rather than passive, passive on ground vehicles isn't fast enough.

In aircraft, the forward motion of the plane is used to pass air at speed over the ESC. This is why you won't normally see fans on aircraft ESCs. Ergo, passive cooling with ducted air is sufficient.

My head hurts. :)

yes possibly a bit much for sunday night..

I did look up "temperature effects and heat dissipation on brushless motor " on google, but again the results were not good for sunday night ;) ended up here: http://www.pittman-motors.com/Portals/0/Resources/Temperature_Effects_On_DC_Motor_Performance.pdf

There must be a cumulative effect of fans, heat sinks etc.

I wonder how much difference using something like thermal paste between motor and motor mount would make? or between motor and heat sink? 

Or is there any way to increase the efficiency of heat transfer in the motor itself? eg. thermal paste between the windings and the motor body?

but again - all this is to work around a problem that can be worked around in other ways.

i.e. instead of wacking in a high kV motor... pay attention to the numbers and go high voltage, low resistance. 

Another thing that is not obvious and needs numbers...

and that is the low load current draw. 

e.g. how much of a motor time for a basher is spent doing not a lot? and how much on full throttle? all that time doing not a lot and the motor is still creating heat isn't it? If you have 4A no load draw... then does all that current get turned into heat if the motor is not turning? versus say 100A draw at 95% efficiency - where 5A goes to heat. 95 to kinetic energy?

Tell me to stop.

Let's be clear, I'm not having motor heat issues, it's the ESC I'm trying to protect.

In answer, you're absolutely right, a member on here recently almost cooked a motor by spinning the wheels up to approximately half speed by using the throttle trim. This was with the wheels off the ground, so virtually no-load. This is said to be very inefficient and so caused the motor to rise in temperature quite quickly.

Yes, lower temps are achieved in other ways. Lower gearing, lower Kv with higher voltage etc. I used to frown on motor fans, now I have three cars using them! I'm not running any set-ups that really need a motor fan, I just decided to be cautious.

Let's be clear, I'm not having motor heat issues, it's the ESC I'm trying to protect.

In answer, you're absolutely right, a member on here recently almost cooked a motor by spinning the wheels up to approximately half speed by using the throttle trim. This was with the wheels off the ground, so virtually no-load. This is said to be very inefficient and so caused the motor to rise in temperature quite quickly.

Yes, lower temps are achieved in other ways. Lower gearing, lower Kv with higher voltage etc. I used to frown on motor fans, now I have three cars using them! I'm not running any set-ups that really need a motor fan, I just decided to be cautious.

ahhh ok. - protecting the ESC. Understand.

Don't see  a problem with fans or heat sink - all to get heat away from the motor. lets face it, one small heat sink must almost double the surface area compared to a motor on its own. 

Getting out of my comfort zone.. what is it that drives heat in an ESC? is it purely current? or do other factos come into play?

Yeah, finned cans are so much more efficient at heat dissipation, the mind boggles!

In the ESC it's mostly current draw, but it's also the continuous switching from phase to phase, up to 13,000 times a minute on some ESCs! That's quite the workload!

highest recorded current draw from the 380kv was 113 Amps. 

I got a 58110 380kv for my Losi 5. 

Don't leopard rate the 380kv motor having a max draw of 82amps ? thats a big difference - 31 amps guess the leopards margin for error is near 25%  :shockingscary:

Out of interest how do you measure your useage/current draw?

I got a 58110 380kv for my Losi 5.

Don't leopard rate the 380kv motor having a max draw of 82amps ? thats a big difference - 31 amps guess the leopards margin for error is near 25% :shockingscary:

Out of interest how do you measure your useage/current draw?

It's a lovely motor, but can cog like a Biatch!

I was surprised at the discrepancy between the stated max current and what I actually measured, but my device may not be all that accurate. However, I don't believe my ammeter is that inaccurate. Still, 113 Amps ain't bad! I've got smaller cars pulling more!

It's a plug in device I got from HK. They're not expensive and sit between the cells and the ESC. It's only rated to 130 Amps, so has its limitations, but still damn handy. I've never found one with a higher rating than that, but I'll keep looking.

I'm gonna get some footage soon, she's going just how I want her. ;)

• 1 month later...

As close to thirty minutes as I can get, a half hour would be great, but that might be asking too much. Laws of physics, to shift X amount of mass requires Y energy. I just hope I can see a noticeable improvement, I'm confident.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another smashed rear diff, I'm puzzled.

You could say "don't be a tool, you're running 8s, Duh!", but at just 380kv the drivetrain isn't being over revved.

The damage is difficult to conclude from, but it could've been the crown screws coming loose again, then when far enough out they were snapped against the bulkhead.

New diff cup fitted, red threadlock applied. Will not give up on this truck!

Other point to consider is I no longer have the slipper clutch. So I've lowered the launch control to soften the impact of hard acceleration. I've also softened the brakes, they were set a bit strong.

To protect both the drivetrain and the ESC, I've lowered the voltage to 7S, should still be quick enough.

Testing and vid to follow.

End transmission.

It's a Turnigy Dilux, nice kit, but overkill really. You can set an LVD on it that'll Flash a bright light when your cells are low, but it involves guesswork and needs resetting for each different cell count.

Best bit is the output voltage, 5.2, 6, 6.8, 7.4 or 8.4 volt output. This is great, but my MGM ESC is OPTO, I don't know what the voltage limit is for the BEC going into the ESC, so I've emailed MGM to find out. In the meantime I'm keeping it down on 6.8, just in case.

It's all good fun! :)