• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tugs take on the S5!

Tug

Great footage! Great to see her in action!

thanks. Just processing the footage from the top now, including the baja...

which all will note is suspiciously absent from any jump pics... :whistling:

So, what have I been up to? Buying more motors?

Yes.

I'd decided to try and improve efficiency by lowering my kv and upping my voltage. The Leopard 58110, 780kv (think 2028) was doing OK, but my Centre Diff mount meant I couldn't lower my gearing any lower than I was running it, 22/52. I did some calculations and figured that I could lower the kv, up the gearing and up the voltage, this should result in near identical speeds to what I have with the 780kv, but with longer runtimes.

So, I took the gamble and ordered it. A 58110, 520kv! After waiting about three weeks, it was finally shipped last Friday and arrived just four days later on Tuesday, yesterday! That's amazing in itself!

Last night, I got busy with the tools and swapped motors. While I had the diff mount out, I changed the two bearings as well, they seemed fine, but for a couple of quid I figured it was wise. Put her all back together and stared at her. It was, by then, too late and dark to do anything. :(

Tonight I took her to the park and got busy with testing. I went straight in with 6s and geared back up to 25/52.

On dry tarmac she clocked 43. Result! I kept on going back and forth, she looked like she was doing 40 and that's what counts. She kept this up for a full 20 minutes. That's a huge improvement over the 780kv! My bash times should now be approaching 30 minutes, that's only a guesstimate.

ESC didn't thermal, reached 50C, acceptable.

Motor just touched 60C, acceptable.

Lipos were about 30C.

In short; fine speeds, good temps, longer runtimes.

I realise I'll need to get a few more packs through her to really get some concrete numbers together, but at the moment it's all looking Cushty. A proper bash session with varied terrain and driving style will be a good indicator of how efficient she's running.

FYI, Leopard claim a max Amp draw of 170 for the 780kv, but only 113 Amps for the 520kv.

Happy days.

They also offer a 380 kv, that and 8s next? ;)

Edited by Tug

520kv! Sweet as a nut... Very sporting of Leopard to see you right too :)

Vids asap please ;)

The 380 kv they list is stated as having a max draw of 82 amps! That on 8s would run for a fair while!

I'll get filming at the earliest opportunity.

Edited by Tug

Let's ignore the motors I've tried and removed, I'll make use of them in other projects.

The car was approximately 500. I got 90 for the Tork motor, so it drops to 410. The ESC is now in the Budget-Maxx.

The centre Diff conversion was free, but expect to pay 75? Could've sold the stock gearbox, but decided to keep it "just in case"!

ESC that I'm using, HW 150 Amp Pro, was approximately 75. I already had it, but will factor it in.

Current motor was approximately 150.

A little over 700? Seems a lot, but the drivetrain doesn't need constant attention. I've broken one wishbone, that was my driving and they're so cheap to get, it's ridiculous. My point is, if I'd known exactly what to get and sold off all of the unneeded bits, I could've done it for less. I'm not fussed, I've loved every minute of it. Driving it is just fantastic!

I still hold the 1717 in very high regard! Punching well above its weight and slinging this car around like a child's toy! Just too thirsty, ten minute runs are way too short!

In my eyes, 700 notes well spent. I love it!

Next up, a Leopard 58110, 380kv and 8s! ;)

Sorry for the long answer, I got carried away. I don't think I could get anywhere near a BL 5ive for that money, not even close!