• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

James' Slash 4x4

J.K

Indeed, CD may be my next addition to the Slash :)

In my experience the stock centre diff doesn't last very long on 3s, fine on 2s and transforms the turn in/handling, but if you aspire to use it with a decent combo, then you really need the FLM diff casing...

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since I updated this thread - and plenty of subtle changes have occurred! The Slash has been used quite a bit over the last year or so and how many breakages have I had in that time?......just one. I bent a rear Tenno driveshaft and damaged the hub after sliding sideways into a kerb - they're obviously not designed to take a lot of lateral force! 

The 1/8 scale combo is holding up well - still running the Tenshock X802 2400kv 6pole with HW WP-SC8 and the stock Traxxas servo - I have no need to change this.

I have a new shell!

A422349F-CB5D-4D81-B322-0D5F86DB9C3D_zps

This is the Proline Raptor and requires Proline's body mount kit. this makes the new shell rather pricey - shell, body mount kit, paint & mask came to just shy of £100! I still use the stock SC shell for hard bashing, don't want to trash this one too soon!

Ah, another small mod. I started having issues with the ESC mount which come with the Hobbywing ESC. I found that over the last 6months or so the mounting holes became rather brittle and began to break, causing the ESC to start moving around. I struggled to find a replacement but came across the STRC carbon plate on Amain. I LIKE CARBON BITS....

9BF80871-B4C0-4090-8ED6-1CEE4249809B_zps

I treated the edges with superglue then bolted it to the Slash. It's a really nice fit and although you can't see it once the ESC is stuck to the top, it will almost certainly outlive the car IMO:

217B6498-191B-475B-A53D-355DF0A25C2E_zps

Good thread, lots of useful info. Quick question, did you ever start running the centre diff?

Thanks chap!

Nope I never did run the centre diff. The 1/8 motors have a 5mm shaft instead of the standard 3mm - this meant I could upgrade to mod1 pinion and spur. This in turn allows an opportunity to upgrade the slipper clutch to that from the Revo - it's a lot more durable and can handle the heat better. This has been so reliable that I dropped it in a couple of years back and have since forgotten about it. So never bothered with the diff!