• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hydrolic brakes, front or rear?

tyntin

This is more of a question for the two wheel drive racers, is it best to fit hydrolic brakes to the front, rear or all four wheels?

With my baja when i get to a corner i hit the brakes and steer which makes the back drift out to get me around the corner. To improve my speed around the track whats the best way to improve the braking/corner speed to make my lap times faster?

Front

Whats the reasoning behind your answer. One of my mates has them fitted on the front but he says he is going to swap them to the rear because when he is braking with them on the front he cant steer.

I have hydraulics on the front of my baja and it can steer perfectly well under breaking.

That, coupled with the only good hydro kit made for the baja is a front wheel only set-up you will struggle getting good hydros on the back.

I have the use of a toolroom at work so i would imagine i could get them to fit on the rear if thats the best option which is why i wanted to know what the track racers use.

It doesn't matter if you have access to a tool-room dude, the whole calliper is designed to attach directly to the front hub carrier, it goes were the current screws are on the hub so as the rear hubs are drastically different in shape, this particular brand wouldn't work.

The reason you break and then turn in is all to do with physics...

Under power, a  Baja is light at the front end. Tapping the brakes brings the front end down, applying pressure on the front wheels so they get some bite to steer. This is why the disc setup I had on my FG truck was so poor...as they had completely removed the rear disc. If the fronts lifted....I had to weight for the reduced throttle to do the same.

Once the wheels bite, then the front hydros will bite, and you will stop.

I looked at various setups, but couldn't afford the best....so I went with an RCR rear disc setup. Couldn't see the point in buying cheap ones.  Ichecked a mass of threads, and most of the cheapo ones have huge problems with seals failing

As others have said, Mechatech are pretty good but are pretty hard to set up progressively.  It tends to be quite binary on/off switch like.  That said, they do help with weight transfer, which in turn gives you quite a nice pointy front end (as long as you don't try to turn in an brake at the same time, else all you will have is terminal understeer and a locked up front end.  

You can play with the balance quite easily too, so just get the back brake to drag slightly as you release the fronts and turn in.  This can help to rotate the Baja with a touch of oversteer, which you can control with throttle.  Nice fun way to drive really!