• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bit disappointed...

Oh How Original

Right well I've just maiden my Team Jekyll TR02 and got to say I'm somewhat disappointed in the kit, firstly their is ridiculous amounts of play in the hubs/axles, so trying to get it to go straight is impossible.

I'm also somewhat disappointed in the power (which is what this topic is actually for) I'm currently running a 13.5T 2600kv motor, 45a esc, Turnigy 40C-50C 2s LiPo and the power isn't at all there to be honest.

The motor timing etc... Is all turned up to the second highest point, I don't want to take it all up to the max as the manual says it can be a bit dangerous temp wise... My esc is at 82*F and motor is at 79-80*F so they're nice and cool.

I'm running a 80T spur with a 21T pinion.

Now I've been looking at 3s LiPos, but just wanted some advice on anything else I could change to pep it up a bit? I mean most of the power seems to spin away on the stupid slipper anyway, but it only takes it a second to get flat out and it's a bit boring, I'd definitely prefer more acceleration and quite a lot more top end.

So aside from changing to a high kv/low turn motor and a 60a esc, what else could I try changing?

I'm thinking the 3s LiPo is probably going to be the best option, but it's getting the right size one with a decent C rating for a reasonable price that seems to be the main problem, so I'm going to leave it for now and hopefully you gurus can come up with some good ideas for me to try out :)

Shame that there's so much slop in the setup from new.

Have you tightened up the slipper fully, and checked the diff (I think it's a ball diff) for slippage?

It is rather disappointing, I've actually had to shim the hinge pins as well, because their was loads of slop there, it was like it had no wheelnuts on... I also had to get a replacement motor mount sent to me because it had no threads :lol: if someone asked me if they should buy one, I'd personally have to say no from my own experience and the slipper is as tight as it can go then backed off half a turn, a few people said do it like that then it's not at it's tightest possible setting.

i'd say go for a higher KV motor, 2600 is quite low for a lightweight 2wd buggy 

Just looking at motors now, you think buying a 60a esc would be worth doing as well? :/

Motor wise I've found this? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44544__Turnigy_TrackStar_8_5T_Sensored_Brushless_Motor_4620KV_UK_Warehouse_.html

EDIT; Just seen the maximum voltage, I want to be able to run on 3s if necessary :lol:

Edited by Oh How Original

you want to go fast but you have a 13.5t roughly in a 2wd buggy?

need to be looking at 6.5t 5.5t 5.0t etc 

and if you are not racing then doesnt matter if its sensored or not

Edited by PurcyP

motor been wasted on current esc, 3 options

1: get proper esc for sensored motor *2s only* an run boosted http://shop.cpdracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_74&products_id=729

2:  go for a 4000kv/8.5t so can use 3s safely with 45a esc

3: go for higher amp an kv combo

Bare in mind this is the entry level buggy you can't get more basic than this so a bit of slop is easily sorted its that basic you don't even get turnbuckles like the tc02 check out all the other threads on this and the madrat some of the stuff people have done is insane I've even seen a 4s in one it didn't last long but fun to watch

sensored allowed smoother throttle control, less or zero cogging, the motor and the esc act as one rather than the esc sending signals to the motor and hoping for the best. 

believe it or not sensored is a tiny..tiny..tiny bit slower than non sensored, its for racing really as a regulatory measure and to also allow drivers to well..get off the line properly lol

sensored allowed smoother throttle control, less or zero cogging, the motor and the esc act as one rather than the esc sending signals to the motor and hoping for the best. 

believe it or not sensored is a tiny..tiny..tiny bit slower than non sensored, its for racing really as a regulatory measure and to also allow drivers to well..get off the line properly lol

Ahh that makes a lot more sense then... I'm definitely thinking a better motor or maybe even a combo and then a 3s LiPo, but still can't find a 3s LiPo that's under 146mm long :lol:

whats with the necessity of a 3s lipo? you have purchased the wrong type of chassis for running 3s, its a 2wd buggy, sticking a decent enough speedo and low enough turn motor in it will wheelie like a mother..dont need 3s

whats with the necessity of a 3s lipo? you have purchased the wrong type of chassis for running 3s, its a 2wd buggy, sticking a decent enough speedo and low enough turn motor in it will wheelie like a mother..dont need 3s

Well from other peoples replies it seemed I needed to buy a better motor/esc for 3s running?... Maybe I've just got confused about it :lol:

I'm happy to run 2s if it will be faster with a better motor and maybe esc.

if you do go 3s...give me a nod...i have an overlander 3s which is 130mm long...25C

Will do chap, although would prefer not to purely because I have a nice pack here that fits really neatly :lol: so if I could get a fair bit more speed from a new motor then I'll do that.

Are you running a sensored esc at the moment and what amp is it

Sorry just read back its the 45A esc well I'd have gone for something like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42936__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_4250KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html

But only because its cheap other than that I'd have looked at 9t or quicker for just 2s. 3s running as purcy said this car just isn't made for it 2s can take it to its limits

Edited by fatboyneil

Well....the Firestorm I put together goes like stink on 3S with a Castle 3800Kv motor....and that's 2WD. Yes...if you punch iot hard, it wheelies... but with care on the throttle, you get it rolling then wind on the gas, and it flies. It's also nippy enough on 2S to be fun as well. The 4 pole motor is quite torquey, and I reckon I can get more speed with a larger pinion too, as the motor is warmer than the ESC ... though on 3S the 19T pinion seems spot on.

I reckon it's just a question of getting a motor/ESC that gives you the straight line speed you want, and tehn you can have the fun of working on the chassis to tame it!