• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi or Carisma or hpi

Andyrc

hi guys im in market for 2 small scale buggies for me and my son and was all set to get the losi mini 8 then i stumbled across the carisma gt14b rtr and the hpi mini recpn and now i cant decided.

any body have experiance of the two buggies and how they compair? 

if im honest im still leaning the way of the losi for myself  but was thnking of the carisma for my son or maybe even a hpi mini recon?

just seen the losi mini short course track is down at the same price as the carisma buggy hmmmm spanner in the works. im pretty much settle now on a mini 8 for myself just need the 2nd choice sorted? any thoughts on the losi mini sct?

just seen the losi mini short course track is down at the same price as the carisma buggy hmmmm spanner in the works. im pretty much settle now on a mini 8 for myself just need the 2nd choice sorted? any thoughts on the losi mini sct?

if its his first rc car i would go 4wd it will be easier for him to control unless you want to keep buying new tyres for the rear as he will be doing donuts quite a lot with the sct

• Like 1

What no-one has mentioned is the battieries.

On the GT14b (unless you get the expensive chassis conversion) it is saddle pack only, which are about 8 x more expensive than normal micro batteries.

Very capable car, but thats what stopped be from buying it at the time.

@AJ: The emb is the best out of the ones you have listed because all the others you had were all novelty cars, since the GT14b was introduced, thats when novelty cars (and sizes) turned into proper race cars (currently wider and longer size, (LRP Shark is 1/18th current micros are 1/14th) with big company backing.

(Also ive had a LRP LWB Shark, Carisma GT14b, Losi Mini 8, Carisma GTB and driven a friends EMB1. What do i still have? I kept the GTB, WHY? because its what i feel is the best racing (not bashing) car available atm, however i believe there may be another brand entering the racing scene after speaking to the companies #1 driver in 1/10th scene worldwide, who is very local to me ;) )

Edited by karting

For general hacking about and bashing I don't think the EMB1 can be beaten (open belt drive is never great for bashing), all my points were added from a bashers point of view and as the OP mention the HPI Recon my comments about other micros is valid, ohh and my Shark was a LWB. To be honest I have no plans to race my EMB1, I've got my XB4 for that :)

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 1

this is getting a tough choice now. 

i am lkeing the look and the reviews of the emb but from what i can see and read there is very little between the 2 in terms of bashing use. and each can be made to work better at certin things by tuning. so does the choice between the mini8 and emb ust come down to personal choice? 

the sct looks great but at the extra costs is it work for bashing?

In a word yes between the m8 and emb,both as you have said can be made to handle how you want but the stock motor in the emb gets my vote over the stock losi and i am keeping that in the emb and swapping the motor in my m8,both end up costing in hop ups too lol , get one of each and then it gives competition with your son and yourself its my sons that race me and use my cars too, spares for both are not extravagant in price really although the emb wins on cost of spares :-).

If i where just buying one i personally would go for an emb but thats my choice after having both i know what the m8 has cost to get it how it is now.

Si

Si

The shock towers are prone to bending on both m8 and emb but there not made of cheese as some would have you believe,rod ends not so much weak on the emb but abit slack i found and so rpm ones have been put on,for bashing i think the stock servo is not bad,I have left the stock top deck also I have not gone for carbon on that,I have a t bone racing front bumper that comes in useful lol. O and dms have them

http://www.dms-racing.com/

Si

Edited by silone74

so basicly with the emb kit then ( im leaning more that way now and a losi m8 for my son) im looking at carbon towers. and rpm ball ends. gussing this really applies to both the emp and the m8. 

i can find loads of the places selling the m8 but only really found schumacher selling the emb. is this the best place to but the kit from?

The rtr has a plastic chassis, shock bodies and shock towers, but the electrics are great and the rtr motor is awesome. I wouldn't use wheelspin, I've had a few rubbish orders with them and would rather use other shops

Edited by .AJ.