• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya DF-03. Brushless.

Clunk

I have a Tamiya Dark Impact on a DF-03 chassis. The chassis has mild hop ups (alloy shaft, bearings, fireball motor, esc, etc.). 

I would like to know if it is possible to go brushless on it? More so, will the chassis and gear train take the extra power?

It is a nice, lightweight, well balanced chassis, and I have had hours of fun with it, from jumping kids, chasing cats, climbing walls, and general tomfoolery. But I am used to its speed. And as it is still my current favourite, I would like to get more from it. Brushless to me seems the way to go. 

Opinions? Has anyone done this?

I'd be tempted pop a 12t (or 13.5t if you want more torque - less top end) Brushless combo in that. 

If you use LiPos you can use 2s for great speed and performance increase and 3s LiPos for crazy fun times :)

Got that in my DT02 (2wd) and it's fine. Your 4x4 will be a hoot.

Glue the tyres to the rims if you haven't already!

I've got a 10t brushless system in my Dark Impact - one of the Etronix Photon system. It's fun, but haven't had the chance to use it too much as I destroyed the front suspension mount on the 2nd outing and it has taken a while to get around to fixing it. I found that moving to lipos instead of nimhs with the brushless system made the biggest change from the modified brushed motor I had previously.

Definitely glue the tyres, and also I read that the slipper clutch is a must have if you are going brushless. Can't vouch for what happens if you do / don't have it as I already had it installed.

I had a Dark impact with a brushless. Its fine, although I would recommend no lower than the 9t EZrun. The slipper clutch is a good hop up but as long as you control the car on landing (no throttle until the wheels come into contact with the ground) you will be fine without.