• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting started

steviec121

Hi all

Ive been thinking about doing away with my touring cars and 1/10 elec buggys in favour of a 1/5 off roader, however the market seems limited for choice the HPI baja and Losi seem to dominate however i have seen some cheaper alternatives in the mavrick range and also this Yama ( looks similar to the HPI baja ).  I guess what im asking is what you all think of these cheaper alternatives or are they a waste of money

Cheers for looking and any advise would be great

Cheers, daft question but are the parts interchangable with the HPI eg body wishbones ect (breakables i guess lol) or would i need to get hold of KM parts?

yes the KM range are compatible with the hpi parts and vice versa.

ShenQi are not a bad mod to buy. (plenty of slaters on here-that have never had one!) Son has had his Shenqi Hummer now for 2 years or so, still going well and no problems! But it's upto you what you get in the end. :thumbsup:

Cheers, daft question but are the parts interchangable with the HPI eg body wishbones ect (breakables i guess lol) or would i need to get hold of KM parts?

Not daft its fully compatible mate in this hobby there's no daft question you learn all the time

ShenQi are not a bad mod to buy. (plenty of slaters on here-that have never had one!) Son has had his Shenqi Hummer now for 2 years or so, still going well and no problems! But it's upto you what you get in the end. :thumbsup:

ShenQi is the worst thing you can buy as I have one although all parts have been replaced with the hpi, I basically had to get it to a stock hpi as all the plastics are crap I wouldnt touch it pole again the diff n gears gave way while breaking the engine in on the first tank

• Like 1

l just bought my KM T1000 from rcmodelz and build quality is really very good. been told that the shell is too hard and will brake easily but after rolling it a few times it didn't even cracked. 

• Like 1

Must admit i am liking these KM ones.

One thing i have been thinking is how well they jump. Im not expecting the kind of big air jumps i get from my smaller ones but can they handle a skate park or bmx track

One thing i have been thinking is how well they jump. Im not expecting the kind of big air jumps i get from my smaller ones but can they handle a skate park or bmx track

Just to help you, this is my KM, not finished 100% yet but I'm sure it will sway you :)

egBFvkM.jpg

• Like 1

bmx track yes, but depends of driving skills and size of jumps, l doubt about the skate park. here is a good video:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/175318-baja-killer-bash-skatepark-15th-fun-blackout-losi-bajas/

the hpi and km bajas can handle alot more than people give them credit for imo.

if you want to jump you get limited controll with 2wd and your shock set up makes a much larger difference in jumping than how hard to pull the throttle and brakes.

bmx track yes, but depends of driving skills and size of jumps, l doubt about the skate park. here is a good video:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/175318-baja-killer-bash-skatepark-15th-fun-blackout-losi-bajas/

This is one of our local bashes, My baja is one of the ones that went about 20ft or more into the air off the big ramp, wasnt me driving tho. Ended up having to replace the chassis after that jump, was already cracked so gave it a good send off LOL

This is one of our local bashes, My baja is one of the ones that went about 20ft or more into the air off the big ramp, wasnt me driving tho. Ended up having to replace the chassis after that jump, was already cracked so gave it a good send off LOL

l only received my baja on Friday and 2 of my mates already asked me to give them a go. guess what l said?

NO!!!

ShenQi is the worst thing you can buy as I have one although all parts have been replaced with the hpi, I basically had to get it to a stock hpi as all the plastics are crap I wouldnt touch it pole again the diff n gears gave way while breaking the engine in on the first tank

My lads not had any problems (save for a starting issue sometime ago). All original parts from day 1. The shell's are crap though!

It left my 4x4 FG Baja for dead last year on the beach so power is not an issue either. All Buggies / Trucks break at some point depending on use.

My lads not had any problems (save for a starting issue sometime ago). All original parts from day 1. The shell's are crap though!

It left my 4x4 FG Baja for dead last year on the beach so power is not an issue either. All Buggies / Trucks break at some point depending on use.

This guy had same problems as I had! http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1167411

Also the shell is the best thing about the shengQi they are better than the hpi and proline in my opinion!

Edited by Rockie