• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Noob Alert

tnuol

Where abouts in south Devon? I only ask as there is a thriving club down in plymouth. (You can't get a lot more south Devon :D

Are you interested in nitro, petrol or electric? (From the above, i'm guessing nitro :D)

Plymouth is too far (unless i use train etc) - im looking at nitro, i used to do slotcar racing and am bored of electric motors :D

Im not really looking to do serious racing - this is all a new hobby venture really as due to health issues im having to rethink my activities.

Im quite liking the idea of doing mods - nothing too expensive mind, im hoping the budget will get me the car, controller, basic tool kit, starting gear, rechargers and battery packs etc, and fuel n necessary wet goods (oil, lubes, filter treatment etc)

Am i being too stingy on the money or what????

Mods id like to do include different body shell(s) n wheels (for different terrains), improve servos, maybe change exhaust, add led flood lights for night bashing (ive done a lot of led stuff on various things) - sad i know, boys n toys eh :D

Sorry, MT? (probably blatantly obvious)

As above the Monster Truck, where it all started. Depends what you want to do, just have a laugh and go to your local bash or be more serious and head down to the track.

Well, i want to get a GOOD car to start with (car as in buggy, truggy etc) I want some thing that will take the mistakes of a common or garden numpty such as myself will make, but i want nitro - had enough of batteries, im not afraid of a challage to my last remaining grey cell.

I want something strong, but easily fixed (ie parts availablity) good quality and not a friggin lemon :D

I do plan to do a bit of flat ground stuff (Carparks etc) and I want something that if i want i can trash n bash off road, not reallyt looking to drift.

Im seriously considering the HPI Buggy or Truggy, as said i have a

Edited by tnuol

Still recommend the hyper 7 tq2 .21. Race legal size engine of you ever wanted to take to a track. Some say its better than the .28 engine aswell. Read up on nitro and how it works and follow a good run in procedure. When I bought mine it didn't come with a glow plug or any instructions on engine break in or tuning. The car is one tough cookie though and the engine is reasonably user friendly.

If i were to go for the Hyper 7, what (if any) mods/upgrades would you recommend? are any of these a priority ie weakness from the box?

Going by your comments, i'll need glowplugs, im aware i ought to have a few on hand anyway especially for the breakin process.

Ive read a good few articles (mainly on this site) and looked at a few younoob, sorry, meant youtube videos.

If you're interested I'll have a pretty nicely specced TT 4.6 up for sale imminently, only 2 gallons on engine and lots of shiny stronger parts... the 2nd hand route is a lot cheaper and it's not like you'd be getting an ebay-esque wreck from me :P (which some 2nds are)

Edited by henzy190

Dont take this the wrong way, as its my 1st forrey into rc cars, id rather the 'return to store' of a brand new, at least for now, hope you get what i mean by that, plus i also want to do some upgrades myself, kind of the 'learning curve' thing

Oh, i know hat the various oils are for, ie air filter, end run, shocks etc etc - ive seen a few peep on noobtube using wd40 instead of after run... surely this cant be a good thing long term, i wouldnt thing wd40 gets into the engine enough to do the job properly, am i right or wrong in thinking this?

Is there any role for wd40 in a care at all? besides cleaning?

Still cant decide between the hpi savage, the trophy 4.6 or the hyper.... have decided to up my budget a bit

The hyper will require less mods out the box for durability. But if you are unsure of what vehicle you want it doesn't matter what anyone recommends. You need to decide it you want buggy, truggy or monster truck. As for upgrades for hyper. Just go as and when it breaks and read up proper care for your engine. Maybe put some oil in the diffs as it handles way better since I done mine. Then when you start doing some jumps and landing upside down maybe look at getting the st pro shock towers as the stock ones are quite thin in comparison.

I've read a lot of reviews of these models as well had a look at what's available for parts an hoboa seems the far n away leader, the hpi kits seem to need more strength tweaks from what I've seen n whilst I don't mind repairs I do expect some degree of useful life from the kit out of the box.

I have decided to punt for a nitro hyper, I'll bash out a shopping list and run it past you folks to see if I've missed anything, cheers all :-)

Quick question - very dumb but if i dont ask i won t find out :D

The following is a shopping list, the items at the bottom with * are upgrades i plan on in near future, any comments etc gratefully recieved, all this lot is on modelsports.co.uk

Hyper 7 TQ2 RTR .21 3-Port Edition

Edited by tnuol

woah you dont need all of that.... and the transmitter take 8aa batteries.

failsafe is also built into the 2.4ghz transmitter

one moment i do a list o what you need or should get :)

• Like 1