• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Quanum aquaholic and relentless from hobbyking..

smash

lol he painted it red for one reason only.

using the man matter he thought " hmm im gonna hit that wall again sometime"

then a lightbulb flashed and he painted the area he will trim out next in red. 

its also red just incase he is confronted by a heard of wild cows, ( you only see' em in Norfolk ( in a right deep norfolk accent)

So as i said i sunk a few pound in one here it is in the flesh

DSC01545_zps5ede5443.jpg

DSC01542_zps4f005bce.jpg

DSC01544_zps73485d3f.jpg

DSC01543_zps4b0b721b.jpg

As you can see while i was there i got 4 new cheapo lipos to go with it just in case it sinks, gets lost or goes bang didn't want to loose my good ones but these are 40c rated so should be up for the job .. As for the rx good old tamiyacowboy came to my rescue as hobbyking where all out of stock (Big thanks fella) 

So what do i think of my first ever boat well its light seems well laid out hull feels a little thin but then i have nothing to really compare it to boat wise so guessing it must be up to the job time will tell on that.. Came needing a couple of bits attaching which took all of 15 minutes calibration is a doddle but you could do with a spare hand as you have to hold the throttle trigger in then connect the lipo all at the same time ..lipos are only held in with some sticky back velcro no straps but seem firm again time will tell .. so i got it all sorted out and filled the bath placed her in and no leaks moves off all OK ..Ruder seems to move more to one side than the other but will just play around with the end points to get it even .. I have added some extra velcro a piece each side of the hull and one in the center just behind the motor as when it was in the bath it looked like it was floating to one side, the side with the lipo on so this way i can play with where to mount the packs for the best

So all good so far and i'm really quite happy with it will give some more thoughts once she's been out on the water thanks for the heads up on these smash fella 

• Like 1

I killed my lipos yesterday :( accidentally left them plugged in after a session, totally drained them, good job they are cheap. On a side note and related to batteries, during the first video I posted you may have noticed that the boats bow was riding pretty high, this was giving pretty unpredictable handling and as there was no more prop pitch adjustment to be had i had to stick some weight in the bow.

Now if you're gonna add weight it might as well be useful weight right?

I used some 2mm thick glass board to make a new battery tray and epoxied that into the hull so that the batteries run perpendicular to the beam this adds enough weight to improve handling significantly and makes runtime around the 40 minute mark if you are just tooling around.. You'll also need to make a parallel adapter which is easy.. Nice ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm liking both boats a lot !!!

They look very vibrant and fresh

All in all , what kind of money is in the cat , how long is it ?

with a couple of batteries they're around the 120 quid mark delivered, no batts about a ton, they're both about 750mm long with the rudder hardware.
  • Like 1

Disaster has struck on the second pack !! all was going well ran my first pack taking it easy and making a few adjustments that was needed let it cool plugged in the second pack went out again... Was just turning to the right when i must have hit something under the water as the boat jumped out the water and with a slight bang then i lost all drive ..I could hear the motor turning so thought it must have just been the prop let go .. This is where we get silly no boat to go rescue it no fishing rod nothing and the boat is like hung up 30ft out in a lake !!!.. So i sat waiting for a while hoping it would perhaps come in closer but no not so bloody likely so left with 2 options get wet or go home so i got wet lucky for me a found a few sticks and had my bag of tricks with me so i taped a few together and went in ..   managed to get the boat back and the water came up to my chest yep had a few folks peeing themselves laughing but hey at-least it made someones day!!..

So got back to the side and noticed the whole flex shaft and prop had gone nothing at all left this is how it came out the lake 

DSC01547_zps87349121.jpg

So what do i do know as HK don't seem to stock the parts and don't think i can claim under warranty so looks like i'm buggered !! 

look inside the boat. take note of the motor to propshaft coupler

1. is it still fitted to motor shaft ? 

2. is the grubscrew that holds the prop shaft still in the coupler. ?

3. sounds like poor install from factory, just chucked together nothing tightened down full as should be.

you lost the whole driveline, i would be mailing them showing images of item missing, motor , motor/shaft coupler

they should not fall out just like that.

also point at the water intake. its facing the wrong way should be facing to front of boat scooping water in.

in above picture its offset  by 180 degree. 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Od throw a fit just yet mate let me get home and disassemble mine, I know one thing for sure, you gonna need a new flex cable, drive dog and a couple of bearings, all perfectly sourceable I would imagine.. I'm home in a couple of hours so I'll tell you what parts you'll need..

Disaster has struck on the second pack !! all was going well ran my first pack taking it easy and making a few adjustments that was needed let it cool plugged in the second pack went out again... Was just turning to the right when i must have hit something under the water as the boat jumped out the water and with a slight bang then i lost all drive ..I could hear the motor turning so thought it must have just been the prop let go .. This is where we get silly no boat to go rescue it no fishing rod nothing and the boat is like hung up 30ft out in a lake !!!.. So i sat waiting for a while hoping it would perhaps come in closer but no not so bloody likely so left with 2 options get wet or go home so i got wet lucky for me a found a few sticks and had my bag of tricks with me so i taped a few together and went in .. managed to get the boat back and the water came up to my chest yep had a few folks peeing themselves laughing but hey at-least it made someones day!!..

So got back to the side and noticed the whole flex shaft and prop had gone nothing at all left this is how it came out the lake

Posted Image

So what do i do know as HK don't seem to stock the parts and don't think i can claim under warranty so looks like i'm buggered !!

spate parts here.

http://www.litehawk.ca/Parts%20CHALLENGER.asp

The motor coupler is still attached to the motor with both grub screws in place for the motor shaft and both grub screws for the flex shaft are still there . It's just the flex shaft has gone completely taking the prop and other bits with it ..

Might just send it back under warranty what do you guys think ?.

Surely if the whole shaft is gone and the grub screws are still there must be some sort of fault . I even checked the grub screws before I set out and they where all super tight .

Thanks smash fella hopefully you can help me source what I need as from that site it's the whole flex shaft and fittings ! Would be better if I can get them in the UK

Check the link above buddy 8 quid for a new flex assembly, mine came loose last night but luckily the water pick up is directly behind mine and It can't escape..

Yeah i suppose only 8 quid but i bet its like a 2 month wait for shipping lets hope you can figure something out to get me up and running again from a bit closer to home !.

Bit hard to look for bits i don't even know what size to look for shaft is easy enough but the rest might be a bit harder without knowing what size to go for

Yeah i suppose only 8 quid but i bet its like a 2 month wait for shipping lets hope you can figure something out to get me up and running again from a bit closer to home !.

Bit hard to look for bits i don't even know what size to look for shaft is easy enough but the rest might be a bit harder without knowing what size to go for

just having tea and that and I'll have a measure up.. I've ordered one of those sets as a spare..

Right rich, had a measure up and you will need to buy or fabricate the following, 4mm flexishaft 210mm long or greater, 1 x mr74zz bearing, 1 x mf74zz bearing, 1 x 4mm Teflon thrust washer, 1 x 4mm dog drive, 1 x plastic spacer 7mm diameter 14mm long and 5mm bore, brass bore reducer for inside the prop 5 mm diameter 9mm long 4mm bore..

If I were you I'd give prestwich model boats a call they are you best bet for getting most of it in one hit, the bearings can be had singaly off eBay and the plastic tube you should be able to get off eBay also..

Here's a pic of the order it all goes together.. The flanged bearing goes closest to the prop..

Posted Image

Ouch sourcing in the UK gets a tad expensive.. Going to send some pics to HK see what happens  hopefully it will get sorted under warranty !? 

Considering this was my second one as you know the first had a bad esc let that go and returned it got this and now this happens the first one fair enough things happen but this as well has kinda put a nasty taste in my mouth was so looking forward to the whole boating scene but now starting to have a re think if i'm honest..

Think if i get no joy from HK i'll order that set from Canada hate to think what postage will be thou  and might just sell it !

As you can tell i'm really not very happy at all !!

Anyone want a cheap boat  ? 

Ouch sourcing in the UK gets a tad expensive.. Going to send some pics to HK see what happens hopefully it will get sorted under warranty !?

Considering this was my second one as you know the first had a bad esc let that go and returned it got this and now this happens the first one fair enough things happen but this as well has kinda put a nasty taste in my mouth was so looking forward to the whole boating scene but now starting to have a re think if i'm honest..

Think if i get no joy from HK i'll order that set from Canada hate to think what postage will be thou and might just sell it !

As you can tell i'm really not very happy at all !!

Anyone want a cheap boat ?

I'm afraid it's a boating hazard that you may at some point lose your running gear, although it doesn't happen often it remains a risk when running boats.. I doubt hobbyking will warranty it, the set I ordered from that place was 8.50 delivered, I just payed via PayPal and that was the total amount bi got charged.. Worth a try when you weigh up the total cost of buying the separate components..

No harm in trying i guess sent them some pics and info and i'll see what happens ordered the running gear from that site and paid like you.. I'll wait and see if they turn up but not holding my breath for anytime soon ..wont hurt to have a spare set if HK do warranty it 

So that's me down and out till its all sorted 

Sorry forgot to say thanks for the help fella and at least i have a list of parts to try and source if need be 

Almost forgot to update that the intake in the rudder has a crack in it also that's why its been turned round the wrong way hadn't even noticed till tam said it was wrong 

Edited by mydoddy69

It'll work if you don't mind some fettling, you'll have to dremel out the old stuffing tube and epoxy this one in after trimming to size lengthways..

Scratch that response mate you can't use that set as it's got a stepped stubshaft you need a straight 4mm one..

this is the kind of thing you need this guy will probably be able to make you one to the size you want too.. I've bought of him a few times and he's a friendly geezer..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=130948346534

just need to know the length and shaft OD

then as its hobbyking, i would look at the proboat parts/spares.

if not cornwall models etc etc , they do flex shafts. 

another place is offshorelelectrics , they us based and have a massive selection of made and kit form

flex drive shafts inc prop fittings. 

just need to know the length and shaft OD

then as its hobbyking, i would look at the proboat parts/spares.

if not cornwall models etc etc , they do flex shafts.

another place is offshorelelectrics , they us based and have a massive selection of made and kit form

flex drive shafts inc prop fittings.

post 41 fella it's all there, and it can all be gotten online in the uk..