• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Quanum aquaholic and relentless from hobbyking..

smash

Both my f1 tunnel hull and my surge crusher exhibit the same behaviour more so at low speed but it is common thing to twin hulled craft, placing the cells further reward will only make it worse, move the rudder by all means it's not going to compromise the handling as there are plenty of cats out there, mine included that have centred rudders. Just bare in mind that you'll have yo tinker with the servo and push rod setup afterward as it been set up biased to steer greater to the left than right..

Guessed you meant that! .. It's at slow speed that as well but at high speed just a touch of rudder and she seems to want to flip ..Going to try the extra weight up front as these are nice thin strips . Should if I get it right help ? .

Was thinking of getting a brass prop and giving it a tune and polish ?.

hehehe. 

go watch the 210mph turbine catamaran run in cockpit view. 

couple things to watch for, the drivers steering adjustments ( if you see anything lol), and the throttle/turbine whine. 

turn your cat over, see them two strakes makingeach of the sponsons stepped, they inject air into the water

and lubricates the wetting surface so they real slippery when at speed, even low speed. your

skimming the water surface on a cussion of air and water, the prop is pushing you along over the top

those strakes help boat slide.

cats when seen racing do certain things, they belt hell for leather in a straight line you will see a driver line up from a corner

and then hammer full open on the throttle,, then they slow and kinda

drift turn the corner, but they have one thing added, trim tabs, these keep the transom from sinking

and also balances the boat. in the straight runs but also in the turns to.

they can also be used to trim out a lopsided boat sitting in water when under power.

check manual should give you an measurement from the rear of transom, this is the cog of the boat.

bout 30-35% the total length of hull from the transom forwards.

once balanced , you can then balance for roll left and right, have the hull perfect balanced

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Getting some weight up front will definitely tame the handling to a degree, you can also lower the prop a bit if there's any adjustment left..

A decent brass or alloy prop will always be a decent upgrade, there's loads of guides on youtube about sharpening and balancing them, properly done you can gain a couple of mph top end and around 15 percent better acceleration..

The only one I've seen is from diehardrcaddicts ? 

Just invested in a brass prop !! got a ton of files to hand and plenty of wet and dry paper so should be good to go there. The only balancer i have is either my wheel one or a simple old plane prop one, so between them i should be able to rig something up that will work 

That's the best one to be honest, plain English and easy to follow.. That's how I learnt and it's easier than it looks..

Well had a little move around with the rudder and some weights..

DSC01589_zps88bc7495.jpg

DSC01591_zps570350ab.jpg

The screws are just screwed into the backing plate and i used some good old silicone to make sure it's water tight ..the rudder is a easy swap and the only real thing i forgot was to reverse the servo travel, made for a bit of wired turning in the pond but an easy fix ..

The black tape is actually the wheel weights i just added a strip and a half which turns out to be the same as half the lipo weight..  Handling has improved ten fold and stability has got a let better too now she's a real pleasure to float ..

Next up will be the brass prop and may give the underside a good wax polish  

• Like 1

Yep mate that will certainly eat up that water you run on, I knew it wouldn't be long till you were after something bigger and quicker, when it's going well fast electrics are a proper joy.. Glad you stuck with it bud..

Got the new prop and have had a go at sharpening it up and detonguing along with balancing of coarse.. Must say it took a while and left me fingers a tad cut and sore

DSC01592_zps05fcc0e3.jpg

And fitted on the boat

DSC01594_zps6551de27.jpg

Next up i'll try get some more footage with this new prop running  

• Like 1

Well sorry to have to say but this is going to be my last post and vid on this marine side of the hobby please read the description on the vid for why!!

Thanks all and this now has a new owner

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 1

Nice vid mate shame you didn't get the ruckus on camera a can imagine the back and forth you had ;) and thanks again for passing her on to me..

doddy, send me detail of the park you was using.

maybe we should send down some nitro and gas cattys.

i would put a complaint into the park right away. 

ranger was hostile, threatened legal action ( cops would have spanked the idiot and charged him for wasting police time)

i would also poke your local MP about this, what would ranger have done say it be a 10yr old lad .

shame this tard spoilt the hobby for you buddy, but i think we hobby'ish should take revenge on this boating lake 

i'm pretty sure he has no right to take it off you, he would be getting arrested for theft! personally i would if said try and take it. called the police and while they bung him in the back of the car start using the boat again :D

if only i was in the UK i would come down with my fleet and use them. public place you have a right to use public places

It's a royal park and there backed by the parks police so I knew I was pushing me luck a little but did not for one minute expect what happened ! .. The whole pond or lake has just 4 cots, 2 swans and the 4 young and a family of 4 ducks that's it .. All of which are at the other end and never come to where I was ..

This whole thing has left a real nasty taste in my mouth about the hobby in general just getting fed up with forever being told you can't do hat here or it's private land even out side my house is getting silly just seems like of late I'm fighting the world and his brother just to do a hobby I like .. Wouldn't mind but I only run electric no smelly loud nitro's !!!

No tracks no ponds no air no parks just getting silly even at work its getting hard!!

All in all fed right up might just be time to sell up and sit knitting !!!!!!!!!

thats really bad mate :(

i think the problem is everyone thinks they have a right to tell people what they can and cant do on public land, i think they just want to feel powerful

its a sad situation which i cant think of anything we can do about it!

i would say come here and have a bash as you can run what you want when you want we have that much space but it's a little far for you to come lol

then again thinking about it its not that far, flights are not to bad and the cabins we rent out are dirt cheap, right next to a 3km lake and a couple mins walk to big open fields and my mrs's farm!

food for thought for one day :thumbsup:

feeling sorry for you about, that it sucks, I have a park and large pond behind my house funny thing is there's no bylaws about cars so you can run what you want, however the pond has bylaws saying no rc boats so OK that's fair enuf, as I understand it if there already bylaws you have to obey them, but if there are no sign posted laws, then they can't come and tell you know and can't just make up new laws the next day and put them on the sign there ether.

BUT GET THIS!

There is a huge lake across town, that the local boost club uses yet there's bylaws saying no boats! Go figure how that works as I get if I greyed to use a bopat there is get kicked off!

Although regarding no laws about cars I guess that means I can run a Baja there haha, although I don't think it would last long as jkm sure someone would call the police haha.

Lucky for me there's the Sussex bashers are very local to me.

thats really bad mate :(

i think the problem is everyone thinks they have a right to tell people what they can and cant do on public land, i think they just want to feel powerful

its a sad situation which i cant think of anything we can do about it!

i would say come here and have a bash as you can run what you want when you want we have that much space but it's a little far for you to come lol

then again thinking about it its not that far, flights are not to bad and the cabins we rent out are dirt cheap, right next to a 3km lake and a couple mins walk to big open fields and my mrs's farm!

food for thought for one day :thumbsup:

As for this drrrooopll! You so lucky.sounds like heaven for RC.

Thing is i go to this pond most days to walk my dog and there is no signs about bylaws posted anywhere I had seen ..There are signs posted about keeping your dog on the lead and picking up your dog turds and no cycling but not once anywhere have i seen a sign about using rc boats!!  

Rang my local council today and after much being put on hold and put through to this and that department finally got an answer.. Not good at all there are no rc boats permitted anywhere in the borough i live in at all end of and if i do use a rc boat in any of the ponds and lakes i can have it taken from me by the local police, parks police or common rangers also have the powers to seize it from me..

Ouch not good !!  when i said that there was no bylaw signs to inform me i was told that all entrances have them onto the common, and yep as true as little apples there in the smallest place and right at the entrance where you drive in is a sign but if i was not told it was there then there is no way in hell i would have ever seen it ..So if anyone is thinking of getting a boat take the time to find out before hand if at all there is any where you can use it or like me it may be a short lived bit of fun,,real shame as boating is pretty dam cool !!  

Might still get a little boat and take me chances but must say i can do without getting into anymore trouble with the local pc plod for a while at least !! 

Next musk bash should be at bonez place then. Only kidding

more than welcome mate haha

some of the lads over here water skip a snowmobile across the lake so a boat is no probs lol