• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Quanum aquaholic and relentless from hobbyking..

smash

Yeah that stuff mixes up proper stodgy, I tried it and it was hard to get rid of the air in the stub, I'd go for some plain 15 min or 30 min epoxy, max working time and strength once cured..

Fair enough what stuff did you use then?

Just found some devcon 2 ton epoxy in the shed never been opened so should be more than up to the job !

On a side note I have a spare prop but if I was going to get another would I be better with a 4 mm bore prop?

Any chance you can link a replacement ?

Thanks

Edited by mydoddy69

Just found some devcon 2 ton epoxy in the shed never been opened so should be more than up to the job !

On a side note I have a spare prop but if I was going to get another would I be better with a 4 mm bore prop?

Thanks

I use bob smith industries 30 min epoxy as it's their toughest, getting a 4mm bore prop will negate the need for the reducer for sure, I'll have to have a look around for a suitable one and post the link when I find it..

Thanks

prop here super cheap order a few..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7355__Turnigy_4mm_AquaProp_R40x25x15mm_.html

scratch that that's a reverse prop, here is a UK seller, he only has the 42 rather than the 40 but it will be fine.. I use them on mine, you have to file off the back of the prop about 2mm on the nut end..

Right so I've had a day away from the man cave today which annoys me no end, my name is Chris and I have a fettling habit ;)

Anyways mydoddy69's first boating experience has been a little bit painful for him so heres a little part I made up earlier, and Btw I have to give doddy the credit for reminding me that these things exist as I'd seen them before but only fitted to gas boats.

Drum roll.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I knew you'd all be impressed! :rolleyes:

It's a cable/prop saver, I made it out of an old 3mm coupling I had in my parts box that was knackered one end.

Only used a hack saw and a file and job done. Fits right in the gap between the coupling and stuffing tube with no fuss or bother..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wish i had of seen them BEFORE i lost my shaft !! :shockingscary::yes::thumbsup:

Tbf I thought that due to the sized craft we used they weren't used, I saw them on some big I.C. Stuff..

Well blow me down.. The Canadian spare parts came through, I was as sceptical as you rich but they delivered today and for 8 quid it's a good service.. There are no bearings in the pack or spacers bit what you do get is a pre assembled stub and flex, a bore reducer, a lock nut and a dog drive with set screw.. Good value as separately those parts would run you way more than a tenner without postage

Posted Image

I just hope they fit ^_^

Wow that really is good ..ordered mine about the same time what's the betting mine gets stuck at customs for like a month or lost in transit ! Luck I'm having of late nothing would surprise me

Just checked and i ordered at the same time the 17th so fingers crossed it shows fits and sorts me out .. at least i'll have some spares should it happen again when it all turns up ! 

Just checked and i ordered at the same time the 17th so fingers crossed it shows fits and sorts me out .. at least i'll have some spares should it happen again when it all turns up !

Heya mate I just had another look on their site and if you order the rear shaft strut support set you get the bearings and the plastic spacer with it, I'm ordering g one right this minute it's only 5 dollars.. Nice and cheap..

Btw all the parts will fit perfectly, I've measured it all up and you be back in the game in no time.. Which is great news, nothing is worse than a sour start to a new format.. ;)

• Like 1

Well like i said my luck of late is a a joke still no parts other than the bearings showed up..First weekend off in like 2 months this weekend and no boat to float no cars to bash (unless parts show) .. Think i'm having withdrawal symptoms from rc :tease:  

Hooray yippee finally some parts to work with, have turned up   :thumbsup: 

Boohoo they don't fit together   :shockingscary:

Put like Steve Austen i have the power to rebuild this thing .. Flex shaft came in at 3.08 mm had a shaft made to 4x45mm 3mm bore so the flex dont fit ..Out came the drill and i ran a 3.2mm dremel bit through the shaft real careful like :yes:  Now the flex fits the shaft not so tight as i have to force it but close enough i hope  :thumbsup: ..

So cut the flex to length and have glued it in with some of the epoxy i had, the flex is like this \ as it was the same at both ends so would only go in the shaft this way round hope that's right ..the motor spins anti clockwise

The shaft seems a little short as the the bearings are at the end of the shaft and the plastic spacer is a little short so i made another plastic spacer this one is only 2.3mm long which i placed in the outer shaft first then the first bearing then the spacer then the final bearing .. Which takes it to the very lip placed on a thrust washer then the dog then the shaft reducer and finally the prop ..Now the prop is not a snug fit on the dog there's a gap but guessing this will be OK for now till i get some new props

Also sorted the crack in the rudder inlet just used a drop of epoxy to make an outer case.. :thumbsup: 

Last up grease all i got to hand is engineering grease so guessing this will do for now to lube the flex shaft  and packing the housing just for a few test packs ?????

So here's some pic,s of the Frankenstein shaft and bits 

DSC01579_zps440a84b8.jpg

DSC01580_zps78652339.jpg

DSC01578_zpsc020f1a4.jpg

DSC01581_zpse13c19d4.jpg

So now just got to wait for the epoxy to go off and hopefully this is back in action .. Oh one last thing had to drill out the motor coupling as well by 0.2mm just hoping its straight but guessing as it such a small amount i should be OK

• Like 1

Good work there fella, should be fine I'd say, just let that epoxy go off for 24hrs and away you go, the rule of thumb for flex shafts is that the rotation goes with the wind so that when motor spins the flex tightens, clearly if the motor span up against the wind the flex would want to unravel, grease wise the stuff you have to hand will be fine to start with although I'd get yourself a tube of lucas oil red and tacky, it's like tihs to a blanket and it's very resistant to high temps and washout..

So I take it I'm right with the wind I have then and the way the motor spins ??

Got to get some of that grease but also want a fishing rod or something to stick in my bag as a rescue option save me getting wet next time !

look on amazon, search for PEN fishing rod. 

you should find a good few small telescopic fishing rods in the oversize style of a writing pen.

pop to local fishing shop and ask for a balsa pike float and a quarter ounce and half ounce ledger. 

your sorted, pop float on, tie weight to end and throw it out. use float to see and guide line onto boat and tug in gentley

So I take it I'm right with the wind I have then and the way the motor spins ??

Got to get some of that grease but also want a fishing rod or something to stick in my bag as a rescue option save me getting wet next time !

yeah you are spot on mate, the fishing rod and grease can both be had off eBay, or amazon as tam mentioned, mine was about 7 quid, I'd recommend getting a better gauge line on there straight away as I lost my first weight and float after about ten casts or so, also if you can get a coloured line rater than clear as it makes judging your reeling in way easier and with a bit of practice you can get a boat in pretty quickly..