• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Quanum aquaholic and relentless from hobbyking..

smash

Spent a while today firing off emails and phone calls but seem to be banging my head against a wall .. Waiting on a reply from the shop suggested and really all hopes are on them for a fast fix or looking like I will be down for a while ..

Can find most in the UK but from all over the place so with all the postage not really viable

yeah looks like hobbyking done the usual, order in nice boat but forgot to bank up on

the spares. 

only other thing i can think of is making your own up. not to hard.

just a cheap 3mm flex cable, a prop adapter shaft and some good decent epoxy.

Yeah i'm sure i'll get it sorted at some point was a tad down hearted yesterday to be honest only getting in a quick run then bang it broke but that is part of the game i suppose .. 

Found a few places to try tomorrow and sent a few emails this afternoon so hopefully something will turn up 

The things i'm struggling with are the silly plastic tube of all things, and the brass reducer tube The other bits i can source from just 2 places but the flexi shaft has to be ordered in from both but at least i can find it 

Also found i can get a shaft saver so next time if it ever does go wrong it wont go flying out and getting lost ..Bit late now thou! 

Got in touch with that guy from ebay thanks smash fella hoping he will do the shaft just waiting to here back 

Edited by mydoddy69

Smash fella i'm after another favor just heard back from that seller on the bay and he's asking this can you confirm any please 

hello that is definitely some thing I can make for you, please can you confirm that the prop shaft is 4mm not the flex cable, also please advise the flex cable diameter from the photo it looks like it could be .130" or .150"

it all gets a bit messy with fast electric drive systems as half is metric the other half imperial, 5mm is an odd bore for a propeller are you sure it's not 4.76 mm (3/16) ? as that is very common for props

Not sure myself as nothing to hand thanks 

I'll pm you i think as well sorry to be a pest !

Edited by mydoddy69

Smash fella i'm after another favor just heard back from that seller on the bay and he's asking this can you confirm any please

hello that is definitely some thing I can make for you, please can you confirm that the prop shaft is 4mm not the flex cable, also please advise the flex cable diameter from the photo it looks like it could be .130" or .150"

it all gets a bit messy with fast electric drive systems as half is metric the other half imperial, 5mm is an odd bore for a propeller are you sure it's not 4.76 mm (3/16) ? as that is very common for props

Not sure myself as nothing to hand thanks

I'll pm you i think as well sorry to be a pest !

hiya mate sorry for the tardy response I was asleep on the couch early last night, the flex drive comes in at .120 which i make a shade under 3mm, and the diameter of the stub is comes in at 4mm. I think it's safe to assume that this is a metric set as the bearings are metric sizes, it's pretty unusual to see a reducer inside a prop altogether and I would imagine that it's a measure they've used because they couldn't get a supply of 4mm props the right size which Btw is 40mm

Well what a bad day this is heard back from HK and there just not interested and say its really down to me as the owner to check all fixings before hand even thou i did there still not going to help .. Then i here back from the only guy who's responded to my emails saying he can't make me a shaft as has no 3mm flex shaft  so unless i want to remove the whole tube then i'm stuffed but that also leads to a whole load of other problems apparently so not some thing i really want to do ..  

So with all this hassle think these just aren't such a good buy after all as no spares to fix them and break far to easy 

Looking like the only fix is coming from Canada if it ever shows ! and not sure if its going to work or not as the boat is  62mm shorter ?!

All in all my first boating experience has been a complete turd and a waste of money so far 

Well what a bad day this is heard back from HK and there just not interested and say its really down to me as the owner to check all fixings before hand even thou i did there still not going to help .. Then i here back from the only guy who's responded to my emails saying he can't make me a shaft as has no 3mm flex shaft so unless i want to remove the whole tube then i'm stuffed but that also leads to a whole load of other problems apparently so not some thing i really want to do ..

So with all this hassle think these just aren't such a good buy after all as no spares to fix them and break far to easy

Looking like the only fix is coming from Canada if it ever shows ! and not sure if its going to work or not as the boat is 62mm shorter ?!

All in all my first boating experience has been a complete turd and a waste of money so far

mate ask him if he'll sell you the stub as you can just buy a cheapo dremel flex shaft for 6 or 7 quid from eBay and cut that to size and epoxy it into the stub.. It's what I did with the sprint before I sold it.. This is the one I used it's got 3mm flex in the middle..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=360463122018

It'll work just fine..

Hmm what do you guys think of this ?

If i get this (smash can you check and make sure its long enough ? ) thanks 

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=etti-A012

Then epoxy the flex shaft in as its only just under 1/2 a mm bigger than the flex shaft?? 

Oh and i cant find these anywhere in the UK in stock so if any ones knows where to find them in the UK that will be great if it would work thou?? 

Edited by mydoddy69

am a bit busy tonight gonna head onto GT5 drift race a few of my new machines.

will have a lookie over weekend see if i can find something uk based if not will have a word with a mate see if he can throw one up on lathe for me.

infact hmmmm off to youtube find me a home made metal lathe lol. my router table is the shizzle

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Hmm what do you guys think of this ?

If i get this (smash can you check and make sure its long enough ? ) thanks 

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=etti-A012

Then epoxy the flex shaft in as its only just under 1/2 a mm bigger than the flex shaft?? 

Oh and i cant find these anywhere in the UK in stock so if any ones knows where to find them in the UK that will be great if it would work thou??

yeah thats exactly the right size, and yes again to the epoxy, i used 30min slow cure because its the strongest..

Well i've had i terrible time trying to source these bits but finally think i'm getting some where.. This is what i have on order so hoping it will all work out 

https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1303&osCsid=72b2af029a35aa4dccb77f251e15666e

https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1349&osCsid=72b2af029a35aa4dccb77f251e15666e

https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=626&osCsid=72b2af029a35aa4dccb77f251e15666e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360463122018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200938723784?var=500169428490&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=)%20MR74zz

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=)%20Mf74zz

The brass tube reducer i just couldn't find but i have a piece of alloy tubing which will do the job as it doesn't really do anything other than fill the hole so should be fine ?

Only thing now is waiting for it to come and finding something suitable to glue the flex shaft in ??

Should i get the blow torch out and use some solder?? or epoxy it ?? if i solder what sort should i get ?? or what epoxy ?

Thanks all for the help and your patience   

soldering flex shafts makes the brittle/prone to breaking where the soldering was done.

its because the solder wicks the flex together.

best stuff is something like araldite two part epoxy. 

best way to use it is warm it up in a cup of warm water.

the more warmer the resin and hardener are the more easy they will mix,

they will also become more runny allowing it to be drizzled into holes and pockets more easy.

less hassle with epoxy, just give it a good time to cure and your good to go

Is it really that easy then just fill the stub with epoxy insert flex and let it cure ?

No squaring of the flex or anything ?

Never done it before so any pointers will be welcome

yeah mate its really very simple, what i did was open up my vice just wide enough to cradle the stub, trim the flex to the desired length, you need to make sur the wind of the flex is the right way round, the wind must slope downward left to right like this \ otherwise you will unwind the flex when you throttle up.

Then wipe the flex down with some thinners to get the grease off it and rough it up with some emery cloth at the end to be bonded, mix up your epoxy and the coat that end in it, insert it with a spinning motion into the stub.

You may feel some resistance as there'll be a little air trapped at the base but you should hear a little crack as it escapes.

Rest the whole assembly in the cradle of the vice and allow it to cure for 24 hrs..

That's it, then dry fit it all together and tweak to suit..

Awesome thanks for the tip didn't think about the way it rotates will it be same for all motors combos. .?

I have some chemical metal epoxy is that alright for the job I do I need just araldite.?

If it's too thick it will be a ball ache ideally you want something quite runny with no loader in it, it will be the same for all set ups that spin counter clockwise.

This is what i have to hand 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/epoxy-metal-repair-JB-weld-cold-weld-compound-superstrong-2-part-metal-fix-/151016064278?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2329424516

But if you think something else will be better just link it want to get it right first time so don't have the hassle again (hopefully)