• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

baja ignition problem

170pand

Hello everyone I have a baja 5b ive fitted a new obr engine buy since fitting roughly 3 weeks ago ive done 5 coils

Ive changed the flywheel for a new one and also coils have been new

It's the 27.2cc long block any help would b much appreciated as brought engine of there ebay seller and hes useless and wont even supply the parts under his guarantee so paying to sort engine on top of buying it new

Tried plug have 3 brand new ones just got a spare engine out and none of the coils work in that one either got me mates plugs out of his one has perfect spark on his and none at all on mine we.re all puzzled as we.ve all said how could I do that many coils as they never die but every time its happened new coil and its running fine for 5 to 15 minutes then dies again

I've had a clone coil DOA, but I've never had to swap a 'genuine' one.

The ignition system on these is really simple. As long as the magnet on the flywheel is good, set the gap correctly ( business card trick works well here) then it should all work. Add in a good plug and a servicable plug cap and lead, and you get a spark.

1) Check the flywheel. Make sure there is no play in the bearings ( flywheel should not move up and down...... ) and that there is no obvious signs of scuffing or scraping on the magents

2) Check the plug cap and lead are good. Replace if in any doubt.

3) Check the plug is clean and gapped properly.

4) Check the coil gap. I use the many business cards coming through my letterbox to set the gap. Slacken both bolts. Pull the coil away from the flywheel. Slide in card. Let the coil sit back and gently tighten both bolts back up. Flywheel should spin smoothly and not rub.

There isn't a lot else that you can do....but blowing that many coils is bizarre...and there muct be something else wrong

Was running a killer b but took off when problem started

Problem carried on with remote kill switch

Got a switch blade on now but took that off just in case im just putting a lightened flywheel on and another coil borrowed off a mate but told him he probably wont get the same one back lol

I had one of them pull start filters on it but wondered if that was overheating it but didnt make any difference to temps if it was on or off

Im gonna check all the above and let u all know if it worked

Even disco dave comes out with us and he cant figure it out either lol

I have killed 2 coils and countless plugs over the last 2 seasons of racing, my problem was finally traced to the killer bee I was running as I took it off a few months ago and havent had a single starting issue since.

Hello everyone I have a baja 5b ive fitted a new obr engine buy since fitting roughly 3 weeks ago ive done 5 coils

Ive changed the flywheel for a new one and also coils have been new

It's the 27.2cc long block any help would b much appreciated as brought engine of there ebay seller and hes useless and wont even supply the parts under his guarantee so paying to sort engine on top of buying it new

The UK distributor is a member on here but I cant remember what his user name is! I would get in touch with him direct & see if he can sort it for you. You got a link to the seller you bought it from?

Sellers names nitroroo on ebay gets them straight from shaun I think

Has told me he now has ordered my long rod coil from armerica and will supply a flywheel and a hd gasket set

But if obrs r like this from new I will never ever buy another one as there not a quick as I thought they would b to b honest a standard 30cc keeps up which is why all us this end think its engine related rather than ignition side

Engine now alive again after coil replaced and put a mates lightened fly wheel on

But I will state I had no issues with coil till I paid 570 for a obr just wish id brought another standard one and stayed away from obr

Engine now alive again after coil replaced and put a mates lightened fly wheel on

But I will state I had no issues with coil till I paid 570 for a obr just wish id brought another standard one and stayed away from obr

Dont see how the engine is killing your coils what ever make it is.

I run an OBR and its great, bags of power and 100% reliable.

Me boys fg is a half mod I think u call them his fg wheelys at 3 quarter throttle with it but I cant c any other cause and shaun from obr armerica has email saying he thinks somethings not right with engine as well

As 3 different flywheels and now the 6th coil on it

Said it can not b down to just coils and flywheels as one he could understand but not this many on one model as ive changed set up 3 times from changing flywheel and coil together and 6th coil with me mates flywheel today

i can see your having major issues buddy but i dont see how the engine can effect the coil like that.

Is there any damage to the pick ups on the coil as if the flywheel is some how off center and hitting it ??

I checked the movment on it as read the other posts no up down or side to side movement at all

it was a brand new out the box one this morning 15 minutes driving later car cut out coil dead

Borrowed a new flywheel off a mate and his working coil from his car fired straight back up

Before I changed these I tried new plug top

New ht lead and then changed flywheel and coil

If my engine was running hot would this kill it just trying to rule things out I.ve got temp reading on me gun but ive never found out temps of these when they run like the nitros so to speak

not sure on temps as ive never tested mine but have run 30min finals on hot days without issue.

Its a strange one for sure

When the lads get back from racing ill shoot Ian Oddie a message to see if he as any ideas

• Like 1

There isnt any play in the main end bearings is there by which I mean that you cant move the flywheel up and down at all.

There no play at all om the flywheel bearings engine now on the table lol

Not sure what temps bajas r meant to run around as tried googling but couldn't find anything on this

If anyone know roughly would b greatfull plz

Could it be a faulty cut off button causing some kind of short out just randomly putting it out there could be a small thing like that that easily gets over looked and it just gets put back on the car and your just replacing the faulty part every time ?

Nope i brought a new one on coil number 4 as thought of that but still does it

This coil in it now has another different set of wires and another different cut off switch im gonna run the engine naked so to speak to check its not getting to hot when together