• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight has arrived! - Update thread.

I've wanted to buy a Mini 8ight for a long time, but never took the plunge and just bought one.

So recently I saw one I really liked the look of and bought it, and it's just arrived! :D

Looks awesome, great condition, everything feels smooth and as it should and got a 1,800mAh 2s Gens Ace LiPo to boot.

One question I do have, I have the Core UAC-50 charger, now for the LiPo I imagine it's the small white end I use for charging, if I plug this into the charger, set it to Auto - 1.8 - LiPo, will it automatically balance charge, or do I need to alter other settings too? My LiPo sack hasn't arrived yet so going to charge it at the back door just in case something goes wrong, but wanted to make sure those settings will charge it correctly.

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Edited by Oh How Original

core uac either charges a lipo with or without balance mode, should of came with a little balance board to plug the balance lead into it.

read the manual its all there n really easy to work out, if you have not got the manual its available online. 

on a off note, i thought you was getting an indoor touring car or something? 

He's all over the place when it comes to RC purchases, this will be up for sale or broken in two or three days and then he will turn up with a boat or submarine or rocket. ;)

• Like 2

You charge it via the battery leads, the white plug is the balance plug.

I have the balance board with the charger, so cheers :)

core uac either charges a lipo with or without balance mode, should of came with a little balance board to plug the balance lead into it.

read the manual its all there n really easy to work out, if you have not got the manual its available online. 

Well I was intending to, but I've simply had a change of heart after speaking to the local racers some more :)

He's all over the place when it comes to RC purchases, this will be up for sale or broken in two or three days and then he will turn up with a boat or submarine or rocket. ;)

Is what I do with my own money any of your business at all?... Nope, didn't think so.

This isn't going to be getting sold, probably broken though, but won't take long to fix.

I've actually wanted one of these for quite some time, so now I've got it, it's staying... But as you said in your Savage thread, what you do with your money is up to you, what I do with MY money is mine.

If you don't like it, go to someone elses thread.

Wow, poking a little fun and you may have overreacted a little there?

I'm not judging how you spend your money I was nearing making a comical observation as to your recent RC history, equally if you took the mick of how bad I am with nitros in one of my threads that would be fine and i would join in because I am it's not a ridicule it's a fact.

Go untwist your knickers and carry on ;)

• Like 1

Wow, poking a little fun and you may have overreacted a little there?

I'm not judging how you spend your money I was nearing making a comical observation as to your recent RC history, equally if you took the mick of how bad I am with nitros in one of my threads that would be fine and i would join in because I am it's not a ridicule it's a fact.

Go untwist your knickers and carry on ;)

You caught me right at the wrong moment I'm afraid :) I actually replied much earlier on, but my posts have to be approved.

My apologies :) and yes I have bought and sold a bit recently, I should never have bought the pair of Bajas I did in the first place, I never felt right about it but my Dad was really itching for one so I just went for it :lol:

This is definitely staying though, really enjoying tinkering on with it, hopefully get it out tomorrow for a bit, just hoping I charge the battery right.

I heard inferno is the goto guy to get savages started  :P

Seriously though, nice car have fun with it, however if you do get a rocket i want to see it

I plan on having loads of fun with it, provided I can find some tightly compact dirt, if not it'll be used on tarmac/concrete round here and I'll buy a skate ramp from Argos :P

I heard inferno is the goto guy to get savages started  :P

Seriously though, nice car have fun with it, however if you do get a rocket i want to see it

Yeah I am considered the Don of starting savages now ;)

Yeah the losi cars are brilliant, enjoy it dude

Just had it out on the street.... Man this thing is fun! :D definitely need to get my order in for the spurpinion cover though.

Also a quick question for you Mini 8ight owners.

When I turn sharply then give it any throttle, the power just spins away in the cocked up wheel.

Would locking the rear diff solve this problem, or would that cause problems elsewhere?

Maybe just a thick diff oil perhaps? Anyone got any suggestions?

They ARE metal geared diffs already from what I recall....

I had an issue with mine, which turned out to be a bad bearing. I swapped out the bearing and it's been fine since. This might be a bit more serious though

Ahhh I wasn't aware, thankfully I didn't even have to go into the diff.

check the grub screw on the centre outdrive, thats normally the problem and a drop of threadlock should stop it

Bang on, the grub screw had just come loose and the outdrive had slipped out of position.

One thing I will say about this Losi... The nuts and bolts are absolutely appalling, I've took about 10 off in total and 7 of them are rounded.

I know their is a screw kit available from thetoyz, but does anyone have a list of what exactly it consists of?

So I can buy some high tensile ones... These really are awful! :lol:

Had it out for a little bash today in the quarry, everything held up well, lost drive to the front again but it gradually went so I'm guessing the grub screw has come loose again, I will give it some locktite this time if it is that.

Didn't show it any mercy and the only damage is a teeny tiny bend on the front shock tower, just on the edge and the wing mount is bent as well.

Other than that, these things are tougher than most people make out :D

The duffs are really simple, but arnt sealed so use grease not oil. If you put more grease in the front diff that will help that unloaded wheel issue and it will turn in better.

The duffs are really simple, but arnt sealed so use grease not oil. If you put more grease in the front diff that will help that unloaded wheel issue and it will turn in better.

So their is no oil at all inside the diff? Never heard of that before, is their any particular grease you'd recommend? :)

Also how does slowing down the front diff help with the cocking real wheel spinning the power away? I'm not saying it's not true or anything like that, just want to understand the workings of the diffs a bit better for future reference, a I've never used a greased diff instead of oil.

Springs are at their lowest setting.

Will have to wait for the bolts to arrive, make sure they're the right size then drill all these useless ones out then have a look at the diffs.

It looks like their was oil on the chassis when I had it off the other day, so maybe the previous owner put oil in without realising, easy mistake to make but could explain the power spinning away.

As my esc was getting really hot after 15 minutes run time, I decided to give the shell some air holes, instead of normal air holes I decided to be creative :P I am going to move the spur up to a 58T from 56T as well when my new bolts arrive and I make sure they fit as these Losi cheese need drilling out.

IMG_2313.jpg