• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pc build help?

dajones89

Is anyone kind enough to make a example basket for me as ive only got my phone to work with.

Im after a decent spec Intel based nvidia maybe sli? machine. Looking at about 1k (may go reasonably higher)for everything including monitor if I could. Only issue is I need to spend 500 in pcworld (of all places) as ive got vouchers from a claim to get rid of. The rest of the value can be from any decent retailer but preferably 1 other company.

Im guessing the graphics and screen are going to be the biggest spend.

Ive had a quick look and I cant get my head around whats compatible with what. I was looking at a laptop originally as lack of room but that has changed. This is the laptop specs for comparison. I want to play games without worrying about lack of power and future proof as much as possible. Ill need a windows 7 disc aswell. If anyone knows of any offers towards the armed forces that would be amazing.

Posted Image

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dajones89

Try to limit the amount of items you buy at pc world, they are utterly useless, id suggest looking at curries online and using a click and collect service or something like that where you can pay in store, then spend the rest on proper websites

The reason to use curries online is that the stores barely hold any parts ever, and you can do research without underpaid overstressed sales people bugging you and not knowing anythign even if you do ask them :P

And yes, i spent a while working there ;)

Edited by CyberRaver
  • Like 1

Yea I totally agree with the pc world comments but sadly ive got 500 quids worth of vouchers to spend there and to replace the broken computer (vouchers from insurance). Yea I was planning on getting a list together and going in store to order to collect. Sadly I have no idea what mobo fits what processor etc anymore. Been looking on ocuk some decent machines on there but im

Yea I totally agree with the pc world comments but sadly ive got 500 quids worth of vouchers to spend there and to replace the broken computer (vouchers from insurance). Yea I was planning on getting a list together and going in store to order to collect. Sadly I have no idea what mobo fits what processor etc anymore. Been looking on ocuk some decent machines on there but im

I use Ebuyer for all my PC needs they have a massive range of items. PC World suck. you could use the vouchers for the few things they do ok with, items like a mouse mat!

As Tim said, if you have enough left in the PC world kitty could probably get a decent monitor from them as well. Are you locked to using Nvidia or are you open to AMD as well?

Try to limit the amount of items you buy at pc world, they are utterly useless, id suggest looking at curries online and using a click and collect service or something like that where you can pay in store, then spend the rest on proper websites

The reason to use curries online is that the stores barely hold any parts ever, and you can do research without underpaid overstressed sales people bugging you and not knowing anythign even if you do ask them :P

And yes, i spent a while working there ;)

seriously......... ummm its the same company lol (I know as I worked for Mastercare or as they are known now 'Know How')

dajones have a look at http://www.novatech.co.uk/

Edited by snoopystorm

As Tim said, if you have enough left in the PC world kitty could probably get a decent monitor from them as well. Are you locked to using Nvidia or are you open to AMD as well?

Ive only ever had Nvidia so not a clue about AMD.

Still wondering why people keep posting about other stores?

Anyway. Try and grab a GPU and Monitor from PC world. you wont save much money buying a GPU else where.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/asus-amd-radeon-hd-7970-pci-e-graphics-card-3-gb-20745326-pdt.html

That's the best bang for Buck you can get ATM. you wont have to worry about upgrading it for a fair few years either. That will leave you with

Still wondering why people keep posting about other stores?

ummm this is why people are posting about 'Other' stores lol

Looking at about 1k (may go reasonably higher)for everything including monitor if I could. Only issue is I need to spend 500 in pcworld (of all places) as ive got vouchers from a claim to get rid of. The rest of the value can be from any decent retailer but preferably 1 other company.

Think a decent build is coming together from these suggestions. Thanks. How about ram? Ive only ever swapped out laptop ram so used crucial which told me exactly what was needed. What's good value out there?.

ummm this is why people are posting about 'Other' stores lol

Yeah but your you have to figure out what can be brought from pc world to use up the 500, before you go shopping else where.

Think a decent build is coming together from these suggestions. Thanks. How about ram? Ive only ever swapped out laptop ram so used crucial which told me exactly what was needed. What's good value out there?. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Anything more than 1600mhz is a waste of money. You just won't notice the extra grunt, but you will certainly notice the empty wallet.

You can grab 8gb of DDR 3 for around

Thanks for the help. Ive just ordered a alienware and ended all the confusion. Ive gone for the x51. Max spec apart from the ssd upgrade. Going to do that myself later on.

Posted Image

When thay gets delivered ill pop to pcworld and pick up a screen keyboard mouse and speakers. Will get pics up.

• Like 1

i built my PC using ebuyer.com

got everything from there apart from the motherboard which i got from amazon

delivery is amazingly quick , just like modelsport uk but for computer stuff...

they are relatively cheap as they are an online store, check it out :)