• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage flux HP or 3.5 conversion?

What about selling the nitro for whatever you can get, and buying a used Savage flux HP- you'll save even more money that way. Might need a few upgrades or replacement parts depending on condition.

I wouldn't recommend the SC8 esc in a Flux though- that's a buggy/truggy esc really- good for a light MT, but not a big heavy one given the choice. You'd also be wanting the MT sized motor ( 42x74mm 2000-2250kv motor ), not anything smaller like the 42x68mm version...

• Like 1

What about selling the nitro for whatever you can get, and buying a used Savage flux HP- you'll save even more money that way. Might need a few upgrades or replacement parts depending on condition.

I wouldn't recommend the SC8 esc in a Flux though- that's a buggy/truggy esc really- good for a light MT, but not a big heavy one given the choice. You'd also be wanting the MT sized motor ( 42x74mm 2000-2250kv motor ), not anything smaller like the 42x68mm version...

What would you reccomend as a combo? Waterproof if possible.

http://bit.ly/11314UZ

Is what I had planned, it does have a 2000kv motor 42 x 72?

That'll do nicely- I wouldn't put too much faith in waterproof escs though- the connectors and sockets aren't waterproof, neither are the Rx or servos generally ( and the Flux isn't a boat... :D ). 

Question though- what voltage / # of cells were you planning on running, since an 1800kv motor is generally what you'd use for 5-6s lipo, will be a bit slow on only 4s lipo. I'd be looking at the 2000kv motor for all-round use, or the 2200kv motor for mainly 4-5s, with 6s saved only for speed runs as such...

I went with the XERun 150A ESC for my truggy, but I paired it with a 4082 4 pole Leopard motor. Very impressed by what it can do...and it has masses of torque! I went for the 2000KV option for flexibity. Runs strongly on 4S, and is mental on 5S

Well worth getting the program card, especially if you run 5S, as the thing does not autodetect 5S. It gets confused between a fully charged 5S pack and a run down 6S pack. Detects it as 6S ( 6 beeps on power up) and then the LVC cuts in. You can program by pressing the program button several hundred times....but the card is easier!

You'll need a few extra bits and bobs if your converting a 3.5, a savage x makes a better base but its nothing major really. With the conversion kit the only differences from the genuine hp will be the esc and motor combo and the wheels and tyres you running - 14mm or 17mm hexs. I got one and converted my savage 25.cost was just a tad ovr 300 to complete with lipos (careful buying and selling)

And I love it

I have a nice few options really, I've now whittled it down to :

Genuine hpi conversion

Or

Thunder tiger mt4 g3

Tbh I'm a little concerned about the TT spares as I can't even find the truck in stock!!

Plus I can share lipos with my son.

Maybe I'll retire the savage to the loft then treat it to a 4.6 engine next year when I fancry nitro again...

You'll need a few extra bits and bobs if your converting a 3.5, a savage x makes a better base but its nothing major really. With the conversion kit the only differences from the genuine hp will be the esc and motor combo and the wheels and tyres you running - 14mm or 17mm hexs. I got one and converted my savage 25.cost was just a tad ovr 300 to complete with lipos (careful buying and selling)

And I love it

great to here your enjoying it, im swaying towards the savage once more for spares availability purely, what combo did you put in & what lipos do you use?

you say it was over

I put a 150a xerun esc with 2000kv motor.

And two 2s 5000mah turnigy lipos. Think they 40c ones. Only running 4s but is plenty fast enough for my driving lol.

Put the nitro in the loft. You can pick up a used Sav flux HP, with Batts and charger etc for the money you need to buy all the bits for conversion. That way, you have both as the grass is always greener . . . . .

• Like 1

thanks Dazza, so what would be the advantage of 150A over 120A?

I assume your speaking about the Wp Sc8 120a and Xerun 150a if so:

Xerun you can run upto 6s and can run a sensored motor if need be.

Wp Sc8 only upto 4s but waterproof so weather won't stop bashing ;).

Edit:

As I linked in your other thread I think these should fit:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29004

Good price as well.

Thanks.

Edited by DazzaClio