• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Super 5 SC Flux (hereafter known as the Super 5)

Well well well, ive just bought one of these superb trucks today, im well impressed to be honest, i got it as a roller with no elecs, i spent this afternoon striping the truck down to fit the motor in, while it was appart thought i would try some 500,000 oil in the cd, just to give it a little more kick, i was temped to bung my savy flux box into it which obviously doest have a diff, but settled on giving the oil a go first, i already had it anyway, whacked it all back together with a hobbywing 150amp esc and 2000kv motor combo and charged my 3s lipos up, ive also used the 16 tooth pinion off my savy, just had it out for a blast and i can honestly say i think its a brilliant truck, its by no means underpowered either and was spining all fours for fun on tarmac, its superb fun, motor and esc wasnt getting that hot either, around 35c with the temp gun, totally different to my baja 5b in how it drives, but just as much fun, i walked away with a big grin, lovely.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Can i just ask you lads a question please, ive fitted into the super 5 a savox 1268sg high volvage servo, its rated at 7.4v to give a nice 25kg's of power, im obviously running 22v through the truck with spektrum radio gear, how can i get the full fat of power out of it as im sure the speky receiver will be knocking it down to 6v which seemed ok power wise but we all know we always need more power right :-) cheers in advance for any help.

Can i just ask you lads a question please, ive fitted into the super 5 a savox 1268sg high volvage servo, its rated at 7.4v to give a nice 25kg's of power, im obviously running 22v through the truck with spektrum radio gear, how can i get the full fat of power out of it as im sure the speky receiver will be knocking it down to 6v which seemed ok power wise but we all know we always need more power right :-) cheers in advance for any help.

It's the ESC that dictates the BEC voltage, not the Rx.

Don't run that through the internal BEC. Use an external uBEC, it'll be far better and stop the "brown-outs". Just remember to isolate the red connector on the ESC Rx plug.

Ok so i need a external bec to bump the power up, how do i fit one of those and where does it go, sorry to be a pain but im a noob when it comes to electrics, jack send me a email buddy with how much you want for it, cheers.

Ok so i need a external bec to bump the power up, how do i fit one of those and where does it go, sorry to be a pain but im a noob when it comes to electrics, jack send me a email buddy with how much you want for it, cheers.

Leccy section, uBEC FAQs thread. Mines just zip-tied in, I'll post a pic if it helps.

He only wants postage!

Very good thread, i bought my truck after reading this thread and watched RC Freaks awesome videos on Youtube :)

Modifications so far is:

Sav
Edited by Kim
  • Like 1

Nice track! Liking the vids.

Exact same mods as my super 5 aswell. I can't wait to be back in the game now. Just waiting on my replacement motor from hpi!

Great vids man, wish i had a track near me like that.

Pukka vids, can't believe how well it went on 4s! I only run mine on 6s.

Nice track! Liking the vids.

Exact same mods as my super 5 aswell. I can't wait to be back in the game now. Just waiting on my replacement motor from hpi!

Thanks guys! :)

Stop rambling! Nobody likes a long, boring, drawn out reply! Try to keep it short, sweet and on topic!

ROFL!

What??

Anyone else who had to change the bearings in the centerdiff after about 10 runs? I changed mine to ceramic rubbersealed ones. Seems to hold up fine now.

Here is some action pics, and a picture after i removed all the HPI decals on the body:

5sc1.jpg

5sc2.jpg

5sc3.jpg

Edited by Kim

What??

Anyone else who had to change the bearings in the centerdiff after about 10 runs? I changed mine to ceramic rubbersealed ones. Seems to hold up fine now.

Here is some action pics, and a picture after i removed all the HPI decals on the body:

5sc1.jpg

5sc2.jpg

5sc3.jpg

I was joking.

No bearing issues yet, it just runs and runs, if a little hot! How did you know you had bearing issues?

Great action shots! Don't you just love how easily they fly?!

I was joking.

No bearing issues yet, it just runs and runs, if a little hot! How did you know you had bearing issues?

Great action shots! Don't you just love how easily they fly?!

Ok :) The shaft holding the spurgear started to become wobbly, so i removed it, and the bearings was totally gone.

Yeah they fly great :)

Ok :) The shaft holding the spurgear started to become wobbly, so i removed it, and the bearings was totally gone.

Yeah they fly great :)

Ah, got ya. Might have been unlucky and had a couple of duff bearings. I had that very recently on a Traxxas diff, killed a brand new crown and pinion.

I've put so many packs through mine. And the only bearings I've had to replace so far is a back wheel bearing and a bearing on the rear diff. Centre has been spot on.

About 30 packs in and no bearing issues at all. Besides the servo and motor/ESC combo swap it is still pretty much as new.

I can't beleive no one here has not had any issues with the axles. I must of broken six by now lol.

A few of them were down to bad landings but I just think they're far too weak!