• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Toxic Monster, savvy flux xl, alza racing center diff conversion, castle 1717, mamba xl2.

Toxic Basher

IMO you'd be much better off going for hardened steel diff shafts than Ti ones.

The only advantage that Ti has in this application is that it's lighter (about 60% of the weight of steel), which won't make much difference as it's such a small amount of the material, unless you're trying to save fractions of a gram!

The biggy for this job is that Ti isn't as hard wearing as steel, especially when rubbing against other bits of metal. So, in a diff, where the gears revolve on its surface, it won't do as well.

IRC do some gooduns http://www.innovative-rc.com/differential-gaskets-bevel-diff-shafts-p-199.html?osCsid=7c0d7add993c00f73ff429b120666b41

Apologies for the geekiness....  :blush:  !!!

+1 tbh i only got them becuase of the price and there shiny :D

Thanks gramps, ill order a few sets from irc when I have some spare pennies :)

I've got it ready for this weekend so fingers crossed for good weather.

No worries pal :)

Had to stop myself from launching into a rant about other material properties to bore everyone to sleep with there...

That last vid looked great btw  :thumbsup:

IMO you'd be much better off going for hardened steel diff shafts than Ti ones.

The only advantage that Ti has in this application is that it's lighter (about 60% of the weight of steel), which won't make much difference as it's such a small amount of the material, unless you're trying to save fractions of a gram!

The biggy for this job is that Ti isn't as hard wearing as steel, especially when rubbing against other bits of metal. So, in a diff, where the gears revolve on its surface, it won't do as well.

IRC do some gooduns http://www.innovative-rc.com/differential-gaskets-bevel-diff-shafts-p-199.html?osCsid=7c0d7add993c00f73ff429b120666b41

Apologies for the geekiness....  :blush:  !!!

hey, if it's geekiness, then i'm a .... well, no, no i'm not,lol. that's some good info buddy :thumbsup: ,thanks. and thanks for the link too :thumbsup:

Well I've not had a chance to run it this weekend, the weathers been awful and I'm quite busy, ill be taking it to 3 sisters next Sunday for its maiden 6s voyage :)

You'd better have a video camera handy! And no more of this "you'll get what you're given!" talk!

Where exactly is this Seven Sisters bash? Big meet or just a local regular meet?

• Like 1

Local meet but it's not been so regular with the weather we've had :(

Ill have my gopro ready for the next bash :)

Tell me about it! I'm fed up with the weather. You get a few sunny days towards the end of the week, so you start planning for a weekends bashing, then it tips it down all over your parade!

Yay for the UK!

TB, where did you get your esc/ motor combo from mate? i've seen it about with different size motors, from different countries, at different prices. how much should i be expecting to pay? 

Scott

The esc was an eBay USA job. 130 including delivery and import fees etc :) it's a beauty of an esc, the data loggings good and allows you to check exactly what's happened each run :) the motor I got from bez I think. It's a Traxxas xo1 motor. Same as the discontinued castle 1717 but more efficient. I paid around

have you had a chance to run the 'Savage Hi-Bred' yet TB'? is the motor holding up? i mean, no movement from the 2 bolts holding it onto the centre kit.

have you invaded your bank account and done anymore work to it? :xd:

Unfortunately bud the weathers been awful :( and I'm working this weekend but hopefully ill be taking it out Sunday afternoon with the north west bashers :)

I've just raided the PayPal funds for new bits for my other savvy and the losi xxl monster :lol:

Unfortunately bud the weathers been awful :( and I'm working this weekend but hopefully ill be taking it out Sunday afternoon with the north west bashers :)

I've just raided the PayPal funds for new bits for my other savvy and the losi xxl monster :lol:

i know, whether wise, its been awful, although i got my diff this morning and by time i got it fixed the sun was beaming :hahadance: , and it went for the whole of my 3s and then my 2s without any issues. i'm proud to own a savage again now :yes:

now...... on to alza racing,lol, i think i may be aloud a few more parcels :whistling: . think i'll get it all extended before i buy a new esc/motor

hope it goes well for you at the weekend bud. i think i might travel to orton bmx track sometime over the weekend

i know, whether wise, its been awful, although i got my diff this morning and by time i got it fixed the sun was beaming :hahadance: , and it went for the whole of my 3s and then my 2s without any issues. i'm proud to own a savage again now :yes:

now...... on to alza racing,lol, i think i may be aloud a few more parcels :whistling: . think i'll get it all extended before i buy a new esc/motor

hope it goes well for you at the weekend bud. i think i might travel to orton bmx track sometime over the weekend

if you havent already got the xl chassis and brace kit shoot me a pm :D

Corb's, thanks for the offer mate :thumbsup: , but i'll be getting the 5t chassis. and with the basket i have ready to buy alza racing have a deal on when you reach 'X' amount with free delivery. thanks for the offer tho bud

• 2 weeks later...

well the bashing started good but never lasted, an xl axle gave up the ghost before id run my first packs through it, i have spares but stupidly never packed them  :whistling:  anyway ive got a 3 min + vid uploading now should be ready soon,

im a bit confused with the system though, i was running a 25t pinion on 4s the other week and it got quite warm but nothing major, i geared it down to a 20t as i was going for 6s but i only managed 4s before the axle broke, it was quite hot weather wise yesterday but just on 4s with the 20t pinion the esc and motor were hot too touch, i never even had my temp gun  :shockingscary: ill be plugging it into the computer later and pretending i know what all the graphs mean  :xd:

you have a heavy truck and the 1717 is not almighty, that is all. I have the 1520, which is roughly comparable in terms of power( yes I know the 1717 is stronger, but not much stronger than the 1520), and my gearing standard is always 60km/h on 4s. no temp issues whatsoever and still enough speed. Your current gearing is 102 km/h or so, so do not expect low temperatures. I would change gearing from 20/48 to 16/48. Your esc can handle 8s lipo, so dont be afraid to go even lower on the pinion. Spare the big pinions for speed records and bash with lower gearing  :thumbsup:

• Like 1