• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Toxic Monster, savvy flux xl, alza racing center diff conversion, castle 1717, mamba xl2.

Toxic Basher

Is the vorza diff totally different to a hyper 7 diff ?

I guess if you haven't minced one then they are worth the big price tag

I love then tvp's !!

Long delivery times from alza ?

I'm still trying to get my head round the insane power , speed and run time + the durability !!!

I've got a spare set of alza tvps here bud with 1717 motor mounts aswell :) drop us a pm and I'm sure we could sort something out if your interested.

The diffs are relatively cheap if bought from eBay USA and yes the Vorza diff Is very similar to the hyper 7 diff, I've also had several vorza's and never killed a diff so I know it's up to the job.

On 6s this things insane and pops double backflips for fun :lol:

• Like 1

Your truck is already quite obese and you put even more fat on her instead of a diet? :D Just kidding, a big truck definitely needs big shocks! The only thing I dont like about the lst shocks are their puny shafts that tend to break rather easily, especially with added weight...

How durable is your savage now, weighing 15lbs and running 6s?

I see you put the badlands on the truck to relieve the motor, but they look a bit small. Try some hpi dirtbonzes, they are slightly bigger in every dimension and even lighter than badlands. The size is not that much bigger, but the weight per wheel is like 215 vs 260g, which is a nice saving, especially as a decrease in the rotational mass ( http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91669&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

)

IMG_20130802_055016.jpg

IMG_20130802_055142.jpg

• Like 1

You dont have to dig a well anytime you are thirsty lol, that is why we share knowledge on the internet to prevent others from their own dead ends in projects :D It is just because I have the same goal with my truck- to make it as reliable as possible, so I sometimes share my ideas with you, although my savage-based project( the Lego Technic) has a different approach to some key structural aspects. 

There was a set of brand new dirtbonzes on half-offset dish wheels for sale a week or two ago, sorry I bought them for my truck :D

Ti-Ni shafts you have refers to the surface coating of them, they are not titanium, the only titanium is a layer of titanium nitrid on their surface a few 

Edited by Mr. Doktor

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have lost a bit of suspension travel with the new shocks, the ride height is lower than it used to be, isnt it? Could you take a photo with a stock savage shock on one side and a new lst one on the opposite side to see whether there is some difference between them? If there is, try mounting the shocks lower and closer to the center to regain some suspension travel  :thumbsup:

Otherwise Fantastic Truck! Just one thing is missing- you need sway bars! They wont make it handle like a truggy, but you will see a noticeable improvement in handling. I suggest fabbing your own from 3mm thick music wire or any kind of spring steel, because looking at the weight and hard shock springs you use, the stock sway bars might be too soft and actually ineffective ( stockers are 2mm for medium and 2,4 for firm stiffness).

Edited by Mr. Doktor

:( I'm not going al, haven't done anything with the kids yet so I'm taking them out somewhere before the summer hols evaporate !

Have a good one if you go :)

Dok I had away bars but they can't handle the insane air, I kept mangling them.

Ill move the shocks as you said to increase the travel :)

Ill see if I can grab a quick vid today/tomorrow :)

Just make sure to mount the shocks into such position so that they do not bottom before the truck does... I made this stupid mistake some time ago. I was fortunate to have rpm arms that were bendy enough to flex and save other parts from breaking...

Didnt know the sway bars are so weak. It just seemed strange to me that you have HPI suspension conversion kit for improved handling without sway bars.

How durable is the truck with all that weight? Can it handle big jumps and bad landings? Does it still have the savage toughness? :D

Cant wait to see a vid!

Not thought of that one before.

My all alloy/carbon LST2 spec Raminator uses Dynamite alloy shock towers, Losi hard anodised .... basically standard dimensions for all and the shocks 'bottom' before the truck - front only, rear only and all 4 (level).

I blast and jump a little, but don't 'go wild' but have never had a shock shaft problem.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm just saying the stock - albeit modified design - has the shocks bottoming before the skids hit.

Al.

It's pretty durable :lol: it only died last outing after clipping the camera tripod at high speed, ripped the rear arm off. It still jumps lovely and was soaking up the big air, I've just had a quick blast in the street and it seems to be unloading all its juice to the front left wheel, that's the only one ballooning.

I've moved the shock mounts lower and she's now sitting nice and high like a monster should.

Al just out of chance, have you got any of the raminator /lst side chassis rails ?? The plastic strips left and right ?

I've ordered some from USA but hate waiting, my lst2 spec 1717 beast needs rebuilding :D

Edited by Toxic Basher

They're next to me on my sofa mate!

Had a rummage - good fun.

They were removed when the Ram arrived - transformed to alloy LST2 spec before any plastic got any war wounds.

I use the alloy rails.

Al.

• Like 1

Al you legend, thanks a million for the side rails, you've helped me out and I owe you one :)

Anyway savvies running a 12t pinion, can't remember the spur size off the top of my head but its in here somewhere, it's around a 46/48,

It's been a lot of testing with the gearing and I think I'm just about happy with it.

No rpm arms yet lol maybe ill buy a set of black soon but the stock ones work fine and are quite tough, I've only broke 4/5 over the years and they cost peanuts of eBay USA :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...