• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to rc

Nick118

Hello everyone,

Been looking into getting myself an rc car, I think to start off with I'd like to do some drifting, only thing is I haven't really got a clue on what's best and where's best to look, just looking for some advice and people's opinions

This is a really cheap entry level drift car http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-strada-dc-evo-rtr-drift-car/rc-car-products/38128 after seeing one up close the only bad point is the pinion its like a mod 1 huge and heavy or other option to tt-01 is a tl-01 found this from a few years back search feature helps http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/63660-tl-01-drifting/

Another vote for the TT01 from me. It makes a great first drifter, and if you get tired of drifting, it also makes a great club-level racer or rally car. I have three of them now, one set up for drift, one for track and one for rally, and I am very happy with them.

just to add my 2 cents

i shall agree 100% with the above lol a TT-01 is prefect for a starter drifter, also if drifting isnt your thing just put some road tyres on and go for speeeeeeeeed :D

The Traxxas will be fine for strictly bashing but if you want a good handling car you should look into an SC10RS. It's a great beginner car and comes brushless out of the box and with a 2.4 radio. The SC10 may be a bit more fragile but it is the best handling short course truck without a doubt.
The 2wd Slash has a weird chassis design that has a high center of gravity. The car handles funky and jumps goofy.

Regards.
Andy.

The Traxxas will be fine for strictly bashing but if you want a good handling car you should look into an SC10RS. It's a great beginner car and comes brushless out of the box and with a 2.4 radio. The SC10 may be a bit more fragile but it is the best handling short course truck without a doubt.
The 2wd Slash has a weird chassis design that has a high center of gravity. The car handles funky and jumps goofy.

Regards.
Andy.

epic fail, wrong topic lol

I think Nick has his heart set on a drifter first though, Andy.

Edit: Just read above post, that makes more sense now :)

Edited by Zardoz

It all depends on how far and into you want to go.

There are two drive types to consider.

1. Shaft driven like the TT01

Good thing with these are is there is little maintenance and can run it on various surfaces without much risk of damage from debris. Downside is that depending on how much power, it can get a little jerky when applying throttle so depending on how serious you get, might be the difference between a good drift and a great drift. Not that much of a deal breaker when drifting.

2. Belt driven such as the HPI Sprint, Cyclone etc

When you start looking at a more serious chassis, this is what you will expect. You generally get a smoother throttle response and then have a wider option in changing the pulleys to adjust the power between your front and rear. It can still be done with a shaft driven chassis but from research, not found many parts for that side of it. Downside with belt driven, debris can get between the teeth and the belt and if left unnoticed, snaps the belt. Not expensive to replace but always a consideration.

When looking around, the TT01 usually comes out cheaper overall for what you get but if you do plan to delve deeper into drifting and get serious, I would recommend a belt driven chassis.

Get ready to Drop a **** load of Money mate

Welcome to the hobby 

Jack.

Well yeah, even the 'cheap' options add up once the bug get you :D

Maybe get a TT-01 for now see how you like it then you can always go for a more expensive belt driven chassis later and use the TT-01 for rallying etc.

just to add my 2 cents

i shall agree 100% with the above lol a TT-01 is prefect for a starter drifter, also if drifting isnt your thing just put some road tyres on and go for speeeeeeeeed :D

ohhh i knew your two cents would pop up some were lol...