• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Keeping my Slash cool

Hi, I'm looking to add a jconcepts overtray to my Slash 4x4. After reading some writeups on it, it looks like I need to add some form of cooling for the electrics. Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about this please?

Cheers - Andy

I got what Chris has suggested but found the motor still running hot with the bigger Lipo so I added a turnigy heatsink with fan too. Temps really good now, my telemetry doesn't show it getting half as hot as before.

Thanks for the advice guys, that Velineon accessory fan looks good, and easy to fit. I'm still running Nimh batteries. It looks like the overtray itself can be modified with  some vent holes and a second cooling fan running off a 9V battery after doing some research.

Talking of the overtray, I've also been searching the net and am having difficulty finding one for sale in the UK. Would anyone have any advice on how to track one down, or will I have to order from the US?

Fit the undertray instead, allows plenty of air flow and keeps most of the clart out. Alternatively, try an Outwears cover, which are breathable fabric. Coupled with a fan, should see you right.

Update: after a lot of persistence I have found a UK website that stocks the Jconcepts overtray, happy days! Time for some phone calls later in the week methinks. I considered the undertray Noj, but I watched a review of it on a Slash 4x4 and it just acted like a scoop, collecting a lot of debris inside the chassis. I've just ordered a 70mm cooling fan off the net and I may order the Velineon fan for the ESC later on, so I've started the ball rolling.

I plan to mount the 70mm directly under the louvers in the overtray, which I will cut holes in. I'm going to use a 9V PP3 for power and I will mount that in the overtray as well. I've seen a video of this setup and it seems to work well. I'll get back to you all on this once I have it sorted.