• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FG Beetle

goldman

Hi can any FG owners tell me if there is a way to remove the nut bottom right side of fan/flywheel cover,without loosening the engine mounting bolts to get enough clearence to get a socket on,its the FG Beetle 4wd,or is it a engine out job?

Cheers Goldman :030:

if your on about the one i think you are then yea just pop the engine out or could take the engine mount screws out of the bottom and the plate over the diff and gear and tilt the engine to get the socket on it just to save removing roll cage and linkages.

Hi yes you know the one i mean,dont know who thought that one up,but will do as you say,looks only way.

Is there anything you have to realign etc,when its put back inplace that you know of?

Goldman :030:

you will have to put the stop button back in the side and the lead for the plug but that is simple. and where it comes of at the bottom there are two little tabs that just need to go in the holes then just do all the screws back up. im taking it you want the fan housing off?

you will have to put the stop button back in the side and the lead for the plug but that is simple. and where it comes of at the bottom there are two little tabs that just need to go in the holes then just do all the screws back up. im taking it you want the fan housing off?

Its done,removed engine mounting screws,removed alloy rear engine brace,took gear cover off,split exhaust joint & took throttle servo horn off,then lifted engine so could get socket on,sorted.

no need to undo engine as long as nuts for holding case to small engine mount face outwards,can get socket in there.

Im sure i didnt take the engine out of mine either. Cant remember exactly how i did it but it was a pita!

All you need to do is take out engine mounting screws,ally brace at back & small gear cover at rear,then can just lift emgine up to get socket on,theres not enough room to get socket on when is bolted down because of the chassis having the edge that is bent up.

I took exhaust apart & throttle servo horn off,so they would not restrict lifting the engine,but may not have had to,just a lot to do for one nut,but it seems to be the only way,its all done now,so testing day tomorow.

In my opinion, If you're doing any servicing to an engine no matter what make of car it is, it's better to take it right out. The reason behind this is it will make inspecting the whole engine easier but you can also see the drive train better too.

That said, tips and tricks to do while you're out are always handy.

Hi yes thats a fair point,as said can get at & see a whole lot better,and its not hard to get out,i wouldnt think twice now,was a bit unsure just what i was getting into.