• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is my clutch ok? Now Driveshaft problem!

JimO

Taking the Marder apart as i still find it bogging down when going from half throttle to full throttle, Been playing with the screws this morning for a while and still can't get it correct. Am about to check the tightness of the head bolts and intake bolts etc. Never really had it apart properly since i've owned it.

Just took the clutch out and thought it looked a bit odd, but this is all new to me so could be normal?

8472674897_8df178cfe5_z.jpg
Untitled by AcePinJim, on Flickr

8473763752_0ef12c5627_z.jpg

8473762834_b3fcb6b696_z.jpg

Edited by JimO

• 3 weeks later...

Just changing the drive shaft boots and noticed the hub where shafts goes into the wheel etc. Its a bit rusty and the hub has cracked. Quite badly too. Am now wondering if this is causing the bogging down. Thinking the shaft must be locking up or spinning under acceleration.

Would that cause bogging down. Is fine if I lift wheels off the ground.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

No. Not tried the spring yet tbh.

Tried a pic of the part that broke. Not sure how this happened or when it happened.

20130304_182148.jpg

Better find a new one of them. Also noticed the other side hardly turns due to a seized bearing. More stuff to buy. Will get a clutch spring as well.

If you have one side of the drive stuck due to a siezed bearing, all the power would go through the other side....and that may have stressed the drive cup.

The bad news is, those are not stock axles, but are ball-drive ones. Going to cost a bit more than standard ones would....

Shouldn't cause the motor to bog, but it would dull the performance a fair bit! Fixing that may make the thing behave better, because...to be honest...I haven't run a car with a busted drive on one side and a siezed drive on the other....That needs fixing whatever you do. A worn out clutch spring would allow the shoes to bite too early, which can cause the motor to bog down as it's just not making power when the drive engages. A spring is cheap...so swap that anyway.

Great. Cheers for that. Nice and cheap lol.

Car was being weird. If you held throttle halfway it would be fine and gradually pick up speed and belt around. But all of a sudden it would just bog down. Revs would struggle to increase and made a weird noise which I can't find the right word to describe apart from a bogging sort of noise.

Well thought i'd found a bargain but may of bought the wrong thing

ordered two of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FG-BAJA-MARDER-MONSTER-TRUCK-DRIVE-EXTENDED-WHEEL-CUPS-SHAFTS-/221196152293?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D6188860901569133212%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D221196152293%26

They came in pack and are brand new, but not sure they are FG parts.

They fit on the car all ok, but won't turn properly, they lock up in certain directions :(