• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New 3 chamber tuned exhaust tuning?

Scotty Rex X

hi there,

bought myself a 3 chamber tuned exhaust for my rex x on a .21 engine.

put the exhaust on and took it on a run and it was so down on power and really boggy, so i put the old exhaust on problem solved.

how would i go about tuning the engine to the exhaust and is this a good idea otherwise il send it back.

will the engine temp increase what do i need to consider worry about ??

cheers

Alex

The tuned pipe works by maximising the amount of exhaust gasses (containing unburnt fuel - a 2 stroke nitro engine isn't very efficient) that are forced back into the cylinder. That unburnt fuel that is normally wasted flying out of the exhaust goes back into the combustion chamber with the new fresh fuel coming in from the carb. So all of a sudden you have more fuel in the combustion chamber than before, so your engine is running a bit richer.

If you've changed to a tuned pipe best bet is to reset your carb to factory settings (expecting it to be even richer than they would normally be), and lean/tune from there.

Edit: that is reset both HSN and LSN to factory and lean from there.

Edited by Rich8