• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BEST NITRO TRUGGY ?

Marco5588

After just seeing my brothers Sworkz s350 in action i really want a nitro car! But wanted a Truggy that was good on-road and off road... Also reliability is a must, i know these cars are a pain but wanted one with the least 'known issues'

Here are the truggys im currently looking at:

HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/101705.html

Hyper ST 28 Truggy

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/HBM7-ST.html

Losi 8ight T 2.0 competition Truggy

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/LOSB0085.html

HAVE I MISSED ANY POTENTIAL CANDIDATES???

I have been told the Losi 8iegt is the one to go for.... However it is the most expensive so wanted to know if its the BEST!!!!!

Hpi trophy truggy shares majority of parts with the trophy buggy and it's got the savage engine which is easy to tune and has plenty of power. Looks awesome and is pretty sturdy too.

Hyper st is about the toughest on the market, shares a few hyper 7 parts too. Downside id it Has the machstar 28 engine which is known for air leaks and to be a pain to tune though.

Not had any dealings with the losi, but only heard good things about it tbh

• Like 1

Hpi trophy truggy shares majority of parts with the trophy buggy and it's got the savage engine which is easy to tune and has plenty of power. Looks awesome and is pretty sturdy too.

Hyper st is about the toughest on the market, shares a few hyper 7 parts too. Downside id it Has the machstar 28 engine which is known for air leaks and to be a pain to tune though.

Not had any dealings with the losi, but only heard good things about it tbh

Im inclining to the Losi more... but cant seem to figure out why its MORE EXPENSIVE.... Are the Losi make known to be more expensive overall??

I Love the Hyper but have also read somewhere about the air leaks so wanted to stay away!

Is the Savage engine better (durable / powerful) than the one on the Losi truggy?

Thanks everyone!!!!

Im inclining to the Losi more... but cant seem to figure out why its MORE EXPENSIVE.... Are the Losi make known to be more expensive overall??

I Love the Hyper but have also read somewhere about the air leaks so wanted to stay away!

Is the Savage engine better (durable / powerful) than the one on the Losi truggy?

Thanks everyone!!!!

Your forgetting it comes with a spectrum dx3, a

Edited by Barrylongdong
  • Like 1

You can also consider hong nor either x1 or x2. Good bashers and strong. Parts are easy to find as well. You can get rtr version or pro version as a roller. If you dont mind used ones have a look on ebay theres always one going for not a lot of money.

GOOD POINT!!! No one pointed that out! When you put it in that perspective its the 'cheapest out the bunch'....

DO you think it has an edge over the rest? As in performance / reliability?

Personally I prefer the trophy truggy, just looks better in my opinion, but it's your money so your choice - pick your poison.

Plus I don't like starter boxes, right pain in the arse to carry about, pull starts for me :)

Edited by Barrylongdong

If you can stretch to the losi go for it you don't want the hyper st I'm surprised they still sell them dated yet proven design not really worth having unless they update them then there's the trophy truggy more looks than performance but its hpi so you get a good warranty that's about the only good point I'd make about it and the losi is more of a racer than a basher but if its all out bashing you want to do I'd recommend the hong nor tough and cheap just depends on how easy you can get parts for the one you want and how much you want to spend

• Like 1

Personally I prefer the trophy truggy, just looks better in my opinion, but it's your money so your choice - pick your poison.

Plus I don't like starter boxes, right pain in the arse to carry about, pull starts for me :)

I know what your saying about the looks on the trophy... Looks great had one in my hand today. Does anyone know if you can put a pull start on the losi??

If you can stretch to the losi go for it you don't want the hyper st I'm surprised they still sell them dated yet proven design not really worth having unless they update them then there's the trophy truggy more looks than performance but its hpi so you get a good warranty that's about the only good point I'd make about it and the losi is more of a racer than a basher but if its all out bashing you want to do I'd recommend the hong nor tough and cheap just depends on how easy you can get parts for the one you want and how much you want to spend

I want something that will work good on the track!!! I think the Losi is the one to get! Do you know if you can switch it to a pull start?

I'm with fatboy, starter box all the way. If you convert to a pull start, you wouldn't be able to use the box, as you normall have to raise the engine height to do it.

Oh, and get the Losi. I've got a hyper ST pro (no macstar 28 thank god) and although it's mighty tough, there's a few things I really like about the Losi.

1. The radio Gear. 2. The threaded shocks are much better than the ones with clips 3. the Servo's in the losi are better 4. the radio box in the hyper is pathetic, one of the most annoying designs I've ever come across. 5. The starter box. and 6. probably most importantly, the Losi engine is really good, and well, the hyper one isn't

All that said, the Hyper is really good, and spares would be cheaper than on the Losi, but I think for the price and spec, the Losi is a great deal

• Like 1

You could convert the losi to a pull start but why would you starter box is by far the best starting method

I'm with fatboy, starter box all the way. If you convert to a pull start, you wouldn't be able to use the box, as you normall have to raise the engine height to do it.

Oh, and get the Losi. I've got a hyper ST pro (no macstar 28 thank god) and although it's mighty tough, there's a few things I really like about the Losi.

1. The radio Gear. 2. The threaded shocks are much better than the ones with clips 3. the Servo's in the losi are better 4. the radio box in the hyper is pathetic, one of the most annoying designs I've ever come across. 5. The starter box. and 6. probably most importantly, the Losi engine is really good, and well, the hyper one isn't

All that said, the Hyper is really good, and spares would be cheaper than on the Losi, but I think for the price and spec, the Losi is a great deal

Thanks guys, really productive feedback!!!

The only reason i asked about converting to a pull start is that with the VERY,VERY little experience with Nitro cars they seem to stall quite alot! And having to go get the car and bring back to the starter box seems to be alot a pain... Could this have been because the car wasn't tuned properly or i was acceleration wrong?

For Bashing.... Hong Nor.

For Racing .... none of the above

For a bit of both .... Losi

There is no reason why a pulstart motor could not be fitted to the Losi...and with the right flywheel, used with the starter box as well. The issue would really be the cost, as it may involve buying a completely different engine. It might be possible to fit a pullstart backplate to the Losi engine...but it's dead weight on the track.

It really depends what you plan on doing with the truck.

A properly tuned nitro motor shouldn't stall. Once it's running....it should stay running until you either stop it or it runs out of fuel.

• Like 3

For Bashing.... Hong Nor.

For Racing .... none of the above

For a bit of both .... Losi

There is no reason why a pulstart motor could not be fitted to the Losi...and with the right flywheel, used with the starter box as well. The issue would really be the cost, as it may involve buying a completely different engine. It might be possible to fit a pullstart backplate to the Losi engine...but it's dead weight on the track.

It really depends what you plan on doing with the truck.

A properly tuned nitro motor shouldn't stall. Once it's running....it should stay running until you either stop it or it runs out of fuel.

That sounds bonkers.... I don't even really know how servos work let alone anything else!!! :whistling: hahaha

Looks like the Losi is the winner!!! JUST NEED to order it!!!

Can anyone suggest parts/upgrades best to buy? or parts that are definitely gonna break and worth having spare for?

Yeah that's the my only gripe about losi's in general there imperial so get yourself a metric screw set and should be good and yeah if you want to race I'd say the team c t8t but as I've found it's a tad expensive for just a kit but then all the good cars are expensive cant wait to get my t8t running