• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bringing my 12 Year Old FG Modellsport out of retirement

The Gimp

Genuine K&N filters are one thing....usually what people get are cheapo paper filters which fall apart.

I don't like K&Ns personally. Used to run them on bikes a lot as they were 'the thing to have'. Didn;t like them as I found they clog with fine dust when oiled, don't work in the damp if not oiled, and generally didn't give predictble results.

I have stuck with stock HPI filters plus Outerwear on all my largescale cars, as I have found it to work well. I judge the filtering by how clean the inner oiled section is when I wash it out.

But...as mentioned above...for onroad use, the conditions are far less harsh, and the improved airflow will help the motor breath. I'd still want to fit a new one though :)

• Like 1

The track is too small though, thats why they're not using it as a national venue.

Yeah I know but there's not much else for miles around so if he's close then its probably his best bet to get some running.

• Like 1

Hi Chap,

I'm in Sunbury (Junction One of the M3) .

Shame no local (ish) tracks around me allow for Petrol/Nitro as that would give me at least some track time and a ladder to start climbing up on set up.

I was on my way to Crystal Palace once in (I think) 2001 but on my way back to my girlfriends house to collect some tools I had a car accident so couldn't go.

** NEXT INSTALLMENT OF QUESTIONS **

1. Can I use normal 97 / High Octane Fuel when my car was made it was used with 4 Stroke.

2. If I was to go to a track but not a member , do any tracks allow pre-booking or pay on the day for testing ? Included week days if I am off work.

3. At Race days , do you HAVE to have another person with you as your mechanic / Marshall /Assistant or can you go to a meeting on your own and some kind soul will aid you in the pit or Marshall?

4 . Back to Fuel, do you have to keep you fuel on a particular fuel can (metal etc.) or is a clear can ok.

5. Track time, now I have never raced on a track before. Do you get a free practice time on the day or have to prove to the judges (can't think of the correct term d'oh!! ) you are track worthy to take part etc.

6 . Tyre width , is there a limit to width of tyre permitting you for example cannot exceed to bodyshell etc. My car being a SWB was purchased as 911 GT2 but have switched to a 996 GTR shell. I have the rears from the GT2 so are I think 77mm or will I need to use the 65mm tyres/wheels fitted as the original model of the car?

I've got a set of second hand shocks on order. I plan to strip them and rebuild with fresh oil etc. What do the colour of the springs stand for? I'm guessing from Soft to Hard etc.?

I'll have a few more to ask at some point if that

Edited by The Gimp

1, Show me the engine

2, That's down to the club - check with Crystal palace

3, No, you do it yourself unless you have another person who will help you - they need to be a BRCA member too.

4, A normal red/green 5ltr can is fine

5, See No.2

6, Ignor all tyre advice other than using the current GRP/PMT touring car tyres available from all good stockists.

• Like 1

1, Show me the engine

2, That's down to the club - check with Crystal palace

3, No, you do it yourself unless you have another person who will help you - they need to be a BRCA member too.

4, A normal red/green 5ltr can is fine

5, See No.2

6, Ignor all tyre advice other than using the current GRP/PMT touring car tyres available from all good stockists.

Thanks again Mike.

I need to go back round my Mums to get a snap of the car so will do in the next few days.

From Memory is a Zenoah 23cc . I'll look on the side of the cover and engine code too.

Got a friend of mine who is going to be signing up for BRCA this year to go in the 1/5th scale bikes. Will most like drag him (kidding and screaming) with me.

It's a shame on the tyre fron as I have brand new sets sat in boxes kept in warm storage that can be used but has been said before the tyres compunds have changed loads in 10 years.

Regards

Steve

Steve, I'm not saying don't use your old tyres, far from it. Just thnik on that they're old rubber now and old rubber won't work anywhere near as good as new stuff, couple that with using an old eco touring car that may not be the best set up car in the world.

Give it a go and have fun.

If I can be of any more help then just ask.

Mike,

Again sir you are a star. Thank you.

Got some wheels and tyres on there way to me from hobbytek to get used to .

I think round my mums I have various compounds of 10 , 20, 30 , 40 , 60. ( I am not 100% however )

All tyres are pmt slicks , wets, kronos etc. Some of them have never been removed from the packaging.

I've got approx 11 full sets with only 2 used for bashing .

Diffuser mocking done. Just waiting to get a sheet of ally.

Can you use headlights on the cars when on track?

Ah, thanks Mike never realised a weight limit existed? Will think this through in more depth.

Does that weight count with or without fuel?

I need to get a few bits.

Fuel filter. I'm s right that non aid electronic pumps allowed? The factory tank seated pump I have needed replacing as it looks old and to be honest it should from being sat in the tank all this time.

Can I replace it with a standard external filter like a mocal micro filter or one off of eBay or replace with standard? If so anyone know the OEM part number for the filter?

Fuel lines etc. Can I just use some from a auto factors?

The rubber fuel line seal has perished on one corner. Does anyone know if I can obtain that part number.

Also, in terms of gearing covers. Does a marder off road one fit? Wasn't sure on gear size if it would be compatible?

I was going to head to a shop I used to use over near wokingham / knapfield for fg parts but not sure they are around anymore so all being done online.

Steve

Hobbythek/rc-car-online will have all the part numbers you'll need or you could email photos of your car to FG direct and ask for advice/part numbers, they're very approachable.

Replace the clunk (in tank filter) with a genuine one if possible - it does matter.

Don't fit a gear cover - utter waste of time.

Gear ratios look at the down loads bit os www.oddified.com and that will help you out.

Try Freeprawn racing for spares, he's stocking a lot more FG parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a little update.

A little behind after my real car has had a few problems. Not the best idea I've had running a 500bhp subaru as an everyday runner for the past 7 years. Things break. D'oh.

Anyway.

Diffuser mocked up and getting a ally one made up.

Found x2 failsafes unused still boxed.

Found x4 more sets of tyres and wheels giving me a total of 11 sets.

Found old air box with foam filter.

Found x2 new brake pads

Just need to sort radio gear out to a 2.4 system, tune the zenoah 230 and get my hands on some new fuel lines etc and filter.

Shocks still not arrived so giving him another day or two before reporting to eBay.

Getting there then ready for some testing at a local car park to adjust accordingly before going to a track.

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while since I've touched the fg.

I've been out playing with my Schumacher big 6's and drift cars of late.

I've finally got a set of shocks arrived. Now need to get hold of a fuel filter , New rx batteries (any suggestions?) , killer switch for ch3 and make the diffuser from ally .

Getting there slowly. A lot slower than I hoped.

Well its been a while since I've touched the fg.

I've been out playing with my Schumacher big 6's and drift cars of late.

I've finally got a set of shocks arrived. Now need to get hold of a fuel filter , New rx batteries (any suggestions?) , killer switch for ch3 and make the diffuser from ally .

Getting there slowly. A lot slower than I hoped.

Have you ever thought about coming to brookland to race? There are a few new comers this year so it might suit you? We welcome any car and can help out with setup etc

Just a thought!

P.s. we have a race tommorow If you want to watch, ask questions etc

Here's the club and track site

http://www.brooklandlargescale.co.uk/

http://www.brooklandraceways.com/

Edited by JayAVFC

Hi matey,

I'm do plan to head over to watch at first to get an idea of it.

I've never raced before and guess it would be nothing like the bashing meet ups I have.lol

Thanks again, great words of encouragement with assistance in set up etc.

• 7 months later...

HI All,

I'm back.   Been mega busy with work since mid March so no time to play with the FG.  

I've now finally got some weekends free to sort out this Antique.

Questions to follow soon...........

Regards

Steve