• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bringing my 12 Year Old FG Modellsport out of retirement

The Gimp

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of doing something I should have done 11/12 years ago with my FG Modellsport (Porsche) and use it on track .

But where? Why other than the noise and smell of a FG car is the 1/5th scale on road so out of date now?

It's been sat still for 10 years so plan over the next couple of months in making sure it runs correctly , replace discs ,pads , plug ,fuel line , fuel filter , clean K&N Filter and replace to a 2.4 TX system.

It was purchased as an ECO Line (I think) but added front brakes , filter etc.

Fuel wise, it used to be used on 4 Stroke. I started it the other month as mention for the first time in 10 years and used some Tesco 99 and oil to get it started. Whats folks using now? Would it be wise to increase the fuel mixture to run richer ?

Can someone advise me on tyres that can be used for On-Road race here in the UK.

I have gone through my spares that were purchased around 10 years ago when I last touched my FG Modellsport car and found I have around 8 full sets of tyres in various treads and compounds.

However looking on B.R.C.A 2012 rules and a little unsure where I stand in terms of if I can use these if I choose to go racing next year?

Only 2 sets are used but the rest are brand new and have been keep in dry storage.

For the Exhaust , do I need to change it to fit in with regs? It's the same one if left the FG Factory as an ECO spec car.

I cannot justify spending s heap load of money on New sets if these fall outside the regulations?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

First thing is get a new airfilter thats not k&n style.

They have destroyed many engines because they dont filter as much as they should.

Probely best to find a 1/5 scale on road racing forum.

Edited by (-:AD:-)

The car will fit within the BRCA rules for the GTS class if it has a working brake and regulation bumper, no problem but to be honest, considering the age of the car/engine & tyres, you're very unlikely to set any lap records - the tyres will be less than useable.

Here are the race dates

R1 Brooklands April 13/14th

R2 Halifax May 18/19th

R3 Brooklands June 8/9th

R4 Wombwell July 6/7th

R5 Mendip August 31st/September 1st

R6 Wombwell October 5/6th

Should you want to go racing an fancy a change of car then the BRCA Large scale off road section is booming right now with 60+ drivers at every meeting.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more info.

Mike

BRCA LSOR Pro + EFRA Rep

Thank you for the helpful assistance and advise guys.

I think I still have the standard air box for the car? Will need to double check.

I'm not looking at setting any lap records in truth. Just seems a waste to leave the car sat in the garage and only got the odd roll out at a local car park.

Here's the car with Porsche 993 GT2 Shells ( Silver was my copy of the Rook Racing car raced in the FIA GT Championship back in 1998 ) .

Not great pictures as these were taken on a old phone back in 2001/2002.

Whiteporsche.jpg

Porschesilver.jpg

And in current (and what it was left to look like since 2002 sat in my Mums garage) bodyshell format with a 996 GT3-R .

IMAG0772.jpg

• Like 1

The car will fit within the BRCA rules for the GTS class if it has a working brake and regulation bumper, no problem but to be honest, considering the age of the car/engine & tyres, you're very unlikely to set any lap records - the tyres will be less than useable.

Here are the race dates

R1 Brooklands April 13/14th

R2 Halifax May 18/19th

R3 Brooklands June 8/9th

R4 Wombwell July 6/7th

R5 Mendip August 31st/September 1st

R6 Wombwell October 5/6th

Should you want to go racing an fancy a change of car then the BRCA Large scale off road section is booming right now with 60+ drivers at every meeting.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more info.

Mike

BRCA LSOR Pro + EFRA Rep

Hi Mike,

So I would fit in GTS Open? Yes I have cable front brakes and a foam bumper I fitted back in 2001.

Can I just turn up on the day as long as I have a BRCA 2013 license?

Looking at off road next year. Getting back into the Hobby has been a shock as to how much things have moved on in 10 years. lol

Regards

Steve

Edited by The Gimp

Yes so long as you have a valid licence you can take part in the championship.

The thing is, If you raced your car you wouldn't be anywhere near competitive. whereas if you you sold it and got a sportsline 4wd FG off road, you would be a damn site closer and enjoy your racing much more because you wouldn't be getting out of the way every lap.

And yes, things have moved on a massive amount.

• Like 1

Mike, I'd rather get a year or so under my belt of getting used to the car again before attempting an attack on a championship etc. lol

Thanks again for the reply.

Ordering my 2.4 system this week and some new fuel lines and filter etc. Fingers crossed.

Mike, one question I do have and forgive me if I sound a tad bit of an idiot.

Can you run diffusers on these cars?

I have made a prototype one for my Schumacher Big 6 and they seems to work pretty well (but mostly for looks than anything else).

I planned to use a poly sheet or thin ally sheet to make one for the FG car?

Also I read somewhere that drilled holes are aloud as long as they go with the real life model itself? For example on the Porsche 911 GT2 shell I have drilled out 2 holes on the rear wing assembly and into the shell and t-eed it off to go on the air filter and engine itself . This co-insides with Porsche GT2 where it had the Turbo intakes.

Is this OK?

Mike's the man to ask fella about racing, whats a 12 year old fg eco like? does it have the the front monoshock?, i'm trying to build mine at the moment from an FG sportsline comp chassis, brandnew etc but some parts are not available anymore!

Mike's the man to ask fella about racing, whats a 12 year old fg eco like? does it have the the front monoshock?, i'm trying to build mine at the moment from an FG sportsline comp chassis, brandnew etc but some parts are not available anymore!

Hello chap. Great stuff. He'll get sick of my questions soon. lol

Mine is a 1998/1999 ECO Line version so has the independent shocks. They from memory (haven't looked at the car for two weeks following getting out of the dusty garage in 10 years) are not even oil filled or if they are the reservoir is very small.

It's basic as basic comes but at the time of use gave me many happy hours of enjoyment,

I know what you mean about struggling to find parts for old models. Having a nightmare getting some bits for me old Schumacher 6 EP.

Edited by The Gimp

I don't recall any rules saying you can't use a diffuser - but on a car as old as yours and tyres that you're using, it would be as much use as tits on fish.

Lets face it, you've got a car with friction shocks and more flex than a dodgy gym advertisement - try it but I think that when the other

I don't recall any rules saying you can't use a diffuser - but on a car as old as yours and tyres that you're using, it would be as much use as tits on fish.

Lets face it, you've got a car with friction shocks and more flex than a dodgy gym advertisement - try it but I think that when the other

• Like 1

tbf i would love to see it running around a track, it may not be the quickest but i bet it puts a big smile on your face

My point. I thought this hobby was all about it being fun?

Take Jammy Saville for example........hang on maybe not.

Lets take HRT Race team. Utter cak yet they turned up and gave it 110% .

Thanks Mike for the vote of confidence. Lol

In honesty I know looking at the 1/5th on road touring/GT I'm well out of my depth.

But I'll give it a go.

One thing I need to get is some new alloy shocks h springs.

Does anyone know of where I can get some to fit the old girl? Guessing something like a 42wt would be good fluid?

First thing is get a new airfilter thats not k&n style.

They have destroyed many engines because they dont filter as much as they should.

Probely best to find a 1/5 scale on road racing forum.

K&N filters are fine for on road use. They are just no good at filtering fine dust etc so no good off road...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Where are you located? At Adur in West sussex the 5th scales turned up a few meets ago for a race. They seemed to like it.

The track is too small though, thats why they're not using it as a national venue.

K&N filters are fine for on road use. They are just no good at filtering fine dust etc so no good off road...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

People always seem to slag off the K&N filters but if they're used correctly with a quality well oiled pre filter and a baggie over them, they're fine for on or off road. The only reason I don't use one now is because the standard FG filter is very good and it comes with the car.