• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

homemade transmitter

oodboo

Hi,

I'm hoping to pick your immense collective brains for a long term build project I'm planning.

Anyone know if it's possible to make your own transmitter? Either that or does anyone make a nice big chunky one that uses a single joystick?

Thanks

That looks like it might be a good starting point. I kind of hoped I could build something like this:

AtariJoystick.JPG

I want to build a slow moving car for my disable son to use and I was also hoping that the practice with the car will help with his hand control for when he eventually gets an electric wheel chair.

use a 4ch radio and just rewire the stick then remove the other stick iirc there are some artf gliders that use controllers like above

i was toying with with taking a dx3s and fit the electronics in in a stick radio (spectrum dx6i (air) uses a different protocol to the surface radios) as i have 10-12 spectrum rx's and like stick radios

ps. some stick radios you can remove the stick its self (unscrews) and you could put a larger stick on it

edit, joysticks like above either use micro swithes or membrane switches where as Rc controls use a pot (potentiometers)

Edited by flash22

Yeah I realise the joysticks are micro switched. I'm thinking that single stick transmitter might work boxed in (to cover the tuning things) with some sort of rubber stick extension.

Thanks, just need to figure out a good slow car, preferably truck next.

Edited by oodboo

You can make almost all electric rc cars slow just fit it with a 33-55t motor you can also alter the gearing to slow it down

IMHO look at tamiya kits nice and simple to build and repair and there good at low speeds, have a look at a mad bull, big chunky tires and a wide stance so very stable

Edit. Just a thought you could just use a normal radio and and wire a socket on the side for a remote 4 way stick

Edited by flash22

I was wondering about slowing down a standard model but concerned there wouldn't be enough torque and it would get stuck all the time. Do slower motors have plenty torque or would gearing it down be a better option? I plan to use this off road so if its going to be slow I was thinking 4wd might be better so something like the dualhunter or 2wd would be ok then a lunchbox would be cool as I've just got one of them so he could have a car like his dads.

This is going to be easier than I thought. Just spotted a tamiya vw bus, found a 60t motor and there's that single stick controller listed above which I've just found on eBay. It's 35mhz though, would there be a problem using this for a car?

This might be of some interest but it's all double dutch to me :P

http://www.rc-cam.co...tive-rc-control

Someone here also was looking for something with similar circumstances -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5vCSzFpZvvYJ:rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t597635p1/+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Sorry it's a cache version, the site is down so you have to look at what google saw from a while ago.

Hope this is of some help :)

Edited by thrilling speed1

Thanks for the links, all looks very complicated. I've ordered a single stick radio off eBay and I'm going to work on moding that a bit with an extended stick and a cover over the tuning controls.

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/content.php?249-PROJECT-CAPSTICK-JOYSTICK-TRANSMITTER

I think this will be 100% perfect for what you want to do- basically taking a cheapo radio, then replacing the original stick with a power wheelchair style stick, and enclosing it in a custom box. Only requires very basic soldering on the wires and will feel a lot better than an extended stick will I would imagine.

• Like 1

That looks spot on but could take me a while to source the parts. Going to mod the single stick to start with and see if I can build one of these. I work in a school for disabled kids and I'd like to be able to take it in there and let the kids there have a play as well so hopefully I can put something together that looks pretty professional.

That looks spot on but could take me a while to source the parts. Going to mod the single stick to start with and see if I can build one of these. I work in a school for disabled kids and I'd like to be able to take it in there and let the kids there have a play as well so hopefully I can put something together that looks pretty professional.

And robust, no doubt :D

Parts aren't too hard to find as it happens really, and cheap enough too:

http://www.servocity.com/html/joystick_modules.html simple 2 axis joystick module is all you need really, just choose the style of stick. You could house the parts in a project enclosure / box ( different sizes listed under specifications, or hit up ebay- saves building a box really ): http://www.maplin.co.uk/project-boxes-265960 Just gut the controller, then drill/cut holes in the enclosure to mount the switches & joystick, and shove everything inside more or less. Give the box some velcro straps on the underside and you can mount it to any wheel chair with arms as a teaching ( driving? ) aid etc.

Good luck with it & let us know how it goes.

We have a disabled member at my flying club who has severly restricted movement, he modified a jr pcm9x to fit his hands. He's one of the best f3c pilots I've ever seen.

He has 3 channels on one stick (aileron, elevator, and rudder on a twist) and throttle on a seperate stick.

If your not good with electronics can I suggest you contact your local radio ham group. This sounds like the sort of challenge they would love to work on. Take a look on the rsgb website for your group. ( a bit geeky but they know there stuff when it comes to radio gear of any sort)

Edited by Joe Bailey

I'll add a few updates on here as to how this is going but it's mainly going to be documented on a blog I've just started:

http://accessrc.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/in-the-beginning/

So far I've ordered a few bit off ebay to start making controllers but there's not going to be a huge amount of progress until I get my hands on a car. I'm keeping my Lunchbox for me to use.

ive had many of the zip sticks on your blog even the limited edition clear one theres quite a bit of room but them stick modules may be a squeeze

Edited by flash22

It's certainly interesting,

The hardest part is going to be adapting the pots in the tx to fit in the controller of your choice. One there in and centered the rest is just extending cable to reach the unit.

Once you open up a tx you will be amazed at how simple they are.

Joe

Does he have full motion in 1 arm?

Reason i ask is, i only have the use of 1 arm and can use certain steering wheel type transmitters.

Depending on what i'm driving and how delicate i need to be with the controls i throttle with my index finger and steer with my thumb, or i throttle with my middle finger and steer with both my index finger and thumb.

I've faffed about with single stick controllers, but find it extremely difficult to retain fine control of the throttle while steering.

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

Some Tx's like the DX3 are a bit of a stretch, others with the wheel further out i am unable to drive with.

But the Hitec CRX is a old controller now, so i've managed to buy up several used ones, they also have a removable Tx on the rear so i've upgraded the all to 2.4 as well.

Only down side is no mixing, so i still need to find another solution for my rock crawler to run 2 esc's.