• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC Rally Car

daaaaaniiel

i got a couple of mint fwd tamiyas (celica m03l/ff02 and astra v8 ffo1) with full electrics or a brand new built but unused tamiya tl01 subaru with standard electrics????

You got any pics mate and what sort of prices we talking?

What Chassis are you looking to get mate?

Tbh I'm new to all this, I found my bros old broken 306 a few days back and been looking around since so don't really know what chassis there are and what the differences are

You got any pics mate and what sort of prices we talking?

Tbh I'm new to all this, I found my bros old broken 306 a few days back and been looking around since so don't really know what chassis there are and what the differences are

What i would do first mate is have a look at that forum link i have sent. The Chassis is a hit or miss. I have a Tamiya TT01 because its an ok Chassis to work on. decent space and parts are sooo easy to get.

• Like 1

Your brothers old 306 is probably an FF02, basically an M03 Mini chassis with a spacer and wider arms and dogbones. In itself it's a cracking FWD chassis for Tarmac rallies, but you really need 4WD for rougher stuff.

There are a few chassis explained in the rally section, any questions, give me a PM as I've owned virtually all of them.

Tony

• Like 1

What i would do first mate is have a look at that forum link i have sent. The Chassis is a hit or miss. I have a Tamiya TT01 because its an ok Chassis to work on. decent space and parts are sooo easy to get.

Ok thanks mate :)

Your brothers old 306 is probably an FF02, basically an M03 Mini chassis with a spacer and wider arms and dogbones. In itself it's a cracking FWD chassis for Tarmac rallies, but you really need 4WD for rougher stuff.

There are a few chassis explained in the rally section, any questions, give me a PM as I've owned virtually all of them.

Tony

Yeah I just looked at the box and it is an FF02 :) and ok thanks , appreciated all the advise given from you both!

Out of curiosity, are you going to fix up the 306? Personally, it's one of the best looking shells Tamiya have ever done, I loved mine, the cat pushed it off my display shelf then a Clodbuster monster truck on top of it, a good shell is really hard to find.

That chassis is really good as well, chassis and gear parts look for M03, suspension arms, look for TL01, the hubs are M03 too.

Out of curiosity, are you going to fix up the 306? Personally, it's one of the best looking shells Tamiya have ever done, I loved mine, the cat pushed it off my display shelf then a Clodbuster monster truck on top of it, a good shell is really hard to find.

That chassis is really good as well, chassis and gear parts look for M03, suspension arms, look for TL01, the hubs are M03 too.

Where abouts are you? I'm near Peterborough.

i would like to because then it would save me money but i dont exactly know what the fault is to do with, basically when the battery is plugged in and the car is turned on it auto accelerates with no control from the transmitter, any ideas? and im from Cardiff :)

Is it an electronic speed controller or an old MSC (2 servo's and a brass swivelling bit on top)

Unplug the motor wires before you switch it all on.

First off, check the batteries in your transmitter, and look at the crystals in it and the receiver to make sure that they are there and they both match. It will either be on a small rectangular plug, usually coloured with a number or white with a frequency on it, or a little silver plug with a tag on it. The tags should be the same number, one will say T or TX on it ( transmitter) and the other R or RX (receiver). These must be the right way around or it won't work.

Then switch on the TX, plug the battery into the car and switch on the power on the car.

You should now be able to check the steering works, and you can centre it by adjusting the trim on your handset, either a slide next to the stick, or a small twist dial with ST Trim somewhere on it. If it doesn't give you enough scope to adjust it you may have to remove the servo and move the servo arm.

This works the same if you have an MSC, adjust the other trim to centre the point of the MSC on it's plate.

If you have an electronic speed controller, you'll have to reset it according to it's original instructions, you'll be able to download them, just type in the name of the ESC and pdf and read away.

Any problems, just PM me and I'll try to help.

Tony

Is it an electronic speed controller or an old MSC (2 servo's and a brass swivelling bit on top)

Unplug the motor wires before you switch it all on.

First off, check the batteries in your transmitter, and look at the crystals in it and the receiver to make sure that they are there and they both match. It will either be on a small rectangular plug, usually coloured with a number or white with a frequency on it, or a little silver plug with a tag on it. The tags should be the same number, one will say T or TX on it ( transmitter) and the other R or RX (receiver). These must be the right way around or it won't work.

Then switch on the TX, plug the battery into the car and switch on the power on the car.

You should now be able to check the steering works, and you can centre it by adjusting the trim on your handset, either a slide next to the stick, or a small twist dial with ST Trim somewhere on it. If it doesn't give you enough scope to adjust it you may have to remove the servo and move the servo arm.

This works the same if you have an MSC, adjust the other trim to centre the point of the MSC on it's plate.

If you have an electronic speed controller, you'll have to reset it according to it's original instructions, you'll be able to download them, just type in the name of the ESC and pdf and read away.

Any problems, just PM me and I'll try to help.

Tony

its the old style with 2 servo's, and ive also just checked the crystals they are both correct and on the right one. i'll have to find or buy a charger before i do anything else as the car battery is most likely completely dead now

You probably need a new battery too. You're better off picking up an ESC for it, the batteries last longer and you can control re car better.

Bearing sets, replaces the white nylon bushes for less friction

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=M03&filter_description=true&product_id=211

A good ESC, Lipo ready if you ever upgrade your batteries from Nimh to Lipo. Plus you can remove the MSC and the servo for it.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/modelsport-uk-sniper-rv-12-assault/rc-car-products/37403

A good battery

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-battery-pack-7.2v-4000mah-nimh-tamiya-plug-/rc-car-products/370973

A decent charger, you'll need a laptop power supply for it.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-xmove-2.0-deluxe/rc-car-products/38402

You probably need a new battery too. You're better off picking up an ESC for it, the batteries last longer and you can control re car better.

Bearing sets, replaces the white nylon bushes for less friction

http://www.rcbearing...&product_id=211

A good ESC, Lipo ready if you ever upgrade your batteries from Nimh to Lipo. Plus you can remove the MSC and the servo for it.

http://www.modelspor...-products/37403

A good battery

http://www.modelspor...products/370973

A decent charger, you'll need a laptop power supply for it.

http://www.modelspor...-products/38402

according to the manual for the transmitter/reciever it came with the 2 servos and also an ESC? which are all connected up. my current battery is a 7.2v 1600mAh Nicd battery, have you got any suggestions for a cheap but reliable charger for that for the time being until more moniey becomes available

Look on the car, does it have a Tamiya TEU101BK or TEU104BK ESC fitted? If it does then you won't need the second servo on the chassis.

If so, you are sorted there. The old battery was normal hobby grade about 10-15 years ago, and is probably well past it's best. The charger I tagged will do it just fine, the little cheap chargers you can get are too slow The bigger capacity battery will be a huge improvement on the one you have.

doesn't have either of them mate, i can get 2x 2000mah batteries for a tenner is that a good price and theres a charger on the bay for 4.99 from rc geeks which charges 400mah an hour would that be any good for the time being as i dont really have 30 quid to spend on a charger until payday unless there are heaper ones out that are quick :)

Stick on a photo with the shell off, I'll have a look at it and see what is there and what you'll need.

400mah charger is way too slow, that will take forever. It may be worth waiting until you have the money for the better charger and batteries, no sense paying cheap then having to buy the proper stuff later.

You just need an ESC to sort that out, pop off a wheel and look under the black plastic wheel hex, if there is a white plastic bush, it will need the bearings too.

I'll stick on a pic of the set up on mine in the morning.