• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to buy?

Atky81

Hi guys, going to buy my 1st toy very shortly and just after some honest information.

As there is so many brands out there what do people really think of each brand, 1's to keep away from, 1's to really look at.

The same goes for engines, as i still haven't decided if I am getting a buggy or truggy yet, but heard anything with a .28 are a bugger to run. again thoughts etc what be grateful, only have another week to decide.

lastly, as it's my 1st nitro i don't want to be spending a small fortune, so for a full kit rtr i don't want to be spending anymore than 300-350 for everything, like modelsport sport combos.

Many Thanks.

Ill suggest it before anyone else dose, sure the Hyper fanboys will be along soon to back my up, and although I dont have one, is has a massive following on this fourm, its built like a tank, parts are easy to get and very cheap from ebay chop shops, there are also endless hop ups and mods galore out there if ur into that...(who isnt?)

and Im sure to start a debate as theres some people who will suggest anything but a hyper as they feel there a bit to "common" however for a beginer I fail to see how this is a bad thing?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-.21-3-port-edition/rc-car-products/367610

other cars to look at would be:

HPI - trophy / firestorm / any of the savages if there in ur budget.

and heard good things about the MTA4 but think its outside of ur budget.

good brands are:

Traxxas, hpi, hobao, and asmann (last one is very controversal and bound to land me in an arugment) and losi are all good makes

there are many others I havent mentiond and brands to stay away from are:

asmann (told ya this brand is like marmite)

and any of the super cheapones on eaby, theres a lot of ones on ebay that are sold as non tyamya or non hpi but make you think they are so I would avoid Ebay without very carefull reading of the describtion.

now I must confess I dont acutaly own any of the cars or brands mentions but this is what I have picked up so far and thought Id give you some stuff to look at and think about, however your best off not buynig anything untill someone with EXPERIANCE with said models and brands can give more detailed advice, this is just food for thought.

sorry for any typos, its 302 am and I am also trying to write a massive SA for collage tommoro so this has been a rushed repply.

• Like 2

I got the Hyper 7TQ2 .21 and have to say as a first it has been good, few issues operator error LOL, starting easy, even better if heated to start, tuning easy ( Don't touch the MSN), very robust and goes like stink! Even survived submarining it and stalling it!! Don't suggest you try though.

Easy to work on and parts are very cheap if you need them......?

I am an old chap with slow reactions (hence puddle issue) and never owned RC b4.

Enjoying so much trying to decide whether to get an ST truggy or a Savage as winter basher.

You need to decide whether you want a buggy/Truggy/monster really.

For your budget you can get a really decent buggy or truggy, and as mentioned the Hyper 7 TQ2 is really good. Don't be afraid of 28 engines in general, but the Hyper with a 28 does get a lot ofr stick. I had 2 of those engines and wouldn't go near another. If you wanted a truggy, i'd go for the Hong Nor X1X CRTovere the hyper st, partly because of the engine, and partly because of the rest of the spec.

Hong Nor parts are also cheap and readily available, however there's not so many people selling them on ebay as per the Hyper cars.

Buggy wise, the Hyper 7 Tq2 with the 21 engine is really good, or there's the X1X CR with the 25 engine in. Personally I think the Hong Nor looks to be the better spec, but the support levels are not quite up there with the hypers, but are still good.

You wouldn't be unhappy with any of those!

There, that's my 2 pence worth!

Thanks for the input everybody, I have not yet decided yet if to buy a buggy or truggy, but the one that keeps getting my attention is the Hyper SS with the .21 engine.

Does anybody have any reviews or input on these, as not finding much on the net yet.

just got the hpi bullet st 3.0 got to say am loving it easy to get started easy to tune fast and at 279 for the combo in your price range :)

Like above I have just got the hpi bullet mt 3.0 & hyave to say i find it awesome as a first/starter car. well in your budget, & in my (very limited) opinion well worth a look.

good brands are:

Traxxas, hpi, hobao, and asmann (last one is very controversal and bound to land me in an arugment) and losi are all good makes

there are many others I havent mentiond and brands to stay away from are:

asmann (told ya this brand is like marmite)

Just be aware that Ansmann have decided to shut down their RC business. You might want to factor this into any decision making or recommendations. http://www.msuk-foru...wn#entry1571786

Why avoid ansmanns its the perfect time to get one just make sure its one that team ale that way you still get parts long after ansmann stop doing them I'd recommend the deuce as its easily upgradable to a team c t8 here's mine 4593E4EA-6DB4-4E0A-A360-519593411A07-5192-0000047EE0129CCC.jpg only cost me

Edited by fatboyneil

Hi guys, going to buy my 1st toy very shortly and just after some honest information.

As there is so many brands out there what do people really think of each brand, 1's to keep away from, 1's to really look at.

The same goes for engines, as i still haven't decided if I am getting a buggy or truggy yet, but heard anything with a .28 are a bugger to run. again thoughts etc what be grateful, only have another week to decide.

lastly, as it's my 1st nitro i don't want to be spending a small fortune, so for a full kit rtr i don't want to be spending anymore than 300-350 for everything, like modelsport sport combos.

Many Thanks.

Get a Hyper 7 TQ2!

I have finally decided on the Hyper SS .21, I know this may be a bit of a gamble as there isn't any reviews I can find, or anybody that has 1 already, so I may as well be the guinea pig. :thumbsup:

Just been looking at the offers available and Modelsport offer this with a Hump Pack, could someone please tell me if this is worth having, also where on the chassis does it fit?, as things already look tight in there.

Any info and pic's would be grateful.

Someone has had some comments on one.

http://www.rctech.ne...5-hyper-ss.html

If you do get an SS, Wouldn't mind some pictures of the Gearbox housings, Just to confirm whether they are Hyper 7 / Hyper ST Gearbox housings. Because if they are then it means a whole lot of parts compatibility between the SS, 7, and ST.

For example, if the SS's new C-Hub and/Or A-Arms turn out to be better and more durable than the Stock Hyper 7's Suspension components , We could probably just swap in the Lower A-Arms and Hubs onto the Hyper 7.

And if the Shock Towers on the SS turn out to be too bendy for you Liking? Slap on the 8mm or 6mm 7075-T6 shocktowers from the Hyper ST Pro Truggy.

Hypers based on the H7/ST gearbox housing make for great tinkering/project Cars :P

Edited by GorillaZilla

Thanks for the link, I shall have the camera ready upon delivery for a photo bomb on a new thread. I should be back in the UK on Thursday so shall ring up and place my order.

Regarding the hump pack, anyone have photos and a quick run through what this does, please :D

I'd recommend the thunder tiger EB4 S2 pro, great buggy and goes like **** !!

A hump battery is a pyramid shaped rechargble battery that is three batteries in a sealed pack. And put it this way I just took the hump pack out my EB4, and fitted a simple battery box instead...

• 3 weeks later...

well I'm now the happy new owner of a hyper ss, ran a tank of fuel already and just near the end of the tank it started to run lumpy. no breaking in info came in the box so using info found from here just don't know with screw is which at the min for tuning the engine as I believe the next run will require a tweek to help it run, help please ,!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Not updated in a while, so quick update, got the engine broke in but still think it needs a little more tuning until its at its best, took it out for its 1st bash and all was going well until a rear wheel fell off, note to self make sure everything is tight, went on the search for the missing wheel nut has i am a noobe and have no spares, must of been my lucky day as i found it, wheel on and found a missing front diff mounting bolt, managed to borrow a bolt from a friend and was good to go again, then my luck finally run out. Throttle servo had packed up, no resistance at all, so that was my day over with and gutted, but 1so far very happy with the SS, got some good fed back from other nitro owners who only had good things to say about the new Hyper, but the was shocked how many things are new and different, front and rear suspension arms top and bottom are totally new design so no swapping with other hyper models.

Good news is got a metal gear throttle servo from modelsport the next day and old servo sent off for testing and hopefully replacement, and the buggy is now repaired and cleaned ready for its next out.

You can't go wrong with a Hyper really mate. Good, strong cars.

For parts and spares check out Hyperhale on ebay. Also these are good batteries for a receiver pack. Its the long ones you want.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vapextech-Batteries-and-Chargers_6v-Packs_W0QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_fsubZ4234343QQ_sasiZ1QQ_sidZ121222805QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322