• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

On 29/01/2017 at 14:07, Malcs RC said:

Hi here is my original  Tamiya lunchbox  that  I restored with original  parts

IMG-20170129-WA0000_zpskkdlx3d9.jpg

Alot sweat and tears went into this it was a flebay buy and it was a mess when it turned up lucky I managed to stripp paint completely off and primered painted to how looks now really happy it even got 1987 decals new windows got midnight pumpkin also to do

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. Noob here. Just ordered a Lunchbox. Should be here tomorrow. I'm like a child on Xmas Eve :lol:

I've seen someone doing a build on Youtube and they used a different type of grease. Is this a good idea or just a waste of money for a first timer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-1009-X-Tra-Heavy-Duty-Grease-454g-/291926439005?hash=item43f82bf45d:g:PsYAAOSwo0JWMKrC

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of building my Lunchbox and even as a noob I've decided I'm not overly impressed with the bits of wire that make up the rear suspension.

Are there any shocks (apart from the Tamiya CVA) that I can buy and just fit in place of the standard ones? Bear in mind that I'm new to all this and don't have a bag of bits of ball joints and tie rod ends from previous builds that I can dig into so I'm looking to buy something that will just fit.

Any ideas folks?

Edited by endure

hello :)

yes, yes there are some bolt on shocks (with damping) , that u can get.  Try searching this thread as I know they have been posted previously.  I even bought some but can not for the life of me remenber.  sry to be unhelpful :(

Thanks. I've ordered a set of the yellow Tamiya ones from Hong  Kong. It's slightly weird in that if you order the black ones you get two shocks yet for a couple of quid more you get a full set of four yellow ones.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Superglue will do the job. Doesn't have to be proper tyre glue. 

John

Thanks

is it just a case of pushing the tyre away from the rim and adding the glue 

around the rim both sides of the wheel

You can use thin superglue and pull the tyre away a bit and let the glue flow around the rim or thicker glue and work your way around the rim pulling the tyre away as you go. 

Thin is OK just so long as you don't use too much and it runs all over the place.

John

Edited by johninderby

Just to say I glued the Tyres's to the rim and I must say it's a vast improvement it now wheelies when you push the trigger forward

Edited by Hornet neil

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2017 at 22:30, endure said:

Thanks. I've ordered a set of the yellow Tamiya ones from Hong  Kong. It's slightly weird in that if you order the black ones you get two shocks yet for a couple of quid more you get a full set of four yellow ones.

Hi have you got a link for them please 

On 17/04/2017 at 11:35, sabreh24 said:

hi all just joined, started to restore my 1989 vintage Midnight Pumpkin today after i got home from work i have a few non destructive mods lined u as time and money permits

Ford F100 Midnight Pumpkin (2).jpg

Your tyres are on backwards...

• 2 months later...

Getting my first ever lunchbox thanks to the HK sale - I'll have a read from through the thread next week once we've broke up at work but i'd appreciate a brief summary of thought's / known issues / common upgrades (such as bearing sizes, as I assume being a Tamiya it'll have be stuck in the 80's with bushings.  That way I can get some bits on order ready for when I break up.

I've a PowerHD LW20 servo spare so long as it fits, will fit a spekky RX to use with my old DX3C and have already ordered a Hobbywing 1060 ESC, assuming the kit'll have a 540 27t motor.

thanks

Was very tempted to get one of the black Lunchboxes in the HK sale.

Oil shocks, 75mm front 85mm rear and also an 75mm to 85mm shock for the 5th shock mod. Some do fit 85mm at the front but 75mm gives a better suspension angle. RC Bearings does indeed do the bearing sets. Any standard servo will fit. Motor is the Tamiya standard silver can. 

Did you get the 1060 in the HK sale as well?

John

Just now, johninderby said:

Was very tempted to get one of the black Lunchboxes in the HK sale.

Oil shocks, 75mm front 85mm rear and also an 75mm to 85mm shock for the 5th shock mod. Some do fit 85mm at the front but 75mm gives a better suspension angle. RC Bearings does indeed do the bearing sets. Any standard servo will fit. Motor is the Tamiya standard silver can. 

Did you get the 1060 in the HK sale as well?

John

Cheers John, yes I did, price seemed reasonable.  I've got a few BL set ups knocking around but figured I'd keep it as retro as possible.  I'm supposed to be saving for a new Camera body... yet keep throwing cash at the hobby.   Speaking of which we break up at work Fri for 6 weeks so I'll nip on over for that GT3b set asap.

I always remember hanging my nose over the original in a hobby shop in newark as a child - it's one of my clearest early memories.  We had to make do with an original Rough Rider (black bumper model from mem) and Wild Willy as kids.  They never ran much, as with no one to help me I had no idea how to replace the odd shaped NiCAD packs that we had that held as much charge as balloon rubbed on a head, and for about as long to. 

It seemed rude not to at that price to be honest, plus I haven't built a tamiya from a new kit for a long long time.  That said my unbuilt / unrun RC list is growing to comic proportions, and will soon be rivaling my Steam unplayed games list in length.