• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

During this Covid 19 thingy I decided to get mine out and dust off the cobwebs and have a few bashes in the back garden 😆

It's been running quite well apart from the run when the gearbox come apart resulting in diff coming unassembled. Somehow the gearbox had last a few screws.

I've now fitted Traxxas Hawk/Eagle rims I had spare. Rears fitted fine but had to put a few spacers on front axle (old bushings). I've also trimmed some plastic off steering knuckle and wishbone to get more steering lock.

New body 13b.jpg

New body 14b.jpg

New body 15b.jpg

New body 16b.jpg

New body 17b.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kistner said:

Hey Legend Racer, what body is that?  It's a great fit.

Not 100% sure as i got it on a 1/12th banger but i think it's one of these

fordsonvan_ml.jpg

http://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Products/K0157

I'm going to get my lunchbox out the cupboard tonight and see what it needs to get running again. Lockdown has got me wanting to tinker again. I've ordered a couple of new kits to build but until they arrive it's lunchbox time!

On 10/04/2020 at 23:53, oodboo said:

Glue the rear tyres. You'll probably find the rims are spinning in the tryres when you accelerate.

Thanks for the tip. I have glued the tires but i am still not able to get it to wheelie. It looks to me like the front wheels are getting more power than the rear. Any further tips to resolve it?

Cheers.

48 minutes ago, Snowman1977 said:

It looks to me like the front wheels are getting more power than the rear. Any further tips to resolve it?

Cheers.

Should be rear wheel drive so front wheels shouldn't be spinning at all as there's no power to them. You haven't put the body on the wrong way have you?

Ignore me, I missed original post it's a mIni you have which are 4wd

Edited by Legend Racer

It is looking like a Lunchbox is going to be my next model - I was looking for a kit that would be fun to build for me, but also fun to razz around the lawn with my son whilst on lockdown. 
I’m almost ready to press “buy”, But just wondered if there’s anything else I need - any key upgrades etc?

Along side the Lunchbox kit I am ordering Rx/Tx, paint (TS-19 metallic blue to match my 1:1 van) and the bearing kit. I already have NiMH battery and charger. 

I think the first thing to break on my lunchbox was the body mounts. Should be able to get a set of alloy mounts off eBay. A half decent servo helps, something with metal gears. Other than that just have fun with it. 

• .AJ. pinned this topic

I've still got one in the box from 18 mths ago, simply haven't got round to building it yet, but when I do, its going to be bone stock...to start with anyway.  Including the bushings... 😲  Planning on it being my beach rig, so bearings prob not the best bet!

The Lunchbox is here, and built! Except the body, which I managed to put a horrible paint run in, so will be sanding back and trying again.

49811197916_58dd598066_c.jpgPaint run by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

At least the other side looks good though, the colour (Metallic Blue: TS19) is a good match for my 1:1 van.

49811496737_391bee63e9_c.jpgPaint after three coats by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Edited by craikeybaby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.im new to having RC models and have got a midnight pumpkin and have seen there is a piece made by AMpro for the rear suspension instead of a 5 shock does anyone know where I can get this part in the UK or is it only online from America...thanks

On 10/05/2020 at 10:31, Steve050 said:

Hello.im new to having RC models and have got a midnight pumpkin and have seen there is a piece made by AMpro for the rear suspension instead of a 5 shock does anyone know where I can get this part in the UK or is it only online from America...thanks

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2317376

If you look a few pages back, I had the above printed by 3dhubs.com

Since then they've changed their business model and now stick a big (like £60+) surcharge on small orders.

I am currently having some stuff printed by www.thirty6.co.uk who are not as cheap as 3dhubs were and have a £20 minimum order. One of those parts is only going to cost a few quid.

Do you know anyone with a 3d printer ? maybe you can find a cheap 3d print service ? or worst case get some other stuff printed to make the order up to £20..

• 2 weeks later...