• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

When cleaning... Be sure that there is no muck around the battery connections, and if by chance yo managed to get the electrics wet wd40 works a treat... Ensure the wheels spin freely and if you have added the bearing kit... Some wd40 on them and the suspension dampers wouldn't go a miss... The outer shell can be cleaned with warm soapy water... Just be careful if the truck shell isn't lacquered, not to peel the stickers off.

Thanks again Adam. I have ordered a sport tuned Tamiya motor which I believe will give me slightly more speed without having to do any more mods. Once I have completed the suggested mods, I will look to upgrade to brushless as you have done. Gives me a few weeks of playing using stock and then I will progressively mod as and when the bits arrive. Really looking forward to my own LB arriving in the next couple of days so I can get started. Need to think of a paint scheme that can be done relatively simply using the stock shell. Going forward I think I will get a lexan shell once I think of a proper paint job to do on it.

I used the foam inserts for 2 main reasons..... I run a brushless 10.5t brushless system with a 2s 45c 5000 mah lipo... Which throws the tyres of the rims at full throttle without them, and it adds a bit of weight, helps lower the centre of gravity... They still allow the tyre to compress and keep traction.

I note there are different types and sizes of inserts but cannot see any specifically for these tyres. Once these are inserted (they just fit inside the bulk of the tyre I presume?), do the tyres need gluing to the rims?

You guys take your lunchboxes seriously don't you??? :)

Main problem I'm having with mine is I keep breaking front wheels. Anyone else have this problem? Worsened by using foams and glueing the tyres. Also I can only seem to find wheels in sets leaving me with plenty spare rear wheels. Anyone bought the alloy wheels you can get for these? I had some alloy touring car wheels but couldn't get tyres to stick and this puts me off spending 40 odd quid on a set of alloy wheels.

• Like 1

I'm very new and inexperienced but it's something I quite enjoy. My wife always frowned upon me playing/building kits but now my ten year old has one, she has accepted it. Love it! Hence my own will be here soon. :) Breaking the front wheels? How does that happen? From landing wheelies/jumps of from going head on into hard things?

Edited by Monster LB

I note there are different types and sizes of inserts but cannot see any specifically for these tyres. Once these are inserted (they just fit inside the bulk of the tyre I presume?), do the tyres need gluing to the rims?

I got the pro-line dual inserts for 2.2 trucks from modelsport as you say... They sit in the void between rim and tyre.

You guys take your lunchboxes seriously don't you??? :)

Main problem I'm having with mine is I keep breaking front wheels. Anyone else have this problem? Worsened by using foams and glueing the tyres. Also I can only seem to find wheels in sets leaving me with plenty spare rear wheels. Anyone bought the alloy wheels you can get for these? I had some alloy touring car wheels but couldn't get tyres to stick and this puts me off spending 40 odd quid on a set of alloy wheels.

Just buy a set of tamiya 12mm hex wheel adapters your choice of wheels will be immensely increased... I've never broken a wheel yet... Even at 30+ mph....

Thanks again Adam. I have ordered a sport tuned Tamiya motor which I believe will give me slightly more speed without having to do any more mods. Once I have completed the suggested mods, I will look to upgrade to brushless as you have done. Gives me a few weeks of playing using stock and then I will progressively mod as and when the bits arrive. Really looking forward to my own LB arriving in the next couple of days so I can get started. Need to think of a paint scheme that can be done relatively simply using the stock shell. Going forward I think I will get a lexan shell once I think of a proper paint job to do on it.

The sport is a very sensible upgrade... And the stock tamiya esc will handle it... Be sure to order the bearing kit as priority as the friction brushes severely reduce running time and speed... You can order the kit off eBay for less than a fiver..

The Parma shells are harder to paint... And obviously don't have the fake chrome... But they're ideal to use as a bashing shell...

I tend to run mine to destruction at a local skate park so full speed off a 6 foot quarter pipe tends to destroy wheels pretty quickly. Maybe I should do less of that and my wheels will last longer.

As long as you have the money to keep repairing and replacing, why bother stopping? They're meant to be smashed about

As long as you have the money to keep repairing and replacing, why bother stopping? They're meant to be smashed about

True, they are pretty cheap on parts and take a good beating. Skip to 45s to see mine take a run at the ramp:

• Like 2

The sport is a very sensible upgrade... And the stock tamiya esc will handle it... Be sure to order the bearing kit as priority as the friction brushes severely reduce running time and speed... You can order the kit off eBay for less than a fiver..

The Parma shells are harder to paint... And obviously don't have the fake chrome... But they're ideal to use as a bashing shell...

Already got the bearing kit, that arrived before my car :( Also, it set me back

Hi, a stupid question perhaps but the foam tyre inserts - are they required for front and back? I presume so but given that they're sold in pairs, I thought it would be worth checking!

Yes, thought that myself. What are your thoughts on gluing tyres to rims? I guess it would be a necessity when using brushless system. I noted a ballooning video on you tube using brushless system and non glued tyres. Can't be sure if they had foams though

I had to glue my rear tyres with a sport tuned motor. The rims were slipping in the tyres. Had to glue the fronts as well as they were coming off the rims and jamming next to the shocks. That's using a 15t brushed motor.

To be honest, I was quite surprised it is not mentioned in the manual. It is not uncommon. I recall having to do it with my stock MB back in the day!

I had to glue my rear tyres with a sport tuned motor. The rims were slipping in the tyres. Had to glue the fronts as well as they were coming off the rims and jamming next to the shocks. That's using a 15t brushed motor.

You mention 15t brushed motor, I was advised yesterday that anything below 23t makes the handling more "interesting" than it already is! Don't get me wrong, I ultimately aim to go brushless in any case but have you struggled with handling a more powerful motor?

You mention 15t brushed motor, I was advised yesterday that anything below 23t makes the handling more "interesting" than it already is! Don't get me wrong, I ultimately aim to go brushless in any case but have you struggled with handling a more powerful motor?

Tamiya cva shocks, 5th shock mod and tyres foams - handles great, even corners pretty well.