• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my rc speed project!

arogon1235

hi i am currently planning my rc car speed project i am aiming for 100mph+ i will be using a maxamps lipo the 5450 4s one.the motor still havent decided and the esc is a mamba max pro and the car well i dont know what one to get so if you got any ideas it would be very helpful

i will be planning to run it at the 2013 ROSSA speed event which will be on the 17-18th august could change though.

Edited by arogon1235

If you go and check the ROSSA results page, you'll see that year after year only 1 or 2 people ever break the 100mph barrier. In fact, digging deeper its mostly the same people ever time as well.

Now using a speed calculator, there are loads of motor/cell combinations that should be able to propel a car to that speed, but it seems most don't manage it on the day. In fact, most don't even manage more than 'out of the box' claimed speeds!

The reason is that making a speed run car isn't at all easy. Power is in plentiful supply, but control is not. I built a speed run car myself out of an RC18T - on a dyno it suggested 72mph at the wheels, factoring in resistance I figured 60+ in the real world. But actually every time I tried to clock it I couldn't get a better speed than my racing 1/10ths (around 45mph). It had the power to go faster, but keeping it under control for long enough to clock a time was just too difficult.

From this I have realised that the way to build a speed run car is to start with the chassis and worry about the electrics later. Any other way is a waste of time and money.