• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Lunchbox Build

n_d_fox

The moth pretty much totalled the one side of the van... once the primer was dry i managed to wet sand the marks out but its taken it back pretty deep. I've added primer back to that section alone so hopefully its levelled out ok once it dries. Will give it a very light sand with the wet paper and call it done as far as the primer goes.

It was going so well too... :D :D

Dont worry mate... my other hobby is detailing cars and wet sanding is something i do when its needed.

I've left the body overnight next to a radiator after each coat of primer then after each wet sand - aside from the moth incident which i needed to do something about quicker... so far its taken me 4 days to get where we are now - ready for colour, if i wasnt wet sanding i could have got to colour in a day as the primer dries hard enough in about 2 hours.

I find wet sanding creates a smoother finish than dry sanding... its also less abbrasive to the surface due to less heat building up through there being lubricated friction.

Cheers, Nige

Edited by n_d_fox

Small update but no pics yet unfortunately...

I've been working away from home during the day over the past few days so progress has slowed... i did manage to get a very thin first coat of colour on the body... just a dusting really to start things off. It looks pretty smart so i'll try and upload the pics later on. i'm also hoping to make more progress over the next few days too.

I'm going to order new glass and chrome kit for it too... the old items arent going to cut it i'm afraid. The decals will be sorted today... i'm just wondering whether to order the RadShape front bumper / skid plate at the same time or not !? ;)

Cheers, Nige

First coat of colour added... nice and light coat just to get some colour on the primer and see how things went...

DSCF1957.jpg

DSCF1958.jpg

This was a couple of days ago and as i said above, i havent had chance to get anymore added since... going to try and get a 2nd coat on it later.

Cheers, Nige

While you guys are all talking about painting, it got me thinking about using a lexan shell for bashing and then having the hard shell when its on the shelf. Has anyone used a lexan shell on a l.b I know there are available, if you have was there any probs?

Only 3 mods done 2 useful 1 just a bit of bling, heatsink i wasnt happy with the finishng so i flatted all the machining marks out of it and re-polished it on the wheel it doesnt show well but i did the lettering with some green enamal, no pics but i have now fitted a pair of alloy servo mounts too.

Another 7-10 days for the old skool mod as it coming from another country, new tires come today

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

005-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

Shock mount and heatsink look the business Flash... ;)

Bazbill - As far as i know the lexan shells are fine... obviously the detail isnt as high but there is hardly no weight in them so they actually improve the stability of the LB and lower the centre of gravity. I've seen quite a few people running them on other forums.

Got a 2nd coat of colour on the shell yesterday evening... there was a bit of a reaction on the one side at the roof line which i think was due to moisture... i'm having to spray outside and the conditions arent ideal really. Either that or as Flash warned, moisture in the primer :(

Anyway... i've let it dry completely and rubbed it down smooth... you can still see the "bubbles" in the paint but its smooth and unless i get aggresive with it and go back down to primer with it there isnt anything more i can do.

Its been on the radiator all night so it properly dry and hard now so i'll see how a thin layer goes over it and go from there.

This is the side thats fine

DSCF1959.jpg

This is the side thats gone a bit pear shaped

DSCF1960.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

Close up it looks like bubbles / holes in the paint... its as smooth as i can get it to the touch so fingers crossed... it's been rubbed back and left to dry overnight on the radiator so we'll see what happens later.

Got a 2nd coat of colour on the shell yesterday evening... there was a bit of a reaction on the one side at the roof line which i think was due to moisture... i'm having to spray outside and the conditions arent ideal really.

Too much wet and dry rubbing down, that's ya problem *winks* :D

Too much wet and dry rubbing down, that's ya problem *winks* :D

Yeah... Flash warned me too... i must admit, it had been drying for what was more than enough time for the previous stages but i suppose just not long enough this time.

Good news is i've just put a thin coat over it and although the pitting is still just visible the paint covered ok without any further reactions to the surface. The next coat should cover it completely and we'll be back to a smooth surface again ;)

Going to pick up some laquer later i think... at least with a few layers on it will reduce the damage to the colour when i finally get the whole thing running

Going to pick up some laquer later i think... at least with a few layers on it will reduce the damage to the colour when i finally get the whole thing running

I'm looking forward to the final result - I'm deffo gonna use lacquer on my next Lunchbox rebuild.