• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beginner 1/10 Electric Touring Car

quackyduck-190

To quandra - to upgrade the 415 to 417 plastics you can buy the tb03 sets of uprights and c-hubs. The entire set is less than a tenner, pop in new bearings (again less than a fiver) and hey presto!

As to a spool I just used my trf415 spool. What was your issue with using that?

I didn't have one. My first proper TC was a 2nd hand 415MS and it came with a front and centre one way and I really struggled to find a spool. My second proper TC was a 2nd hand 415MSXX but this came with a completely knackered front ball diff and still no spool. It does sound like I was making life difficult with my 415's. I still have seperate bags of spares for them and the 416/417's.

Just out of interest how did you fit the battery into your 415?

But yeah as ratman said he should go for the car that is popular at his club. Even though I feel everyone should be driving a Tamiya it's not always the best way to go xD

For a beginner maybe the best choice would be a T3R. I always have trouble finding XRay parts but I do have a T3R which was fully upgraded to T3. It is cheap enough for a start and it has all the bells and whistles that a TC needs. More importantly you don't throw it away as you get more intro racing. You simply upgrade the parts slowly and sell the old ones or keep them for spares.

T3R would do well at our club as there are a few people running T3 cars.

Quantra i agree with you about everyone should drive tamiyas, Since i got my 417 I have improved by over 5 positions at my club. I even make it into the A final ocassionally.lol

I have just bought a TT-01E RTR and am loving it.

Our local club track has a TT-01 class that has rules to limit excessive spending and keep it competitive.

Best to do as everyone has said and go around to the track and the local hobby shops and see what everyone else is running, classes, etc.

Its great fun and addictive. The TT-01 has alot of hop-up parts and you can end up dumping alot of cash into so be careful as not everything is worth the money.

Best of luck, whatever you get youll have a blast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son has a tt01 that is currently being built, but only because my son is only 7 and I agreed to my sponsor that if they gave me the car, I would build it up step by step, and do a review for them which will be put on their website.

If he was a bit older, I would have looked at either a ta05 of some version, or an xray t3r. Strong cars, unlike the trf which I would not really suggest to someone totally new to racing as they can be a bit fragile in inexperienced hands.

As much as my son asks, I wont let him near my trf415, it is too fragile for him.

The front uprights and hubs are the weak point IMO, especially when its a small track with wooden track markings on the outside...

Get to your local club and see what is being raced would be my answer. Then see what is popular. If it's popular, its popular for a reason. Plus there is a better chance of being able to get the car fixed with the help of others around you should you break something and dont have the parts yourself.

I was given my 415msxx from new, so I cant complain about the car, just stating that it can be a bit fragile at times :whistling: lol

On the 415 you could just run ta05ifs uprights and c-hubs. (not the ifs-r ones) my lad races my old updated 415 with these (he is 9) and as they are made of softer plastic they absorb the knocks from the wooden track borders and son. Break like the carbon re-enforced ones.