• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Raven with LEDs for night flying.

Wing arrived this morning, just in the process of building it. Not built any foam things before, bit of a ballache, I like nuts and bolts lol. How do you attached the motor to the ply block on the back? It says glue the ply square to the motor block then attach the other bit to the motor but no method of joining the two or screws for that matter? The instructions aren't the best to be fair.

Edited by Sandmaster Ben

Wing arrived this morning, just in the process of building it. Not built any foam things before, bit of a ballache, I like nuts and bolts lol. How do you attached the motor to the ply block on the back? It says glue the ply square to the motor block then attach the other bit to the motor but no method of joining the two or screws for that matter? The instructions aren't the best to be fair.

See step 3 in your manual...

align the motor mount up with the plywood mount.so the mount is central to the ply..

Mark the holes on the plywood from the motor mount , screw motor mount to motor ..

Drill plywood where you marked the holes from the mount.

(use 2M x 10mm bolts) bolt motor mount to plywood.

use loads of quick epoxy to glue the plywood mount too the foam,,

Tip.

before you glue.. dry fit first..

where the bolts come through the plywood/nuts remove a little foam from behind each nut ,

so that there is a recess for the nut to sit in..

Once every thing lines up OK ..

Then mix the Epoxy , fill the four recesses with epoxy.and spread over the foam mount.

Push together , hold untill 5 mins epoxy setts..

Edited by seanmcgrath48

Step 3 doesn't show any of that it just says stick ply to foam. No mention of attaching motor to ply. No drilling holes or bolts etc. I so far have just stuck the ply to the foam, if I bolted the mount on first I wouldn't be able change the motor.

Step 3 doesn't show any of that it just says stick ply to foam. No mention of attaching motor to ply. No drilling holes or bolts etc. I so far have just stuck the ply to the foam, if I bolted the mount on first I wouldn't be able change the motor.

The Raven is pretty fast with the motor that comes with the mega deal kt..

If you've allready glued the plywood on,the only other way to mount the motor mount X is with self tapping screws,

that way you can still remove the motor mount and fit another motor.

The Raven is pretty fast with the motor that comes with the mega deal kt..

If you've allready glued the plywood on,the only other way to mount the motor mount X is with self tapping screws,

that way you can still remove the motor mount and fit another motor.

Yes that's my plan, self tappers / wood screws then I can change it if I have a problem or want to upgrade etc. It looks good though. I put a strip of wood across the top for added strength. Just watching the weight on the scales and hoping to keep it under 350grams. Its at about 300g without LED's or coloured tape at present.

Yes that's my plan, self tappers / wood screws then I can change it if I have a problem or want to upgrade etc. It looks good though. I put a strip of wood across the top for added strength. Just watching the weight on the scales and hoping to keep it under 350grams. Its at about 300g without LED's or coloured tape at present.

Any build along photos?

Got a few, Not every stage but just a few I took as I went along. I cut a slight recess out and glued in a strip of wood with UHU POR. Really has made it solid. Will be much more so when tape is added.

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0480.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0490.jpg

IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

Edited by Sandmaster Ben
  • Like 1

I'm not as worried now if yours is over 500g. They say max 350 but if yours flys spot on I don't need to worry

Yep . . mine flys great.

My Raven will glide hands off fine with no power ,even with the extra weight .

still trying to hand catch it on landings..lol...

Yep . . mine flys great.

My Raven will glide hands off fine with no power ,even with the extra weight .

still trying to hand catch it on landings..lol...

hand catching is easy you only have to ask walter he/s seen me doing it with my wing