• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja Brakes ..... or rather .... it doesn't!

Nitroholic

Seems to be an ongoing issue, which I have decided it's time to really cure. I like having good brakes not just for the stopping, but for the cornering too. Braking allows you to kick the tail round and turn tighter, drift a bit, and generally have a good time. Poor brakes mean the turning circle of a supertanker, and the concerns of hitting things I really don;t want to hit!

Stock brakes were poor. Stock servo was poor.

1) Fitted better servo. Currently a 12kg servo. Didn't make any difference. How much do I need to spend on a servo to help here?

2) Fitted Vertigo triple pads.... was a bit better in the dry...but boy are tehy affected by dirt. Get them a bit dusty or greasy and the stopping goes west. In fact..it seems to be affected by everything from sunspots to the conjunction of Jupiter and Uranus....One day it works...the next it doesn't. Cleaning it doesn't seem to make much odds either.

So what's next....

Cable front discs? .... have them on my FG and they are OK but need setting up and adjusting as the cables stretch. Affordable solution...but the biggest issue I have with them is they only work when the front wheels are actually on the ground....so they need to be used as well as the rear

Hydraulic fronts? ... Can't afford to spend

The problem with buying used hydros is that they usually end up costing just as much as new in the long run. My mecatechs only worked properly for a couple of meetings before the main piston seals had gone, replaced the piston and now the caliper seals are leaking so have to change them this week.

What about a single hydro on the rear layshaft, works well on other cars, you can still keep the single throttle/brake servo then. Tbh when I was using a 12kg servo on my hormann layshaft brake it wasn't really up to the job, pretty sure my current servo is 20kg and that operates both my layshaft and front hydros.

Edited by animal47

I was having the same kind of missadventure with brakes !!! and i have a 7955tg hitec on the throttle brakes so i know it wasnt a question of torque but more a question of pad performance.

i came across a good cheap alternative and i now have brakes that i have to use with feathering !!! and that must be setup correctly or watch out for broken dogbone pins !

dscn0791ee.jpg

They are organic brakes and are really night and day for braking.

i bought mine from a french site over here but i have seen them on ebay.

Dry dust and wet conditions are no longer a problem either.

• Like 1

I will keep an eye out for a set of those pads Baorevo....they look interesting. The Vertigo setup does seem very condition sensitive and I think it's down to the hard pads. I sometimes get good braking...sometimes none at all!

Animal47... your experiences with used hydros are much the same as my concerns over cheapo ones. Hydros have to be in good order to work. If the seals are not good.... and I know from 1:1 bike brakes, they need looking after or they cost money. Used brakes are always going to be a gamble. The big question, though, is whether they are worth the outlay for bashing.

Highland3r ... a better servo might well improve things....so I might have to give that a shot first and see how I get on. Mind you...the linkage setup on a Baja can't help. Would work so much better if they had found a way to rear mount the servo with a shorter rod....with a lighter servo on throttle running off a Y-lead. hmmmm....

I found the baja Front cables an absolute pain on the baja as it shares its servo horn with the throttle brake, unlike the old marder I had with cables that had its own servo via a Y lead located where the rx box usually sits, i gave my cable fronts to Kyoshokev as I found that trying to set the rear with the fronts was beyond frustrating as I could get the fronts to do their job but the rear was more useless than usual, set the rear and the fronts where pointless, pm Kev nitro and see how he got on with them mate, being a scaff I do have fingers like sausages so finesse is not a strong point so to speak. At the moment my rear does lock the wheels with stock pads/disks/rotor star I think the hitec servo is good for 15kg but I've tried the fuel tube mod to no avail so have set a collet to pull the brake arm, with the return spring the other side, I'b basically kinda reversed the stock setup so to speak, the brake is either on or off, I'll take a picture if it helps nitro?

I use these on on my baja and they are great...

http://rc-car-online-shop.de/shop/en/products/y0056-ht-baja-5b-ss-premium-front-disk-brake-y0056-set.html

Rc-online also stock the full range of spear parts (not that I have needed them). These brakes are made from billet alloy and fit easily to the car. Mine is currently set up with a 70/30 split so the engine has time to dis-engage and the rear brake can start to lock up before the front brakes engage.

Mine has a stock rear brake and did notice the stopping distance almost halve after fitting them.

As for the rear brake pads and discs, I do periodically take them off and give them a light rubbing with wet&dry to bring up the surface which helps a great deal too.

i also have issues with the brakes on my baja.

i did a test recently on how my brakes perform, stopping distance was about 3 feet better with brakes than without, but still looking at a good 20feet from full speed.

i have got the yammadude linkage and a savox 1256mg along with the turtle racing brake mount.

at this point i'm unsure what to do with it now, but i need to do something because it makes driving a problem

the pads are a little thinner but the disks are twice the thickness of the standard hpi ones, been having an issue fitting due to a rounded screw on my gear plate so new parts are on order and hopefully tomorrow i'll let you know how they are

I was having the same kind of missadventure with brakes !!! and i have a 7955tg hitec on the throttle brakes so i know it wasnt a question of torque but more a question of pad performance.

i came across a good cheap alternative and i now have brakes that i have to use with feathering !!! and that must be setup correctly or watch out for broken dogbone pins !

dscn0791ee.jpg

They are organic brakes and are really night and day for braking.

i bought mine from a french site over here but i have seen them on ebay.

Dry dust and wet conditions are no longer a problem either.

What brakes are these?

RCR brakes are fantastic. I've ran them for around half a year now and they are just as good as they were on day on, only issue is that even after i've broke the baja still slides forward. So i'm thinking about getting some front brakes eventually.

But certainly i'd say that RCR's are the best option for rear brakes. :punk:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to pick up an old thread, but I am annoyed with my vertigo carbon brakes - they are just as Nitroholic says - iffy!

Those Rovan Copper pads look like a steal, but I hate using the rotor in the middle -  they keep braking on me - so 2 questions.

What was the outcome of the you brake discovery Nitroholic?

And I was thinking of replacing the rotor (if I have only a 2 pad setup) with a 3rd disk? Would that work?

Thanks,

R.

er.....outcome....let me think...

BUY THE RCR ONES

I fitted them, the brakes worked, and I have just completely forgotten about them being there. They stop the car up to the limit of rear wheel grip.

I found the Vertigo ones sitting in the bottom of my parts bin the other day, and they are staying there

• Like 1